Go Back   Hardware Canucks > Mac, iPhone & iPod > Mac

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 7, 2010, 07:34 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

read the head line he he sorry very childish of me but still they have a very good point. Apple's iPad - The AnandTech Review - AnandTech :: Your Source for Hardware Analysis and News
Old April 7, 2010, 08:17 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I'm gonna read into this HTML 5 stuff. Interesting to know how the coding works. I know it can run Quake, but the question is if we can convert applications, movies, and games CREATED with the flash platform (which the majority are) and convert them to HTML5 in an easy, efficient and realistic way that doesn't cripple developers.
Old April 7, 2010, 09:06 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by belgolas View Post
Well you CAN listen to music and surf the web. You can listen to music or podcast or audio books while in almost all apps except for some that only allow you to listen to the apps music. You CAN also download a movie and watch a movie at the same time. On the iPhone you can be talking to someone while downloading apps while surfing the internet. It already does limited multi tasking. It has also been largely rumored to include multi tasking in OS 4.0. If you jail break it there will also be multi tasking.

You have a good point about USB but if you sink it to a computer you will be able to move what ever you need. Also this doesn't need a camera on the back. It should and will have a camera on the front. The second version of the iPad will be much better.

Almost every review I have read said it is fun to read on the iPad screen. I read on my iPhone and on my large very bright monitor every day and have no problems. I would rather have one device that does almost everything than having to carry around 20 devices. Also my iPhone has a camera so why would I need to hold a 10" camera up and look like an idiot.

I wish it included flash but it doesn't and so far a lot of companies are switching over to HTML 5. HTML 5 can do just as much as flash and use less resources. You can play Quake it HTML 5 so it can do games too. But I wish flash was there as it allows options.

I also wanted to comment on pages for the iPad. It will import word documents so it IS useful for schools. Also buying text books will SAVE you money buying an iPad instead of buying all the text books and other books. My brothers and MANY of their friends and their friends friends are going to buy an iPad just to save money on books. THAT alone is worth getting one. Plus all the extra apps you can use with it. Plus you only need to bring this lightweight small device and nothing else to class and it holds all your books, notes, and the like. Since it is a touch screen you can also hand draw things into it. Something you can only do with paper but who uses paper :p. So this is an incredible product for schools. It really can do more than a netbook.

I hope you actually watch these videos before bashing.
Apple - iPad - Guided Tours

Apple is so close to having something totally awesome. So 1 or 2 revisions from now will be much better.

I will also say no one needs an iPad but I want one so I will buy one. I will most likely wait for a refurbished one or a price drop though.
Everything you say the iPad can do can also be done on a laptop, along with many other things that the iPad can't do.
Old April 8, 2010, 12:58 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelt View Post
They built the OS then they select or in some cases commision companies to design hardware that works with the OS thus minimizing varibles that could cause the OS to crash or not perform at top spec. The approach is the same with all software the engineers know what type of hardware they are building the software to work with so they can optimize the code. Just like in the PC world with countless software patches for hardware, with each generation of software they are taking better advantage of the gear.
This isn't really what's happening. Nobody writes to hit the hardware anymore. The most optimized is going to be assembler language and no one wants to do that for portability reasons.

They write the OS, pick what they figure is suitable hardware (whatever it may be) and then write the necessary APIs or drivers for that hardware. Realistically, having such limited hardware just means it should be easier to track down a bug due to less possible hardware variables. Sure, this is an advantage, but it's also a disadvantage. Try installing a 58xx series ATI card into a Mac and setup Eyefinity, for example.

There almost seems to be an idea that Mac don't have drivers. They certainly do, and when Mac only has one video card driver to update you would at least hope it works to within 75% of what the PC can do with the same hardware.

