Go Back   Hardware Canucks > Mac, iPhone & iPod > Mac

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 3, 2010, 08:56 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I am most likely getting a mac mini and iPad. The mac mini would be my media PC.

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."
Old April 3, 2010, 09:23 PM
Allstar
F@H

I could see myself using a Mac Mini as a media PC and just stream the puppy from a larger storage array; but the iPad is something I just can't find any use for (Personally that is), I want the power of a notebook or nothing at all. Which begs the question for Steve Jobs....Where the **** is the Macbook refreshes with Core i5 & Core i7 *ahem*
A Veteran, whether Regular Force, Reserve or Retired- is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank cheque made payable to the Dominion of Canada for an amount of "Up to and including my life"
-Author Unknown
Old April 4, 2010, 03:10 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

GOD DAMN, dude, as I explained many times before (and sorry for anything coming up in here, im ****ing drunk), any mac is not built around hardware needs, but around an os.

Here's the lil french apple flowchart easy to understand:

Build an OS -> take hardware that would let you use 100% of the OS' awesomeness -> build computer -> put in a nice case with an apple on

Easy as that.

Anything outside of that is out of the apple mindset and makes no sense for teh company... even if you hardware guys thinks that its stupid because you can't wrap your minds around the fact that it's not the latest hardware on the market.

If you want to know how the -hell- having an i7 in a mac mini or macbook is useless is as simple as TRYING ONE FOR MORE THAN 5 MINS WITH SOMEBODY WHO KNOWS IT. After that your mind will be blown away, you wil have bought one without even knowing it and will get in the WHAT THE **** IS WRONG WITH THE COMPUTER MARKET AND PEOPLE BUYING ****ING ACERS around you.

yay
Old April 4, 2010, 05:39 AM
Banned

LOL! He may be drunk be he is correct. Mac is an OS...not a platform.
Old April 4, 2010, 08:42 AM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

So are you two suggesting that media industry professionals who use their computers for photo and video editing wouldn't benefit from having the latest hardware in their Macs? Because that's a pretty naive thing to say. No matter how good an OS is, it's not going to turn the performance of a Core 2 into that of an i7.
Old April 4, 2010, 09:25 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

The thread just veered of a little bit with a little Mac and PC bashing,lol. No one is wrong on either side of the argument. When you think of a PC there is a loose set of standards that are used by many third party manufactures to put in PC's. With that kind of construction there is alot of variables that have to be anticipated by Microsoft in the construction of their OS, same with LINUX.

Apple take another approach. They built the OS then they select or in some cases commision companies to design hardware that works with the OS thus minimizing varibles that could cause the OS to crash or not perform at top spec. The approach is the same with all software the engineers know what type of hardware they are building the software to work with so they can optimize the code. Just like in the PC world with countless software patches for hardware, with each generation of software they are taking better advantage of the gear.

Apples perform well in the music and movie bussiness because the software designed for those tasks has been optimized to work with the most common hardware setups in Apple computers. That is not to say that PC's can't hold their own in that world but that Apple has done it better for so long that Apple has kind of become the standard.

For every advantage with either platform Apple or PC there are just as many disadvantages. PC are easier to upgrade and more cost effective, and with the implementation of Intel processors in the Apple world they can be dual booted with Apple OS and you can take advantage of Apple software although the software may not be optimized for your hardware. The one big advantage Apple has over PC is that they are percieved by the population in general as more accesible to newer or less experienced computer users. There are more advantages and disadvantages on both sides of the argument. The bottom line is buy what you want it's your money, just don't bitch when your shiny new Apple can't play the latest games, or whine your PC software can't edit video as smoothly as your friends Apple.

http://lh4.ggpht.com/nightwarp/R7YQuMGt-JI/AAAAAAAADoQ/KVuthG6qJfE/s400/Supportourtroops-2.jpg

Old April 4, 2010, 01:56 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
So are you two suggesting that media industry professionals who use their computers for photo and video editing wouldn't benefit from having the latest hardware in their Macs? Because that's a pretty naive thing to say. No matter how good an OS is, it's not going to turn the performance of a Core 2 into that of an i7.
I'm not saying that, and there's a reason that the Mac Pro exists. They way faster computer than the mini to give you maximum output possible -while being a simple workstation model that you can buy like a car-, and it's for a reason that there's xserve server that have i7, to make render farm if you want more power than a couple of mac pros.

