Go Back   Hardware Canucks > Mac, iPhone & iPod > Mac

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 12, 2010, 09:51 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
That's kind of neat, but I like to read books, not play with them. That might be cool for a kid, but for most people the novelty would wear off quickly.
I agree with you, i prefer the versitility of a novel. Call me old fashion but nothing beats curling up with a good book and reading it for hours. No worries of damaging or tiring your eyes from looking at screen or running out of batteries.

To me the only benefit of an e-reader would be to put my textbooks on them so i wouldnt have to lug those massive things around though most of my textbooks dont have e-reader or pdf versions.
Old April 12, 2010, 09:55 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by belgolas View Post
I hope this thread doesn't turn into a flame fest again.
QFT. Me too.

I do look forward to actually playing with one once they hit the stores in Canada. Whether I'd actually find one useful, I honestly don't know. I'm still finding out what the iTouch I bought my wife for Christmas can do. I'm hoping some of these new apps might trickle down, as they are iPad only, right?
Old April 12, 2010, 10:17 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

It's neat for kids and all, but even then it's questionable (kids playing with a 500-900$ delicate gadget)... If your a grown up and are drawn to this then fine by me. You just fit more into the apple stereotype, as in people who like shiny buttons and other pointless nonsense (IMO at least). If you actually want something functional though.... Might wanna look for something else. [courier? ]
Old April 13, 2010, 04:41 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perineum View Post
I can't say it makes it a better book reader. I think the arguments made by others regarding the type of screen has been done to death. Why not just let it go?

You like it. Congratulations, you're a unique individual as most others don't like it. Should you be proud? I don't know. Maybe you're a sheep or maybe we're the sheep. Either way, most of us are beyond caring anymore.

The real point is, the majority of people don't see the iPad for having a real purpose. It's a solution looking for a problem. Nothing, and I really mean NOTHING you say is going to change what we think.

Save your time for something useful.

However, that is a neat app. I can see it's usefulness for certain things.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickpolyz View Post
It's neat for kids and all, but even then it's questionable (kids playing with a 500-900$ delicate gadget)... If your a grown up and are drawn to this then fine by me. You just fit more into the apple stereotype, as in people who like shiny buttons and other pointless nonsense (IMO at least). If you actually want something functional though.... Might wanna look for something else. [courier? ]

ok your sayin how much the Ipad sucks but have you even tried it yet.. the technology put into it is quite amazing... i was very impressed with the graphical quality as well as the incredible speed to go with it.. it has ways of saving documents and synchronizing via networks back to your computers and phones using mobile me... the concept apple has is that there doesn't need to be a problem to solve.. perhaps just a new level of computing to create.. its a different philosophy.. in the PC world there are always problems to fix.. in the mac world there are very few that i have found.. the ones that exist are from user error.. Apple decided to make something cool, interesting, and new... something NO ONE has ever done before.. and they did.. that thing is like a hand held Nintendo WII and a netbook put together... there is alot of potential i can see in this product.. perhaps opening your mind might help you see it
Old April 13, 2010, 07:35 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendallcschm View Post
ok your sayin how much the Ipad sucks but have you even tried it yet.. the technology put into it is quite amazing... i was very impressed with the graphical quality as well as the incredible speed to go with it.. it has ways of saving documents and synchronizing via networks back to your computers and phones using mobile me... the concept apple has is that there doesn't need to be a problem to solve.. perhaps just a new level of computing to create.. its a different philosophy.. in the PC world there are always problems to fix.. in the mac world there are very few that i have found.. the ones that exist are from user error.. Apple decided to make something cool, interesting, and new... something NO ONE has ever done before.. and they did.. that thing is like a hand held Nintendo WII and a netbook put together... there is alot of potential i can see in this product.. perhaps opening your mind might help you see it
Wow, wow wow. I'm not trying to say it sucks, it's a valid entry into the tablet market for Apple, but that's about it. It isn't amazing at all, and tablets similar to the ipad have been around for years.

What Apple is creating isn't new, it's an idea that has been tried many times before and failed every single time. Obviously the ipad won't fail but it won't succeed either. It's just a mundane product the majority won't find a use for and won't buy. It's part of the tablet market. No one needs a tablet, there is no need for one. Its too big to fit into a pocket or act like a phone and not powerful enough to be used as a full on computer. IMO if Apple wanted to sell their ipad even more and to a larger audience they should have waited for more powerful mobile processors (atom, ion) to advance and then leap on the idea.