Quote:
Apples perform well in the music and movie bussiness because the software designed for those tasks has been optimized to work with the most common hardware setups in Apple computers. That is not to say that PC's can't hold their own in that world but that Apple has done it better for so long that Apple has kind of become the standard.
It's about the software. If the software is being taught to young 'uns coming out of school, that's what they are going to use. Somehow, this software became the norm, the standard. It's not because of Mac's limitations that it's "better". No amount of optimization is going to shore up the difference between any socket 775 vs a socket 1366 offering. Run that software on the PC or at least an equivalent powered Mac and you'd have a winner.

Quote:
For every advantage with either platform Apple or PC there are just as many disadvantages. PC are easier to upgrade and more cost effective, and with the implementation of Intel processors in the Apple...<clip>
This brings me a point. It wasn't very long ago that Mac users were trying to tell me that my PC was shit because it was running an Intel processor. They would RAGE at length about how bad they were and that their PPC processors were so much better. Where are these same guys now?

They are still pointlessly arguing. And losing. And still arguing. Just about different things.

Apparently Intel is teh kewl now.
Old April 8, 2010, 04:39 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
Everything you say the iPad can do can also be done on a laptop, along with many other things that the iPad can't do.
Give me examples. The iPad can do basic video editing and photo editing. If you use your iPhone and then transfer over the videos and photos. It can create music and even has virtual pianos and guitars and drums and stuff like that. You can create you own drawings. You can view most of the Internet, you can download and watch t.v. shows and movies. You can watch netfilx movies. You have the best comic book reading device ever made. You can easily make documents, spreadsheets, and presentations. You can multitask with jailbreaking. You can play games and a whole lot of them better than the DS or PSP.My brother can even make posters and stuff he gets paid to do on the iPad. You can listen to Internet radio. You can do remote desktop and control you PC from across the world. You have good GPS and navigation software.

I can go on and on. If the software is made for it it will do it. There are few things it can't do.

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."
Old April 8, 2010, 04:45 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Give me examples. The iPad can do basic video editing and photo editing. If you use your iPhone and then transfer over the videos and photos. It can create music and even has virtual pianos and guitars and drums and stuff like that. You can create you own drawings. You can view most of the Internet, you can download and watch t.v. shows and movies. You can watch netfilx movies. You have the best comic book reading device ever made. You can easily make documents, spreadsheets, and presentations. You can multitask with jailbreaking. You can play games and a whole lot of them better than the DS or PSP.My brother can even make posters and stuff he gets paid to do on the iPad. You can listen to Internet radio. You can do remote desktop and control you PC from across the world. You have good GPS and navigation software.

I can go on and on. If the software is made for it it will do it. There are few things it can't do.
Up until you said "multitask with jailbreaking" I swear you were talking about a netbook.
Old April 8, 2010, 09:01 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Looks like there may be multitasking coming soon to an iPad near you:
iPhone/iPad update may enable multitasking - The Globe and Mail
Fold for team #54196
Old April 8, 2010, 09:08 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Chris, I'm very tempted to edit your post. Unlike the last few posters, you forgot to make a dig at the other viewpoint.

/sarcasm off
Old April 8, 2010, 09:55 AM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Give me examples.
Okay.

A laptop can do basic video editing and photo editing. If you use your laptop and then transfer over the videos and photos. It can create music and even has virtual pianos and guitars and drums and stuff like that. You can create you own drawings. You can view all of the Internet, you can download and watch t.v. shows and movies. You can watch netfilx movies. You have the best comic book reading device ever made. You can easily make documents, spreadsheets, and presentations. You can multitask . You can play games and a whole lot of them better than the DS or PSP. Anyone can even make posters and stuff they gets paid to do on a laptop. You can listen to Internet radio. You can do remote desktop and control you PC from across the world. You have good GPS and navigation software.

Give me one significant example of some kind of functionality the iPad has and a laptop does not have (other than a touch screen, although you can technically get a compact laptop that has one as well).
Old April 8, 2010, 01:01 PM
Allstar
F@H

The upcoming HP Slate looks like a better all around device for people wanting/needing a device like these.
Closed Thread