Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Mac (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/mac/)
-   -   Does anybody really read this section...? (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/mac/28693-does-anybody-really-read-section.html)

Synth February 8, 2010 06:25 AM

Does anybody really read this section...?

Well, if anybody makes it to this section, here are my confessions :

1. I just purchased an Iphone 3GS this past weekend, and so far, it's brilliant. I am truly amazed by the OS, the apps and the reception quality (with Bell as a carrier).

I must admit though that this is my first smart phone, so maybe if I had previous experiences with such devices I wouldn't be as flabbergasted!

I decided to pick it up since my mobile contract was expiring and hated using my LG Chocolat. Having a corporate account, I also have a killer monthly plan with bonus features!

2. I purchased Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) directly from Apple.

I learned that my PC's hardware is perfectly compatible with the OS, if I install with Empire EFI (I actually stumbled by mistake on a log of a guy who has it running great over at Anandtech).

I can't wait to get it and set it up. The system will be dual-boot (Vista & OS X).

These are interesting times indeed !

gingerbee February 8, 2010 06:36 AM

oh no we lost another 1 to the dark-side ha ha . glad your happy with it

SKYMTL February 8, 2010 06:54 AM

My main rig runs dual boot with Win 7 and OS X + Empire EFI. Works quite well actually and I avoided spending the premium for Apple-branded "it just works" hardware.

MarkOne February 8, 2010 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SKYMTL (Post 330467)
. Works quite well actually and I avoided spending the premium for Apple-branded "it just works" hardware.

this kind of clandestinity is not to remind me when we was buying clone part of Apple II :ph34r:

I just install the wireless connection of an Ipod the other day for the kid of my friend , dam I want some I product too they are very cool.

@less young : those grey market pieces was sold at the first and small Dumoulin store, I think it was on St-Denis. Ya pirated part was the first PC Dumoulin was selling . funny no

Cheator February 8, 2010 07:19 AM

Good thing about the iPhone. Its not too bad, though I like my Pre for multitasking.

As for OSX, its a decent OS. I don't think its fantastic, or magical, but it does the job and I really don't worry much about malware or viruses, not that they're a problem for me on Windows anyway. Welcome.

Synth February 8, 2010 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SKYMTL (Post 330467)
My main rig runs dual boot with Win 7 and OS X + Empire EFI. Works quite well actually and I avoided spending the premium for Apple-branded "it just works" hardware.

Tell me about it: buying a quad-core with 4gb of ram costs a pretty penny in the Land of Apple...

I'll settle for installing OS X on my PC, put an Apple sticker on my sexy black Azza case and call it a day :haha:

zoob February 8, 2010 12:12 PM

I'm a recent half-Mac convert. Rebuilt my main rig into a Hackintosh runnin SL10.6.2 and it's almost vanilla -- only things driving me up the wall are : Can't change mouse sensitivity if you disable acceleration, lack of keyboard controls for Window management (equivalent of Windows ALT+SPACE, M, arrow keys, mouse), and no Win7 Aero snap.

Making everything work is a lot of fun and there is a goldmine of information at InsanelyMac.

Synth February 8, 2010 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zoob (Post 330636)
I'm a recent half-Mac convert. Rebuilt my main rig into a Hackintosh runnin SL10.6.2 and it's almost vanilla -- only things driving me up the wall are : Can't change mouse sensitivity if you disable acceleration, lack of keyboard controls for Window management (equivalent of Windows ALT+SPACE, M, arrow keys, mouse), and no Win7 Aero snap.

Making everything work is a lot of fun and there is a goldmine of information at InsanelyMac.

I don't follow - are you running Windows inside of Mac OSX using Bootcamp?

Perineum February 8, 2010 02:46 PM

Nice. Empire EFI certainly seems the way to go. I love tinkering... makes me want to see what hardware I have that is hackintosh compatible....

Digikid February 8, 2010 02:59 PM

No we do not read this section and therefore this thread does not exist.

LOL!!!!