Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > LinusTechTips Q&A

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 16, 2012, 01:14 PM
Trial Member

My System Specs

Question Mouse weight system or not?

As the title pretty much reveals my question, is an adjustable weight system in a gaming mouse recommended or not for fps gamers?

I figured that when you buy a new mouse you will most likely get used to itīs weight eventually and prevent yourself from lifting it up accidentally because of your experience with the mouse, but on the other hand i can imagen that making a mouse heavier can make it easier to keep it on the table and to aim steadier when sniping.

As i am doubting between the SteelSeries Ikari Laser and the Logitech G500 i wanted to ask you which you think is best of choice and why.

Also i would like to question one last thing wich is the following. The Ikari goes up to 3200 dpi max and the G500 goes up to 5700 dpi max, what is preferred for fps gaming?

Greets, JeroxBleHellsing.
Old March 16, 2012, 02:20 PM
Lyserberg

For me,and remember that's only my personal opinion,i don't like adjustable wieght system in mouses in general,for me the mouse shouldn't be adapted as the gamer wants it,but the gamer is the one who should adapt and get along with his mouse,it's just an expensive feature,that i wouldn't waste money on,and for the mouse i suggest you see a review to see what suits your needs the most!
Persnonally DPI is something i want more in FPS,and once again that's just my own personal experience,you might as well wait for other members to reply
Old March 16, 2012, 02:30 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

i use the weights in my old G5 and would not go without. It gives a different feel that I like, makes it so i can use the mouse more accurately because it's not so light that it flies around everywhere.

I find the similar effect with my camera, I'm able to hold my heavier camera steady, compared to my phone camera I'm shaky.

Either way, you don't have to use weights, so having the option is obviously an advantage since you can try and see what you like
Old March 16, 2012, 02:52 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I prefer a heavier mouse, so I used the weight system in my G5 and G500. At higher DPI, I felt like the mouse wasn't as jittery.
Old March 16, 2012, 03:17 PM
"Quote This..."
F@H

I'm the opposite. I've never used any of the weights that came with the 2 mice I've had with adjustable weighting. I like it as light as possible. Which is also why I prefer wired mice.
Old March 16, 2012, 07:25 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I use all the heaviest weights that came with my g9x. It is nice to have because you can find a weight that is just right for you.

Tags
adjustment , logitech , steelseries , weight