Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > LinusTechTips Q&A

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 20, 2012, 02:57 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sf101 View Post
we no longer sell Seagate drives on principle. it seems after the maxtor acquirement things just went down hill for them quality wise go figure.
Maxtors were always absolute garbage.
Old July 20, 2012, 04:09 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Maxtors back in the day were AWESOME. Didnt sound like mac truck seagates (which were still the best...if LOUD and "grumbly"). Faster than WD's. Built like tanks and lasted longer than IBM's. It wasnt until they started falling down in the RnD dept that they started to slip on the build quality side of things.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old July 20, 2012, 10:42 PM
Top Prospect

I use Hitachi Deskstar 2TB 7200rpm (sata 3 version) in my storage server. The only issue I had with them was they do NOT like sata 2 sas expanders.
Old July 21, 2012, 11:13 AM
Allstar

I still have 7 Maxtor drives in use here. The oldest is a 213MB from 1991. No problems with any of them. Of companies still operating, Seagate have been the most reliable drives of any brand over the years. Sadly, WD have been the worst. Other's experiences of course vary.

(I wish CDC was still around making drives).
Old July 21, 2012, 11:22 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

It really seems to be from what era you tried which manufacturer.... all have had bad runs.

Lately I've been RMA'ing a lot of Seagates at around the 4 year mark, mind you all these drives had 5 year warranties.
Old July 31, 2012, 11:20 AM

I've gone with Seagate for my storage server simply because when I was buying drives WD Reds did not exist, so the "word on the street" was not to use WD due to RAID issues with them dropping out.

Also Seagate's drives are 7200RPM 1TB platter drives (fast) compared to the lower performance Reds.

For faster (and official) NCIX service please contact our customer care team at www.NCIX.com (Canada) or www.NCIXUS.com (USA)

Heatware: http://heatware.com/eval.php?id=25647
Old August 16, 2012, 03:48 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linus View Post
I've gone with Seagate for my storage server simply because when I was buying drives WD Reds did not exist, so the "word on the street" was not to use WD due to RAID issues with them dropping out.

Also Seagate's drives are 7200RPM 1TB platter drives (fast) compared to the lower performance Reds.

So if I wanna set 2 drivers RAID 1 then Seagate Barracuda or WD Caviar Black?
Old August 17, 2012, 05:44 PM
Top Prospect

They are all getting bought up by each other recently, aren't they?

Kinda scary if you ask me.

Western Digital Grows Revenue On Acquisition Of Hitachi's Hard-Drive Business WDC STX - Investors.com

What I do now is just look at what is available via shopbot or pricematch or whatever site has HDDs and then read whatever reviews I can find and assess whether they're reasonable opinions or not.

Newegg has some customers who might be unreasonably angry or maybe they're justified. But, if there is one particular brand or model that keeps coming up in bad reviews then I'm more inclined to stay away.

I generally buy Samsung drives unless they're way more expensive than similar drives of other brands. I don't really care for WD so even though I used to like Hitachi drives, I'll probably look at Samsung and Seagate drives first.
Old August 17, 2012, 05:51 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Extremely bad call. This is like saying since Western Digital acquired Hitatchi their quality has gone down too.

Having that Seagate bought Maxtor made no difference in quality and ANY good sales person and or tech would know that EVERY manufacturer EVEN WD has had an issue.. can we say WD Green drives having problems as well?

No one manufacturer is perfect and as I stated earlier currently Seagate has the quickest 2 and 3 TB drive and I find it funny that WD is coming out with a "Red" drive for NAS/RAID and again Seagate has had this type of drive for YEARS... ES
WD have had a ton of issues with their drives over the years and Seagate has had the one bad stretch of faulty drives and it hurt their rep badly. But, WD Blacks seemed to run on very high power and heat and their Greens have had major issues and there have been ton of complaints (justified or not). I thought their support was pretty poor for that since it was their drives that had the particular design issue and not really customers making their own errors or poor use of the drives.

However, yes, all brands have had problems with various drives at times. I think Hitachi drives used to be among the best but there doesn't seem to be very many varieties. Maybe that is a good thing. If Seagate can improve their QC, they should still be a good choice. It depends on that, though, imho, because they have so many lines or varieties. HDDs for NAS, for performance, Green etc. etc.
Old August 18, 2012, 09:32 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I use 12 seagate 2 tb 7200 rpm drives on my home server. Its been about 6 months and not one issue.