Go Back   Hardware Canucks > Mac, iPhone & iPod > Mac

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 21, 2010, 03:29 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thund3rball View Post
Wait till Xmas. Just like Wii and PS3 these will probably still be a hot item then. Unless of course the world wakes up and realizes no one actually needs one of these things, lol.
Up to now at least 500k person disagree with you :P
Old April 21, 2010, 03:45 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1dget View Post
Up to now at least 500k person disagree with you :P
He said needs, not wants.
Old April 21, 2010, 03:59 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Had my first encounter with an iPad today. We had a consultant give a brief presentation using a powerpoint on it. He brought his laptop too, just incase, lol. Now that's handy! Why carry a laptop when you can carry a laptop AND an iPad. :)

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old April 21, 2010, 05:52 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi Warrior View Post
He said needs, not wants.
We are in an american society, get used to materialistic people messing up those two words together. ;)

My statement still stands for those who 'needs' it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thund3rball View Post
Had my first encounter with an iPad today. We had a consultant give a brief presentation using a powerpoint on it. He brought his laptop too, just incase, lol. Now that's handy! Why carry a laptop when you can carry a laptop AND an iPad. :)
Because he needs his laptop for actual work(?) o.O

Edit Arinoth: Please use the edit button instead of double posting as this is against the new rules that came out on April 15th.

Last edited by Arinoth; April 22, 2010 at 08:00 AM. Reason: Read the Rules, Do not Double post
Old April 21, 2010, 10:45 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1dget View Post

Because he needs his laptop for actual work(?) o.O

Edit Arinoth: Please use the edit button instead of double posting as this is against the new rules that came out on April 15th.
Well I can't really say but it certainly validates one of my concerns with the iPad... it isn't solving any problem. It is just adding another gadget to carry around that can easily be superseded by something most people already have. :\

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old April 22, 2010, 05:32 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

IMO, it definitly can't replace a laptop. it can be handy to read news on the morning, in the bus but it definitly lack the portability that i'dd want of such a device. so now we'd need a laptop, a phone, a device that mostly every task can be done by the 2 previously said devices ? If I had a lot of cash to waste, I'dd prolly get one, but otherwise, not. The good point of it is how it -maybe- could help some people with a certain handicap.
Old April 23, 2010, 12:05 AM
Rookie
F@H

How do you actually take notes on this thing if you have a keyboard for it? Is there some sort of stand to make it stand up for you to be able to do so? (I'd imagine there should be..or else it'd be pretty hard to take notes when it is flat down on the table). I just cant see it really replacing a laptop for note-taking in uni classes though, regardless of how you put it.

Otherwise, it seems like a very interesting and fun device. For me personally the price tag associated to something like this isn't really helping the cause though lol. Its definitely a want...but not something I'd need to use when I have a laptop already.
Old April 23, 2010, 05:55 AM
Allstar
F@H

I have a notebook, and I come across certain situations where I would actually find the iPad more useful:

- In airports and airplane, its size probably makes it easier to whip out than your notebook.
- From hotels, to waiting rooms, to a car : I spend a considerable amount of time waiting/lounging in one of those 3, so the iPad would be a good, comfy, time killer.

I do agree that for productivity though, this thing isn't up to par.

But I can't say I won't be buying one in the future...

Last edited by Synth; April 23, 2010 at 11:40 AM.
Old April 23, 2010, 06:00 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Another problem, I can hardly see myself spend 600$+ for this AND like .. 60$ (?) a month for 3G. I wonder if a certain deal could be done like.. cellphone + iPad on the same contract or something like that..
Old April 23, 2010, 07:18 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth- View Post
Another problem, I can hardly see myself spend 600$+ for this AND like .. 60$ (?) a month for 3G. I wonder if a certain deal could be done like.. cellphone + iPad on the same contract or something like that..
Well you would have to do the same with ANY laptop so mute argument. Plus you can just tether with a smart phone like the iPhone.

There is a stand for it plus you can buy a keyboard made for the iPad.

Currently I am looking at either going for the iPad or either a 15" MacBook pro or a 15" asus gaming laptop. Might just go with the iPad because it is perfect for education unless you do engineering and need certain programs. But for most classes it is perfect and reading all your text books on it without having to lug around 100lbs of books. Plus you save money buying the text books digitally. My brother spends about $800 a year on text books and would save money going with an iPad than buying a new laptop. And you don't really need a laptop if you already have a gaming PC.

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."