Go Back   Hardware Canucks > Mac, iPhone & iPod > Mac

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 23, 2010, 08:23 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by belgolas View Post
But for most classes it is perfect and reading all your text books on it without having to lug around 100lbs of books. Plus you save money buying the text books digitally. My brother spends about $800 a year on text books and would save money going with an iPad than buying a new laptop.
Might be off-topic a little, but how big is the price difference bewteen a college/university textbook that is print vs digital? How many books are available digital? Is the $800 price new or used?

The 6 years I went to university (well, I did 6 years of courses in 5 years), the vast majority of books I bought were used. I paid 50-60% of the new price. Only on 2-3 occasions did I have to buy the book new, and once was because I was slow looking for the book.

If the iPad can save money on texts, then I might change my stance on it if you can provide some more details as I might be in a position to pass this helpful info along.
Fold for team #54196
Old April 23, 2010, 08:35 AM
Hall of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskwarren View Post
Might be off-topic a little, but how big is the price difference bewteen a college/university textbook that is print vs digital? How many books are available digital? Is the $800 price new or used?

I have bought a few online E-textbooks. Saved around $50 for one online version; cost me $120+- (Though I wound up wasting that much on ink when I printed it out to study). The other few I have bought Chapter by Chapter so I only spent about $30-$50 for what I need out of the book.

As far as prices go you spend about the same as a used textbook.

The biggest problem - You can't resell online text books. (Unless you crack the DRM) Buying used textbooks you can always sell them again for around the same price you pay if you don't destroy them.

I've stopped buying them unless I can do it chapter by chapter because I actually find it difficult to read and retain information from a computer screen, vs. actual paper.
Old April 23, 2010, 08:38 AM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

I'd take a real book over a digital copy any day. It's a pain in the ass to use a digital textbook if you need to quickly find something, because you can't just flip through the pages quickly like you can with a hard copy.
Old April 23, 2010, 11:31 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiXT View Post
I have bought a few online E-textbooks. Saved around $50 for one online version; cost me $120+- (Though I wound up wasting that much on ink when I printed it out to study). The other few I have bought Chapter by Chapter so I only spent about $30-$50 for what I need out of the book.

As far as prices go you spend about the same as a used textbook.

The biggest problem - You can't resell online text books. (Unless you crack the DRM) Buying used textbooks you can always sell them again for around the same price you pay if you don't destroy them.

I've stopped buying them unless I can do it chapter by chapter because I actually find it difficult to read and retain information from a computer screen, vs. actual paper.

That is a huge disappointment; I have not used E-books, and I did not know that you could not transfer the file.

I know that I sold most of my books to help pay for beer...er I mean more texts next semester; I kept some thinking that I would like to use them, and I could not tell you where they are as I have moved too many times and they are probably sitting in an attic in NF somewhere. I should have just sold them for more...books.

If the files are not transferrable and I cannot sell them to another iPad/E-reader user, then the digital copy scenario is a fail for most except those with money to burn.

I would also think that telling a prof the day of the exam/assignment due date 'I did not get all my studying done because my iPad malfunctioned.'
Fold for team #54196
Old April 23, 2010, 11:55 AM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi Warrior View Post
Oh boy! I would love kids shaking a $500-$900+ dollar gadget like it is a toy!
yeah, as if wiimotes destroying hdtvs isn't enough
Gigabyte HD 6970 OC
Gigabyte Z68X-UDH3-B3
Seasonic 760W
Coolermaster Hyper 212+
CM690 w/ 1-80mm, 6-120mm fans.
Old April 23, 2010, 05:16 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
I'd take a real book over a digital copy any day. It's a pain in the ass to use a digital textbook if you need to quickly find something, because you can't just flip through the pages quickly like you can with a hard copy.
You can flip through infinitely faster. There is a scroll bar of the right side that zips through pages. Plus you can always use search. There is also a dictionary for any word you don't understand that you will stumble across.

Ya didn't think about selling them. That is a minus.

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."
Old April 23, 2010, 06:52 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
You can flip through infinitely faster. There is a scroll bar of the right side that zips through pages.
Try flipping from page 50 to page 800 of a 1000-page hard textbook. Now try doing that with a digital textbook. You'll find that it's much easier with a physical copy. As for searching for things, that's what the index is for. As long as you can spell, it shouldn't take you any longer to find something in a real textbook using the index than it would to search for something in a digital one.

Also, the only way anything can be infinitely faster than something else is if one thing never actually accomplishes the task or if the other accomplishes it in zero time.
Old April 23, 2010, 08:21 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Try flipping from page 50 to page 800 of a 1000-page hard textbook. Now try doing that with a digital textbook. You'll find that it's much easier with a physical copy. As for searching for things, that's what the index is for. As long as you can spell, it shouldn't take you any longer to find something in a real textbook using the index than it would to search for something in a digital one.

Also, the only way anything can be infinitely faster than something else is if one thing never actually accomplishes the task or if the other accomplishes it in zero time.
Well I can tell you from first hand that (this is gonna sound weird) when doing bible drills the people that have it on a device like the iPhone or iPod Touch can always find verses faster than people using books unless they happened to open to the page. Search engines will always be faster. Go to a game FAQ and try and find something. It will be much much MUCH faster to use crtl f.

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."
Old April 23, 2010, 08:43 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Well I can tell you from first hand that (this is gonna sound weird) when doing bible drills the people that have it on a device like the iPhone or iPod Touch can always find verses faster than people using books unless they happened to open to the page.
All that proves is that those people are better at using their gadgets than they are at reading. Not a very good sign. You need to get those people to read more books and spend less time playing with their iPhones.
Quote:
Go to a game FAQ and try and find something. It will be much much MUCH faster to use crtl f.
You're using a website as an example to contradict my claim that it's just as easy to find something in a book by using the index as it is to search through a digital document. Do I need to explain to you why that makes no sense? I think you can probably figure it out if you think about it for a bit.
Old April 27, 2010, 09:15 AM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
You're using a website as an example to contradict my claim that it's just as easy to find something in a book by using the index as it is to search through a digital document. Do I need to explain to you why that makes no sense? I think you can probably figure it out if you think about it for a bit.
Pretty sure he was talking about a "game FAQ", not gamefaq.com ...

And IMO, reading on a screen requires the same skills as reading a hard copy. You still have analyze and interpret the meaning of the data... you can find a fine example of this 1 post above mine