Though again if you want a mac workstation with a crap load of cpu power, iirc you can order a model with dual nehalem, 3-4 gfx card, a raid card + 4 or 6 drives, etc (but I might be mistaken it's been a while since I've checked).
You will pay a -lot- for that thing, but again it's not a personal computer but a -workstation- and most of the people using that are in companies and not normal people going on the internet for emails, news, forums, etc.

Sure they don't update the hardware every month or so, but that's part of apple business model. It worked up to now and will continue working like that for years to come. When it will be time to update the components and roll out new model they will gladly and you will be able to have one of the fastest components on the market... until there's newer component 6-8 months later and you will have to wait for 4 months to buy a mac pro with again the latest hardware.
Old April 4, 2010, 02:02 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelt View Post
The thread just veered of a little bit with a little Mac and PC bashing,lol. No one is wrong on either side of the argument. When you think of a PC there is a loose set of standards that are used by many third party manufactures to put in PC's. With that kind of construction there is alot of variables that have to be anticipated by Microsoft in the construction of their OS, same with LINUX.

Apple take another approach. They built the OS then they select or in some cases commision companies to design hardware that works with the OS thus minimizing varibles that could cause the OS to crash or not perform at top spec. The approach is the same with all software the engineers know what type of hardware they are building the software to work with so they can optimize the code. Just like in the PC world with countless software patches for hardware, with each generation of software they are taking better advantage of the gear.

Apples perform well in the music and movie bussiness because the software designed for those tasks has been optimized to work with the most common hardware setups in Apple computers. That is not to say that PC's can't hold their own in that world but that Apple has done it better for so long that Apple has kind of become the standard.

For every advantage with either platform Apple or PC there are just as many disadvantages. PC are easier to upgrade and more cost effective, and with the implementation of Intel processors in the Apple world they can be dual booted with Apple OS and you can take advantage of Apple software although the software may not be optimized for your hardware. The one big advantage Apple has over PC is that they are percieved by the population in general as more accesible to newer or less experienced computer users. There are more advantages and disadvantages on both sides of the argument. The bottom line is buy what you want it's your money, just don't bitch when your shiny new Apple can't play the latest games, or whine your PC software can't edit video as smoothly as your friends Apple.
Yup, well said :)
Old April 4, 2010, 02:09 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1dget View Post
I'm not saying that, and there's a reason that the Mac Pro exists. They way faster computer than the mini to give you maximum output possible -while being a simple workstation model that you can buy like a car-, and it's for a reason that there's xserve server that have i7, to make render farm if you want more power than a couple of mac pros.

Though again if you want a mac workstation with a crap load of cpu power, iirc you can order a model with dual nehalem, 3-4 gfx card, a raid card + 4 or 6 drives, etc (but I might be mistaken it's been a while since I've checked).
You will pay a -lot- for that thing, but again it's not a personal computer but a -workstation- and most of the people using that are in companies and not normal people going on the internet for emails, news, forums, etc.

Sure they don't update the hardware every month or so, but that's part of apple business model. It worked up to now and will continue working like that for years to come. When it will be time to update the components and roll out new model they will gladly and you will be able to have one of the fastest components on the market... until there's newer component 6-8 months later and you will have to wait for 4 months to buy a mac pro with again the latest hardware.
And what about the Macbook and Macbook Pro? I personally know a lot of people who own Macs and do photo and video work on the go, and they could definitely benefit from the extra power an i5 or i7 CPU would provide compared to the Core 2 CPUs they currently have.
Old April 4, 2010, 02:39 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
And what about the Macbook and Macbook Pro? I personally know a lot of people who own Macs and do photo and video work on the go, and they could definitely benefit from the extra power an i5 or i7 CPU would provide compared to the Core 2 CPUs they currently have.
I think you should reread my easy to understand chart, then read my next post after that one. I'm not repeating myself over something I explained well.