Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > LinusTechTips Q&A

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 28, 2012, 01:04 PM
Rookie

Default How to set up SSD?

I am looking to upgrade my hard drive as I just bought an i5-2500k along with a new mobo. I dont have a ton of money to spend but Id like to get an SSD. Im looking at a Corsair Force Series GT 90gb SSD. Thats obviously not enough room for everything I have as I am using about 400gb of my current 500gb drive. What should I do to get the best performance for the least amount of money?
Thanks
Old February 28, 2012, 04:01 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Why don't you get that 90GB SSD for your boot drive and keep your existing hard drive for storage? Or save even more money and get a 64gb?
Old February 28, 2012, 04:03 PM
Rookie

The only thing is its a SATA 2 hdd that I have now. Would that limit performance of all the applications that were on that drive?
Old February 28, 2012, 04:26 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Your hard drive is not going to saturate a SATA 2 bus...hell it will have a tough time saturating SATA 1! SATA 6gb/s for hdds is marketing gimmick only right now (IMHO "bust speed" is a BS benchmark for hdds). ONLY SSD's needs SATA 6gb/s. Most of my rigs OS drive run at about 40-50GB of space requirement. Stick anything you NEED to be fast (aka time sensitive data, apps, etc) on the SSD and stick everything else on the HDD.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old February 28, 2012, 04:29 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BF3FTW1995 View Post
The only thing is its a SATA 2 hdd that I have now. Would that limit performance of all the applications that were on that drive?
All mobos that allow ovc the 2500k have sata III ports (P67 or Z68) but even an old sata II SSD would get a system much snappier than any HDD. HDD will not get any upgrade performance if the port is sata II or sata III, only the SSD would. If I were you I would go with a Sata III SSD, I am thinking Crucial M4 64 GB as the best cheaper option, just add it as boot drive and install the programs on it.

Tags
hdd , ssd , upgrade