Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > LinusTechTips Q&A

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 4, 2012, 02:36 PM
MVP

My System Specs

90-128Gb for OS(mainly so you do not have to watch what you put on it, i.e antivirus, drivers, auxilary programs etc, that and the 90-128 tend to be faster then thier 60gb counterparts) and if you want, a second 120-240gb for all you extra like multiple games, movies, music etc, so you can keep all the crap off the OS drive so it retains it speed for a longer period of time. Always good to have a mechanical drive though, nothing fancy, just for the stuff you do not use often, backups etc. Good idea to have 1 paging file per drive installed on you system, this does not matter near as much with SSD as it does with HDD, but it can definately keep everything constantly fast.

Small SSD for caching can be a good idea sometimes, however, the larger drives tend to also be less costly per gb the 120-240 seem to be the sweet spot for price/performance, the 32gb(example) tend to be quite expensive for the speed you are gaining in return. Better to just have a small SSD for OS use only(I have 60gb for OS, with careful use I have been able to keep 20gb+ usable so 1 maybe 2 games tops can fit on there, but am using my WD CB 640 for my game drive, and I am tickled pink with the speed all around, partitioning/paging files, and carefull part managment makes a WORLD of difference in the snappiness of the system)
Old May 7, 2012, 01:43 AM
Rookie

Thanks Dragon tongue (and everyone else)

I think im gonna go for a 120Gb for Os and oll none gaming data (Like you suggested) and another for games + steam (play total war games, mount & blade etc)

for the gaming storage would 120gb be enought?

2 examples:

shogun 2 for e.g. needs atleast 20gb of free disk space. high spec game so data usage may expand
mount and blade WB 1Gb (only small)

a few other games will be added but shogun2 probably the biggest upto now.
Old May 14, 2012, 08:03 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Just for argument's sake, there is no speed difference in loading level in my games from my SATA III SSD (on SATA III controller) to my HDD (SAMSUNG Spinpoint F4 HD322GJ/U) on SATA II controller. Admittedly, my HDD is one of the fastest out there (top read speeds is over 160 MB/s in HD Tune) so if you get a 60GB SSD you can pair it with a very fast HDD (think Velociraptor) for your games and you are set.
Attached Images

Last edited by MARSTG; November 24, 2012 at 10:13 AM.
Old July 12, 2012, 04:02 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

The size required depends on how many games you want to keep installed at the same time. If you play just one game at a time 120 is fine. If not I'd say go bigger. I have an Intel X25M 160gb and find I have to juggle a little bit with games installed as I try to keep it close to 40% or more empty
Old November 12, 2012, 08:24 PM
Rookie

I wouldn't go with anything under 256 GB at current prices.
Old November 18, 2012, 06:15 PM
Rookie

For application purposes/just as a boot drive, I really like 120 GB. It's my sweet spot - I was worried 120 GB wouldn't be big enough, but turns out that applications don't take up much space. 80GB used with CS5/office/statistical analysis/production/communications/etc. All my games I run off of a 2.5 external usb 3.0 500gb - it's pretty sweet and you can take it along with you.

256GB is overkill for me but I'm sure many users here need the size.
Old November 20, 2012, 12:44 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

I'm running on a 60GB boot SSD with all my programs sitting on it, while everything else such as games, media and temporary files are on an HDD. I would grab 120GB if they had better $/GB when I bough my 60GB on sale. Would let me keep some of my favourite games on the SSD so that they load quicker. :D
Old November 22, 2012, 06:17 PM
MVP

My System Specs

I use a 60GB ssd as OS drive and a 120GB one for games and a 500GB seagate hybrid for storage/secondary OS.
On the OS drive, I have also open office and such installed and still have about 20 GB free.
Originally I had planned to use the 60GB for OS, which worked but I only had about 5GB left with 2 games installed. So I bought a 120GB only for games.
Old November 24, 2012, 10:10 AM
Top Prospect

Red face

My advice, go with a larger drive. The price difference is negligible, and going with something a bit bigger at the onset means less bother in the long run. It's the same idea as buying 1GB DIMMS vs 2GB or 4GB. It might be cheaper in the short run, but when you have to pull them all out when you next want to upgrade because your mainboard is full, it's extra bother and it will be hard to sell your 1GBs which will probably only be good for keychains.

Say you catch a 60gb ssd for $50 on sale somewhere. A 120 will probably also be on sale for under $100, and I've seen 240gb ssd's on sale for $149 to $159. Next year the prices will shift down a step further, and 60gb probably won't even be available because the cost of manufacturing would make 60Gb SSD and below not worth it.

Still with me? Good. Let's do the math.

$50 for 60gb, $99 for 120gb, $159 for 240gb.
In relative costs this translates to
1, 1.98X (twice the capacity), 3.18X (four times the capacity)

Of course, in calculating this I'm assuming no taxes, or shipping. I'm in BC, so if you figure $10 shipping and 12% tax on top of everything, the value proposition in going with a bigger drive is even better.

$67.20, $122.88, $189.28
In relative costs this translates to
1, 1.82X (twice the capacity), 2.81X (four times the capacity)

If budget constraints are forcing you to go with a 60gb ssd, then it's not really a question open for discussion in the first place, but since you're asking I'm thinking you have some wriggle room. Buy a bigger drive if you can afford it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shogunsilly View Post
Hello all,

Looking to boot my os (win 7 ult. 64bit) from an ssd

Would an intel 520 series ssd '60GB' been large enough?

everything else (games etc) will come off a dedicated hdd or an additional Ssd

cheers guys