Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > LinusTechTips Q&A

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 10, 2012, 08:42 AM
Rookie

Default Tips/help for PC cooling

So I would like some advise after having seen Linu's video of him altering the airflow in his Wife's PC.

My situation is this:
My case is the CM Storm Enforcer and I have installed two CM SickleFlow 120 on the top of the case as exhaust. This means that the only intake I have is a 200 mm intake in the front of the case, while having three exhaust in the back/top. What I really wanted to know is if it would be optimal to change those three fans into intake instead, and then change the 200mm to exhaust, or even remove it completely.

The reason why I haven't done this is due to those fans not being filtered, so I suspect it will push a lot of dust into my case no?

I also have two side-questions. Sine the two fans I've installed myself is 2k rpm, should I buy some rubber frames to put between them and the case, because frankly, they do make a lot of sound?

The other side question is also whether or not to buy a watercooler for my CPU. Currently my I7-2600 goes at around 75-80 degrees Celsius when gaming SW:TOR while having activated the built-in MSI OC Genie II feature. Is this enough to consider a watercooler for my CPU?

I know that was a lot of questions, but it would be much appreciated if people could give me a bit of advise :) I am no noob with PC's however this is my first serious gaming PC so I am not that much into-the more pro-gaming PC hardware and accessories.

EDIT:
I should also note that I have two GTX 560 in my case which do create a fair amount of heat when gaming.
Old April 10, 2012, 09:15 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Get a liquid cooler for your CPU. I would go for the Corsair H80. www.corsair.com Doing that,gives you many more options for cooling the rest of your case,and moving air over your video cards. I suggest leaving your 200mm intake fan where it is,have the H80 installed to bring cool air IN from outside the case,and install fans in all open areas to exhaust excess heat from the case. That's the H80 and the 200mm drawing air IN, and all other fans blowing air OUT. You will be pleasantly surprized at how much cooler everything will be.
Corsair Air 540 -i7 4930k @ 4.4ghz. Liquid cooled-4x4gb G Skill Trident X DDR3@ 2400mhz- Two EVGA Titans SLI - Xonar Phoebus Sound Card-Dell 3008 30" Monitor-Razer Tiamat Headphones-Butt Kicker Gamer-TrackIR 5
Old April 10, 2012, 09:27 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

first thing I would do is figure out what is creating most of the heat, which if gaming most likely is your video card that might not be pushing the heat out of the case. I am thinking this because before I started watercooling the heat from my CPU very rarely would get as high as your s and the only reason it would is because it was 32 C ambient temperature and also my video card at that time didn't have the shroud that pushes the heat out the back of the case.
Water cooling would cool it a fair amount you just have to remember to make sure the radiator find are clear of dust . as for my PC before I got into water cooling I put a fan right next to my Video card which cooled it 5 degrees when I was gaming. after a while when I upgrade to a card that pushed the air out the back of my PC I left the fan blowing air onto the card which cooled even more, the Average cpu temperate when idle was 30C which was allot better then the 38 I used to get idle
Old April 10, 2012, 09:27 AM
Rookie

Thank you.
I will have a look at it. The H80 was also the one I had been considering :)
Old April 10, 2012, 10:20 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Going to always have pretty high case ambient temps, unless you put a 120mm fan or two on your side panel blowing across your SLI 560's(used to have SLI 460, pulled the plastic shroud off of the top card to make a bigger gap in between, and added 2 120mm's on the side panel, dropped load temps 20C+)
Old April 10, 2012, 10:22 AM
Rookie

Yeah, the problem being that the CM Storm Enforcer doesn't have slots for that in its sidepanel :(
Old April 10, 2012, 10:36 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by denDAY04 View Post
Yeah, the problem being that the CM Storm Enforcer doesn't have slots for that in its sidepanel :(
make em :D I did it to an 800D lol took it to speedy autoglass, swapped the original side panel window with lexan(WAY stronger, no worry about tightening the screws and cracking) used a 120mm fan as a template and marked two fan holes exactly where I wanted them, they did a wicked job, sold the case to a member on here and he was super impressed/happy with it, as was I. Here she is in all her 40 pounds of glory lol
ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting
Old April 10, 2012, 10:38 AM
Rookie

I don't know how much I'm up for that, not to mention that I don't know any such shop near me :/
Old April 10, 2012, 11:09 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by denDAY04 View Post
Don't worry. That 200mm fan you have in the front intake should blow enough air over the video cards to keep them cooler. If need be,you can get a 200mm fan with a higher air flow. Cool air blowing over the video,and the video cards drawing in that cool air,and then exhausting out the rear,ought to keep it all nice nice. Cool air in and hot air out.
Corsair Air 540 -i7 4930k @ 4.4ghz. Liquid cooled-4x4gb G Skill Trident X DDR3@ 2400mhz- Two EVGA Titans SLI - Xonar Phoebus Sound Card-Dell 3008 30" Monitor-Razer Tiamat Headphones-Butt Kicker Gamer-TrackIR 5