Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   LinusTechTips Q&A (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/linustechtips-q/)
-   -   General thoughts about my PC and overclocking it (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/linustechtips-q/52738-general-thoughts-about-my-pc-overclocking.html)

SebastianJSL March 26, 2012 07:13 AM

General thoughts about my PC and overclocking it

Hi, i'm new here! Just thought i'd post this topic just out of a general curiosity. Would like some opinions and suggestions for my build. (Sorry if in a wrong area)

Hard drive(s): Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 3.5" 8.9ms SATA
Powersupply: Corsair TX750W TX-sarjan 750W ATX
Videocard: Asus EAH6950/2DI2S/2GD5 Radeon HD6950 2G
Optical Drive(s): Samsung SH-S222A/RSMS
Processor: AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition
Case: Antec Three Hundred ATX
RAM: Kingston HyperX blu 4GB (2x2GB) 1600MHz
Motherboard: Asus M4A79XTD EVO AMD 790X Socket AM3 ATX
Processor cooler: Noctua NH-U12P SE2

Would like to know about general thoughts. For example about cooling... I know the case is small and lacks a lot from possible cable management. Also the hard drive mounts are not sideways which makes it even more chaotic. I mean, all the cables are in front and some are tucked to the back of the case that has a small compartment for the unused cables.

Would you recommend a new case for example? (Probably a dumb question)

And what about the motherboard? Can a motherboard be a reason for bottleneck situation? As I've heard some have said that my motherboard is kinda lacking when looking at the other parts.. I also seem to be getting weird results from 3Dmark for example and it feels like my PC should do much better than it actually is. 3D mark says theres something wrong with my system, as people with the same sort of build have better results etc. It kinda bugs me x)

I would also like to have some help about overclocking the CPU. I have searched and searched about overclocking, but the BIOS settings on my BIOS are different from other people. Either i lack some settings, one being: CPU frequency (EDIT: With this I mean the FSB frequency that usually is ~200-210), my BIOS does not have that. I know overclocking isn't just simply "Do as I do" but I have tried overclocking with different settings and I always get weird results, last time I did it, I got a BSOD before even getting to desktop :'D I must suck.. And how much would you approximately overclock the CPU with the Noctua cooler?

Curently temporatures on CPU at ~32C and goes around 46C when playing games.

Sorry aboyt the questions, I know they are kinda odd. But at least I would love to hear about overclocking it. I have looked Linus's overclocking guide for the AMD Phenom x6 1050T, but would absolutely LOVE for someone to just know the correct settings, although it's impossible xD

SebastianJSL March 26, 2012 10:03 AM

These are the settings i've tried so far:

20.0x multiplier
CPU voltage: 1,4250-1,4750

With those only 1,4375 and 1,4500 booted up, only to get a BSOD after opening Prime95

After that I found the CPU frequency, and tried voltages 1,4625 and 1,4750 after changing the CPU frequency to 210. bootted but completely froze on windows boot-up

I did read a post about the Black Edition not needing any other changes than the multiplier and voltage. How should I approach this? Would i keep upping the voltage until it's steady and boots correctly? I mean the default voltage is 1,3000 and I have already gone up to 1,4750.

I do have on refrence here that says to up it to 1,4875 but I not sure if that's ok..?

dandelioneater March 26, 2012 10:18 AM

Overclocking Phenom and Phenom II - EXTREME Overclocking Forums

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/258573-29-black-edition-overclock-guide-raising-multiplier

[Official]Gappos little Deneb/Thuban overclocking guide with too many smileys

Maybe give these threads a read. I haven't played around with the 1090t at all to know much about it.
If you lack alot of the settings that other people have, that may be because you have an older bios version on your motherboard. It 'may' be necessary to update the bios, but be careful with that and only do it with stock settings if you decide you need to update. (Check asus's website for more info on that.)

SebastianJSL March 26, 2012 10:29 AM

@dandelioneater

Thanks for the links. I'll look into those. And about the BIOS settings, it has been resolved. All the settings are there, they were just hidden until i changed one setting to manual :)

But as I said, Black Edition, might not need changes to things like CPU frequency.

dandelioneater March 26, 2012 10:37 AM

Great. no need to udate the bios then. And yes, with those unlocked multiplier's you don't usually need to touch cpu frequency. It might be worthwhile to try a lower multiplier if you aren't able to boot into windows at 20x. You'll get a feel for the board and the voltages needed as you slowly dial in the speed.

Adzsask March 26, 2012 11:09 AM

I would just swap the stock noctua fans on your cooler for some higher speed ones, also keep an eye on that PSU, they are known to have bad 12v ripple and make things unstable,or even make things fail.

SebastianJSL March 26, 2012 11:27 AM

Yeah, I needed to put the multiplier down to x19.0 As i couldn't boot at x20.0
Currently running Prime95 for the past 15mins or so. CPU at 59C which is kinda high. Probs it's safer to not overclock this :/ With just air and bad airflow.

And thanks @Adzsask for the tip. Should probs change those. But then again. I'm planning on buying a new case so probs will buy H100 watercooling too :D

Now tough, I'm gonna shut this machine down, as as I write this, It just wen to 60C (AMD Phenom preference being that 62C at max)