As for gaming on the ipad - while I liked the idea at first (Need for speed with the acceleromater, etc) However lots of people complained about the gaming. Mostly because the thing weighs too much (It is a tablet after all, not an iphone, and people find it a hefty device) so if you need to be holding your ipad in the air and moving it around (like NFS) then your arms get tired within 5 minutes and you need to take a break. Other than that and the fact that you have to use on screen controls for most other games (yuck) the gaming capabilities are good. For a casual gamer.

Don't get me wrong, as I said it's a fantastic device compared to other tablets. Not a good device in the grand scheme of things though. And people, logical people such as myself, won't give it credit because it's simply a OK tablet but with a much higher price tag. I expect more for apple, especially with their prices. Pushing the envelope with this one? I definitely don't think so. In fact they are doing the opposite. It would have made more sense to invent this 5 years ago and then today pull out the iphone and say "it's pretty much the ipad but a little worse, but it's a phone!"

Last edited by Polygon; April 13, 2010 at 07:41 AM.
Old April 13, 2010, 08:33 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
.. in the PC world there are always problems to fix.. in the mac world there are very few that i have found.. the ones that exist are from user error..
Comments like this is why arguments happen.

I'm sorry, but what a stupid comment.

I don't care what computer you own, they're all the same. If what you said was true then the Apple forums wouldn't be a FRENZY of people having all sorts of problems with their Macs.
Old April 13, 2010, 08:35 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perineum View Post
Comments like this is why arguments happen.

I'm sorry, but what a stupid comment.

I don't care what computer you own, they're all the same. If what you said was true then the Apple forums wouldn't be a FRENZY of people having all sorts of problems with their Macs.
end users (aside from people like us) are idiots for the most part.. alot of support forums are swamped with stupidity... i know one guy who wiped is motherboard down with an alcohol cloth while it was on!! and that is not a PC's fault and i agree my comment was stupid...
Old April 13, 2010, 09:11 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Quote:
end users (aside from people like us) are idiots for the most part.. alot of support forums are swamped with stupidity... i know one guy who wiped is motherboard down with an alcohol cloth while it was on!! and that is not a PC's fault and i agree my comment was stupid...
Yup many issues are ID10T ones. BUT it seems that Apples default response is to deny, deny, deny. They really do seem to default to a blame the end user first and then release a fix only IF they have to. Ofcourse to get this "fix" you usually need to buy the new model! From overheating, to warping frames, the craptacular LCDs. Apple may have less software issues BUT if one PC company pulled as many stunts as they do....they would have been crucified by the PC community. Whereas Apple fans seem to never get enough.

As for the app. It does indeed look interesting. Dont know how usefull is will be outside of kids books. I certainly dont think it is going to be the "THE APP" that makes the iWannGrowUpToBeATablet iPad into a winner.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old April 13, 2010, 09:21 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by belgolas View Post
I hope this thread doesn't turn into a flame fest again. If you don't like the iPad we have all heard your arguments. You don't have to post in every apple thread. I don't post in a Chevy forum why I don't like their products.

I love some of the cool this being done with the iPad.

This is MLB at Bat 2010 app for the iPad. It is so cool but I still don't think that could make me watch baseball.
YouTube - MLB at Bat 2010 for iPad Review

Or a quick small vid on VNC for the iPad. Very cool. You could even watch flash movies and somewhat play flash games. Very cool.
YouTube - Remote Desktop on the Apple iPad

This is a long review of some cool apps.
YouTube - Cool iPad Apps

These are some AWESOME apps.
YouTube - 10 Must Have iPad Apps

And many more. Feel free to post your own apps that you think are cool.
I am just gonna quote myself just because it seems like everyone is missing some other neat stuff.

kendallcschm please don't flame bait as this is one of the main reasons why a lot of Apple threads here get locked. We don't need to post ridiculous false info.

Let's all try and act like adults speaking to other adults.

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."
Old April 13, 2010, 10:00 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

That Alice interactive book looks pretty cool but it would make more sense on some kind of leapfrog thing built for kids. It doesn't prove the iPad to be a better eReader at all. I know I certainly am not going to buy ebooks so I can shake the screen to make characters giggle and I'll be damned if I would hand a $500+ gadget to a 6 year old that encourages them to grab it, shake it, smear their greasy little fingers all over it or god forbid throw it or start banging it on the floor, lol.

Otherwise cool eBook *shrugs*

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE