Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   LinusTechTips Q&A (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/linustechtips-q/)
-   -   GTX 670 + ssd OR A GTX 680?! :/ (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/linustechtips-q/54169-gtx-670-ssd-gtx-680-a.html)

xvl89 May 11, 2012 04:47 PM

GTX 670 + ssd OR A GTX 680?! :/
 
The main game i will be playing is guildwars 2, i will be playing every hour i spend on the pc, and just want to be able to do everything and anything, including the server vs server pvp which i expect to be very laggy, and i do not want to lag anywhere i go, with the graphics cranked up, either to max or very close.

So its pretty much:

PALIT JetStream GeForce GTX 670 OC 2048MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card - Aria Technology

AND

OCZ Agility 3 120GB 2.5" SATA-III Solid State Hard Drive - Aria PC



OR

MSI GeForce GTX 680 OC Twin Frozr III OC 2048MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card - Aria Technology





Thanks in advance =) :punk:

Keywork May 11, 2012 05:50 PM

Option A without hesitation.

Alpine May 11, 2012 06:10 PM

+1 for the Option A

YukonTrooper May 11, 2012 09:37 PM

That's a non-question. First option.

supaflyx3 May 11, 2012 09:39 PM

First option no doubt about it.

AkG May 11, 2012 09:44 PM

First option....BUT change out that Agility 3 for a Crucial M4 128GB. It will cost you ten quid more (on that site you linked)....BUT is a MUCH better SSD and will be the best additional ten pounds you will ever spend. ;)

xvl89 May 12, 2012 04:07 AM

Sweet ;) Thanks guys, awesome quick answers once again from this forum :D !

W4ff1e May 12, 2012 10:34 PM

I hate to be the thorn here, but I always spend more on one component that I wont need to unpgrade for longer than if i spend some of the budget on something not 100% crucial, granted the 670 is better price/performance, but ssds will half in price in 6 months again so I wouldnt rush into it.
Id buy the 680. (unless you cant find one, i suppose get the 670 (didnt think about that))

Galcobar May 13, 2012 02:08 AM

The 670 will drop more (in terms of absolute dollars) in six months than will a 120 GB SSD. If he's willing to wait six months to see savings, waiting six months to buy a graphics card would yield larger savings.

However, that's six months of not having the upgrade. An SSD makes a ridiculous difference in the responsiveness of your computer. You won't notice it in games, but you will notice it in pretty much everything else (I run a C2D with an SSD, and now find HDD-equipped Gulftown computers to be irritatingly slow to use). On the other hand, you won't notice the difference between a 670 and a 680 in games either, unless you're pushing high resolutions and settings.

I'd go with Akg's suggestion, 670 + m4, and save the 30.

AkG May 13, 2012 07:42 AM

For a first SSD user the 120GB size is about perfect. Not to big to be uber expensive, not too small to be a PITA to use. In 6mths when the next gen really hits price per performance of the 120s will indeed go down....but if you always wait for prices to go down...you will be stuck using an abacus instead of a computer. Prices of enthusiast parts always do trend downwards, but its usually because they are about to replaced with the NEXT gen. :)

The M4 line is fast, stable and I honestly doubt we will see much more price reduction. Its already been reduced a good bit. In all likelihood we MAY see a sell off right before a "m5" or C500 hits...but even then I would not hold my breathe. It could easily go the other way and they simply ramp down production and when its EOL'ed the supply chain is almost empty of them....and that could be more - or less - than 6mths away. Now I could be way, way off and Crucial slashes prices again as they ramp up production of NAND (the major part of the price of any SSD). But honestly even if that does happen....does it matter? Right now for the OP the M4 128GB is 90 quid. By some chance of economics lets say it hits 50 quid. Forty "dollars" over 6mths. Thats 1.66 per week. For less than a cup of coffee there is no way I would go back to HDDs for my main OS drive (Vraptor 1TB or a 3Tb beast...sure, but not for 2 bobs a day!). Buy it and the 670 now. In 6mths the 670 will be cheaper and IF the OP needs more power than what a 670(!!!) can provide...drop a second one in and SLI them :)


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:28 PM.