Go Back   Hardware Canucks > Mac, iPhone & iPod > Mac

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 14, 2010, 04:51 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Well there are pros and cons for both but less cons for a laptop.

Pros for iPad...
More portable than laptop
Cheaper than the laptops that I would want as I don't want a peice of crap known as netbooks unless I go used.
Can do everything I want it to do on the go especially when apps are made for it
Better battery life than majority of laptops
Better for watching movies especially on the road in the back seats
Better for reading books, magazines and text books
Some apps are better for the iPad than using them on a laptop
More fun to view the Internet as it feels like the Internet was made to be used by touch
Can be used to type out full sized documents and presentations and stuff like that
I am sure there are more

Cons...
No file system :(
Have to use VNC to do some things like to use flash
Have to jailbreak to use some very usefull apps or to customize your device that you bought and own
Closed system and you only get what f-ing Apple approves. What happened to freedom?
Closed system as you have to use iTunes not a major con but still sucks
You have to get accesories to make it a productive machine for typing
Have to get accesories if I want to hook a camera to it or get a single USB port that I am not sure if you cam read off of it
You know that just like the iPhone version 2 of the iPad will be much better and the apps will have matured for it.
Have to email or connect to your computer to print documents although Apple says they are working on wireless printing
Price too expensive for what it currently does wish it was $100-$150 cheaper
I am sure there are many more

Now some pros and cons for a nicer full sized keyboard Laptop

Pros...
More functional
There is a file system
No accesories needed for some basic stuff like a USB port or use the aging CD rom drive
Can do a lot more
Can use flash and play flash games
Can use 100% of the web
You can personalize your machine
More choices on Laptops
Usueally has a webcam
Can use desktop class sofetware that we have used for decades
Can play some better games
Faster at everything
Can use windows or Mac or Linux if you get a Mac or a hackintosable machine
Can hook up a mouse for accurate use
Buttons for games
Can store more on it
Don't need to sync it
I am sure there are a ton more

Cons...
Most likely more expensive
Most likely less battery life
More bulky to carry around
Not as good at reading books, magazines, comic books, text books
Less places you can use it in as it is very hard to use a laptop in bed for example
Nosier and hotter Can be a pro in the winter :p
Not as enjoyable for movies unless you get a high res screen
Some things are more fun to use touch
Heavier and you can't really hold it in one hand and walk around with it
More complex. Sometimes you just want to do something quick
Takes longer to boot
More costly to repair or replace
not as usuable to read books to your kids or share with other people
Can't really be used as a picture frame while charging
probably not much more

I think I got a decent list down. I want both but don't want to pay for both lol

Now if I were to go with a laptop which one :p. Too many to choose. On one hand I could get a mac laptop or on the other hand I could get a windows laptop for the same price as the mac one and do some light gaming on it. Ahhh

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."
Old April 14, 2010, 04:09 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by belgolas View Post
Not as enjoyable for movies unless you get a high res screen
How so? The iPad has a 1024x768 display. A cheap laptop will have at least a 1280x800 or 1366x768 panel, which is a much higher resolution and can also display full-res 720p video.
Old April 14, 2010, 05:17 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
How so? The iPad has a 1024x768 display. A cheap laptop will have at least a 1280x800 or 1366x768 panel, which is a much higher resolution and can also display full-res 720p video.
It is 4:3... not the "best" for movie viewing, but not the worst by all means. That's one of those recurring themes - not the best for movies, not the best for books, not the best for web browsing. Just "good" at all of them I would say.
Old April 14, 2010, 05:34 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

AH I ment high quality screen. Oppss.

This was all done in the morning on my iPhone on the way to work.

I have decided and after discussing it with my techie brothers and friends I will go with the iPad. It will do everything I want for what I would intend to use it for. Also it would be great for school as the books are available for it and much cheaper. It is just as good at typing with a blue tooth keyboard than any other device. So doing word documents is just as good. Plus I would be using this more for consuming and I have my powerful desktop for everything else.

I would be going for the 16GB model because it is cheapest, should hold everything I would want, and why buy the higher end models when it will be improved in version 2 and 3 and so on. Now I think I will wait for either a sale or a refurbished one.

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
Old April 14, 2010, 07:49 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

No offense, but you're going to look like an idiot sitting in class typing on a bluetooth keyboard with your iPad with all the other students sitting around you using their real laptops.
Old April 14, 2010, 07:55 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

lol... wow just get a damn macbook or another notebook if you want to do all that
Old April 14, 2010, 07:59 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Lol well I don't care what people think and no there is worse. My brother brought his iMac every day. And I don't think it is dumb to type on it. Only Jackasses care what other people use. I don't care if someone brings a chisel and a rock to class. As long as it gets the job done.

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
Old April 14, 2010, 09:55 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

No I think he meant that it won't be the best thing to type on.

and lol @ self-concious people (hoping you are not) :P
Old April 15, 2010, 04:05 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Well since you can use a full sized keyboard I don't see a valid aregument. Plus since it is a detached keyboard if they give me one of those crapy desks with the arm rest thing on the right it will be less akward to use it as the iPad with stand can be on the right and the keyboard on my lap. That is the worst case. So in many ways it will be more comfortable to use.

Plus my brother who is in university and his MacBook just broke so he is getting an iPad and so are several other people he knows. Some business people are getting them that we know. One guy is getting it because he sellls insurance and he wants an easy way to show all the details like an interactive brochure. Some Pastors want one as it is very nice to have sitting on the podium with all their notes and some pretty cool bible apps. There are so many people that I know and my brothers know that will get one.

I garrantee this will be a hot item in colleges and universities. I wish I had one when I was is highschool. This is one of the better education devices out there. Lots of students will have one so I see no reason why anyone would think I am an idiot for using one in class. Especially when you have one of those akward desks. My brother (another one) wished he had one when he went to college because he had to us one of those types of desks and everyone thought it was akward using their laptops to type while he just hooked up a Bluetooth keyboard and was just fine.

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
Old April 15, 2010, 04:52 AM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by belgolas View Post
Well since you can use a full sized keyboard I don't see a valid aregument. Plus since it is a detached keyboard if they give me one of those crapy desks with the arm rest thing on the right it will be less akward to use it as the iPad with stand can be on the right and the keyboard on my lap. That is the worst case. So in many ways it will be more comfortable to use.

Plus my brother who is in university and his MacBook just broke so he is getting an iPad and so are several other people he knows. Some business people are getting them that we know. One guy is getting it because he sellls insurance and he wants an easy way to show all the details like an interactive brochure. Some Pastors want one as it is very nice to have sitting on the podium with all their notes and some pretty cool bible apps. There are so many people that I know and my brothers know that will get one.

I garrantee this will be a hot item in colleges and universities. I wish I had one when I was is highschool. This is one of the better education devices out there. Lots of students will have one so I see no reason why anyone would think I am an idiot for using one in class. Especially when you have one of those akward desks. My brother (another one) wished he had one when he went to college because he had to us one of those types of desks and everyone thought it was akward using their laptops to type while he just hooked up a Bluetooth keyboard and was just fine.
Interesting uses for an iPad, pretty clever.