Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > LinusTechTips Q&A

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 3, 2012, 09:53 PM
Rookie

Post PC for MATLAB, Gaming & Web designing

Planing to buy new PC current one is 2nd generation core i5 processor based computer. When programming in matlab for 3d image processing the execution is taking with very few samples 7 hours to 15 hours time. So i am thinking of upgrading the system. MATLAB can scale up to any number of processor and have support of nvidia tesla and quadro series gpu.
But i use my PC a lot for gaming a lot. it is not physically possible to accomdate multiple pc in my room. Tesla is out of question because i heard it is extremely costly. So what configuration suits best for both the tasks?
Old April 4, 2012, 04:09 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

MATLAB is one software that can take advantage of multicore/multiprocessor systems. So yes if you need it for simulations the hardware will have to go as powerful as possible. It didn't say anywhere that has optimizations for CUDA, so you can leave aside the TESLA hardware for the moment, and just get a regular desktop card. If it has GPU computing capability however (I might have missed the hardware specs)you could get a modern card for gaming and an older one for additional use to speed up the computing. I am thinking of a 9800GX2 as a second card, they are pretty cheap now. Sure you could go with a GTX460 also as secondary card. Depending on your budget you could start looking at 2P systems or SB-E LGA 2011.
Old April 4, 2012, 06:59 AM
Rookie

Default Matlab do support CUDA

Here is how to use GPU for parallel computing in MATLAB
MathWorks India - MATLAB GPU Computing with NVIDIA CUDA-Enabled GPUs
I plan to buy in may.
budget maximum 5k usd
Old April 4, 2012, 07:00 AM
Rookie

Default Location

Currently in India will be moving to uk next month
Old April 4, 2012, 12:50 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Ok, but you need compute capability 1.3 or higher. If I am not mistaking 9 series has 1.1 and GT240 I think is 1.2, so you will probably need at least GTX260 or higher. I will check that when I get home as I have a GTX 275 that is doing gpu folding. I can confirm that my GTX275 has compute capability 1.3 so it would be possible to accelerate some certain functions in Matlab. My GT430 has Compute Capability 2.1. You can get this information with the GPU Caps Viewer utility. Hope it helps you in taking decisions.

Last edited by MARSTG; April 5, 2012 at 05:24 PM. Reason: fact verification

Tags
gaming , matlab , web designing