Go Back   Hardware Canucks > Mac, iPhone & iPod > Mac

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 27, 2010, 04:07 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synth View Post
Pretty sure he was talking about a "game FAQ", not gamefaq.com ...
Alright. My argument still applies though. You would need to compare an equivalent physical document to a digital one to be able to judge which one is easier to search through. A properly-prepared hard copy of a FAQ (strategy guide, anyone?) is just as easy to search through as a digital one in my opinion.
Old April 27, 2010, 04:12 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
Alright. My argument still applies though. You would need to compare an equivalent physical document to a digital one to be able to judge which one is easier to search through. A properly-prepared hard copy of a FAQ (strategy guide, anyone?) is just as easy to search through as a digital one in my opinion.
Just to play devils advocate....BUT the operative term there is "properly prepared". If aint....you is SOL. Try finding a pertinent quote from a novel for an example in frustration.... Whereas any digital document, be a simple txt file to a multi-chapter pdf to a CHM, etc etc can easily be searched. Hell IF the unit is powerful enough (which the ipad ain't) a search should be nearly instantaneous.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old April 27, 2010, 04:39 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
Just to play devils advocate....BUT the operative term there is "properly prepared". If aint....you is SOL. Try finding a pertinent quote from a novel for an example in frustration.... Whereas any digital document, be a simple txt file to a multi-chapter pdf to a CHM, etc etc can easily be searched. Hell IF the unit is powerful enough (which the ipad ain't) a search should be nearly instantaneous.
Fair enough, but as far as textbooks are concerned, I still think a physical copy is better overall than a digital one.
Old April 27, 2010, 04:44 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I think the bible is as properly prepared as you can get. Not only do you have pages numbers and chapters you also have verses. So if a person can find something much faster with a digital copy of the bible than a physical one than you argument is invalid. This is a best case scenario too as chances are you are not going to have parts of your science text book memorized.

And AKG you don't need much power to use search.

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."
Old April 27, 2010, 05:05 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
Fair enough, but as far as textbooks are concerned, I still think a physical copy is better overall than a digital one.
I agree. I love way more to read on paper than on pdf... even if I have about 13GB of computer related pdfs in my 'elibrary' to my disposal.
I even bought a printer just to be able to read them anywhere and not having to carry a laptop with me.

Though since I don't want to print anything over 200-250 pages, I buy everything else used and new sometimes on amazon.