Go Back   Hardware Canucks > Mac, iPhone & iPod > Mac

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 30, 2010, 09:07 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Default OS X Snow Leopard

It should be easy to install this onto any new rig, right? My sisters like Mac's interface better than Windows and Linux just plain confuses them.
Old March 31, 2010, 03:32 AM
Banned

Depends on the Chipset and GPU. The Hack ONLY works for certain parts. If she wants just the Mac Interface and does not play games then just get a osx 10.6.x interface for Linux.

List your specs for the PC that you want to do this for please.
Old April 9, 2010, 05:23 AM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by bovine.baron View Post
It should be easy to install this onto any new rig, right? My sisters like Mac's interface better than Windows and Linux just plain confuses them.
Definitely not easy. Assuming you manage to install it on the PC, you still need :

- a compatible motherboard (to have basic things like reboot and sleep work, else your Mac will shutdown or reboot erratically)
- a compatible GPU (to support optimal resolutions and acceleration)
- a compatible lan card (OSX is pretty finicky when it comes to wireless)
- patience, and some skill (ie. console skill, as in linux console, to fix configuration files, compiling code, etc)

Keep in mind, this isn't a weekend project.

Here are some useful links:

- hardware compatibility list for Snow Leopard 10.6.2
- Insanely Mac forum (great resource for Hackintoshes)
- Buying your legit version of Snow Leopard
- a very decent boot disk to get your hackintosh adventure started

If you decide to follow through, don't hesitate to contact me for (some) help.

Cheers!

Old April 9, 2010, 06:46 PM
Top Prospect

I have Hacked a couple of P5Q-Pro machines and one P5K-SE machine. I wouldn't call it easy. It will take a fair bit of reading to even understand the terminology being used in those forums. Once you do get the terminology and techniques down then you need to find a good guide for the particular motherboard you choose. The Gigabyte boards seem to be the most widely supported. I have used both ATI and Nvidia cards. A basic 8800GT would be a good bet.

Once you have done it you just need to be careful with updating the OS. Sometimes the Apple updates will break the hack and you will need to do a bit of work to get it back. But once it is running it is very stable.

Have fun.
Rig1: Q9550 @3.8GHz Vendetta 2, P5Q-PRO, 6GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500. 5870 1GB, GT240 Physx, Ultra LSP 750W, 2TB internal + 2TB external, 3X23" 5760X1080 eyefinity + GT240 Physx, HAF22 case 3X200mm : Win7 Pro
Rig2: E8200 @3.6GHz Vendetta HSF, DFI P45 LP-JR, 4GB 900MHz, 4870 512MB, X203W 20", Ultra Gladiator Case
Rig3: Q6600@ 3.5GHz H50, P5Q-PRO, 8GB, 8800GTS512, OCZ GameXStream 850W, Samsung 245BW 24" + 19" dual: Snow Leopard + Parallels Win7
Rig4: MAC mini Snow Leopard
Laptop: Macbook Pro 15"
Old April 9, 2010, 07:49 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bovine.baron View Post
It's quite a bitch to do and requires a bit of work as stated above. Though it's doable.

The frenchie's recommendation?

Get a mac.

Simpler and you won't regret it.