Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > LinusTechTips Q&A

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 14, 2012, 11:37 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyea View Post
I think its the other way around.

I have an older EADS and 3 Newer EARS drives.
Yeah, that's what happens when you are typing stuff at 2 am lol.
Server - i5 3450, Asus P8Z77-I Deluxe, 4GB DDR3, LSI MegaRAID 9240-8I, OCZ Vertex 4 120GB, 2x SG Barracuda 3TB(RAID1), 2x WD green 2TB(RAID1), Fractal Design Array R2, WHS 2011
Old June 14, 2012, 12:05 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

before you choose your drives for that array. make sure you read this and do your research.

Here's a snippet "In some cases, there is a conflict as to whether error handling should be undertaken by the hard drive or by the RAID controller, which leads to drives being marked as unusable and significant performance degradation, when this could otherwise have been avoided."

Error recovery control - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

the wd green drives use tler and for a while they provided a utility modify it. that tool is no longer available

i know seagate and samsung drives also have similar functions but, i am not sure of their effect on arrays.

Last edited by wirerogue; June 14, 2012 at 12:16 PM.
Old June 14, 2012, 01:13 PM
Allstar

I'm using Seagate ES.2 drives in one of mine and Seagate SV in the other. Cool, relatively quiet and have been quite reliable.
Old July 12, 2012, 04:00 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

If you wait a little while, WD are releasing a new range called the Reds which are aimed exactly for NAS and home server installations...
Old July 12, 2012, 05:14 PM
Top Prospect

They're already at NCIX and a few other stores. Storage review loved the drives, should be a good alternative to the greens for intended use. They can be PM'd down to around $175 for the 3TB models.
Old July 17, 2012, 07:10 PM
MVP

RE4's

segates reguardless of ES2s fail. have had over 10 fail in the last year in servers for towns we do contracts for talking es2s here and constilations not just .11 or .12s ect ect..

not the case for Hitachi enterprise drivers nor any of the WD drives we have dispatched.. go figure.

we no longer sell Seagate drives on principle. it seems after the maxtor acquirement things just went down hill for them quality wise go figure.
Old July 17, 2012, 07:21 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by sf101 View Post
we no longer sell Seagate drives on principle. it seems after the maxtor acquirement things just went down hill for them quality wise go figure.
Extremely bad call. This is like saying since Western Digital acquired Hitatchi their quality has gone down too.

Having that Seagate bought Maxtor made no difference in quality and ANY good sales person and or tech would know that EVERY manufacturer EVEN WD has had an issue.. can we say WD Green drives having problems as well?

No one manufacturer is perfect and as I stated earlier currently Seagate has the quickest 2 and 3 TB drive and I find it funny that WD is coming out with a "Red" drive for NAS/RAID and again Seagate has had this type of drive for YEARS... ES
Old July 18, 2012, 06:16 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sf101 View Post
RE4's

segates reguardless of ES2s fail. have had over 10 fail in the last year in servers for towns we do contracts for talking es2s here and constilations not just .11 or .12s ect ect..

not the case for Hitachi enterprise drivers nor any of the WD drives we have dispatched.. go figure.

The only good thing about Seagate is that their RMA process is fast and efficient. And trust me it has to be!!!!!
Old July 18, 2012, 07:28 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by grinder View Post
The only good thing about Seagate is that their RMA process is fast and efficient. And trust me it has to be!!!!!
WD's RMA is pretty top notch too. Had to to RMA a drive recently and it went very smoothly and I quickly had my new drive.

I gave up on my Seagates drive. I let 'em die and I send 'em for recycling. Let's hope they get to be WD drives in their next life.
Old July 20, 2012, 01:36 PM
MVP

behardware.com has access to return rates from a reseller. I believe these are their most recent results,
http://www.behardware.com/articles/862-6/components-returns-rates-6.html
Doesn't tell you whats appropriate for a server but maybe gives you an idea what to stay away from.
Seagate makes some good drives and they have made some bad ones, same as all manufactures. Unrelated but interesting is the return rates for SSD's on the next page. Also the return rates on power supplies on page 3 with Corsair scoring pooring on a couple of models.