Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Mac (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/mac/)
-   -   An iPad thread that hopefully doesn't get closed. (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/mac/30932-ipad-thread-hopefully-doesnt-get-closed.html)

belgolas April 12, 2010 07:06 PM

An iPad thread that hopefully doesn't get closed.

This video may make you vomit but it is a very cool concept. This is by far the best book for kids and the pop-up book is now officially dead.

YouTube - Alice for the iPad

This along with lots of other cool full colored interactive books proves that the iPad is a better book reader.

Pelt April 12, 2010 07:36 PM

I don't care what anyone else says. That is f'cking cool. I've already stated that I intend to purchase an Ipad mostly for movies when I'm at sea, but I can see myself buying interactive books like the one in the video, especially children's stories the kids would totally get a kick out of it. Now the only question is how much will they cost. I've already heard lots of complaining about the cost of ebooks in the Itunes store.

I will say this though I still think the Ipad isn't the best e-reader. Although I base this on my experience trying to read off of my Ipod touch on the bus. If it's overcast it's not to bad but on bright days the glare is to much, I have to turn the brightness up, which helps but it burns up the battery pretty quick. I'm guessing it's the same on the Ipad. The Ipad isn't all things to all people but as it matures it will find it's place or people will find one for it.

I know this statement may start off a bit of a flame war (which I will not particiapte in) but here goes. The Ipad is a game changer. I know there have been Tablet computers made in the past to varying degrees of popularity. But those tablets weren't accessible to the general public. They found homes primarily in the drafting world. The operating systems for them didn't take full advantage of what a tablet could do, they basically just replaced the mouse cursor with a pen or your finger. Apple makes interfacing with touch screens intuative and natural and it's this aspect of the Ipad that changes the game. As sure as the sun rises tomorrow we will see future tablets made by competitors use this formula in there machines. Others will come along and do what Apple has done with the Ipad better, but they will be playing catch up with Apple's mobile devices interface. My 2 cents.

Perineum April 12, 2010 07:40 PM

I can't say it makes it a better book reader. I think the arguments made by others regarding the type of screen has been done to death. Why not just let it go?

You like it. Congratulations, you're a unique individual as most others don't like it. Should you be proud? I don't know. Maybe you're a sheep or maybe we're the sheep. Either way, most of us are beyond caring anymore.

The real point is, the majority of people don't see the iPad for having a real purpose. It's a solution looking for a problem. Nothing, and I really mean NOTHING you say is going to change what we think.

Save your time for something useful.

However, that is a neat app. I can see it's usefulness for certain things.

_dangtx_ April 12, 2010 07:52 PM

ppl in the know, how well does the ipad play movies, genre 10 or so gig mkv's in the 1080 range?

Sushi Warrior April 12, 2010 08:07 PM

Oh boy! I would love kids shaking a $500-$900+ dollar gadget like it is a toy!

chrisk April 12, 2010 08:27 PM

Pretty cool app! I see some uses for this actually.

There is a serious problem right now in primary and elementary school classes where boys lag behind girls in reading interest (and thus ability). Boys tend to respond positively to the use of technology in reading tasks, and something like this could help grab their attention.

belgolas April 12, 2010 09:55 PM

I hope this thread doesn't turn into a flame fest again. If you don't like the iPad we have all heard your arguments. You don't have to post in every apple thread. I don't post in a Chevy forum why I don't like their products.

I love some of the cool this being done with the iPad.

This is MLB at Bat 2010 app for the iPad. It is so cool but I still don't think that could make me watch baseball.
YouTube - MLB at Bat 2010 for iPad Review

Or a quick small vid on VNC for the iPad. Very cool. You could even watch flash movies and somewhat play flash games. Very cool.
YouTube - Remote Desktop on the Apple iPad

This is a long review of some cool apps.
YouTube - Cool iPad Apps

These are some AWESOME apps.
YouTube - 10 Must Have iPad Apps

And many more. Feel free to post your own apps that you think are cool.

Neolithium_Wpg April 12, 2010 10:06 PM

I have to avoid the wife seeing this thread, she just got a notebook - last thing I need is her wanting an iPad now LOL

Zero82z April 12, 2010 10:36 PM

That's kind of neat, but I like to read books, not play with them. That might be cool for a kid, but for most people the novelty would wear off quickly.
Quote:

Originally Posted by _dangtx_ (Post 362613)
ppl in the know, how well does the ipad play movies, genre 10 or so gig mkv's in the 1080 range?

The iPad has a 1024x768 display. Playing 1080p videos on it would be a complete waste.

m1dget April 12, 2010 10:46 PM

Very nice application.