Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > LinusTechTips Q&A

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 28, 2012, 12:16 AM
Rookie

Default home movie server

i want to built a home bluray movie server that will be connected to my wd tv live, and i need some recomendations for every part i will need. i want it to be a hot-swap hdd and all hard drives to be sata connected and a RAID 5 configuration. i know that motherboards with multible sata connectors are expensive so this is the challenge.. i need my whole system to be between $1500 and $1800 (if liquid cooled)! i will appreciate any recomendations for all parts.. this includes case, m/b, processor, ram, raid card, power supply voltage that can handle up to 8 hard drives. i do not really care about the looks of the case tower so dont let extreme cases confuse you. i just need it to be as functional as possible.. thank you for helping me..
Old February 28, 2012, 02:34 AM
Top Prospect

i hope that is 1500-1800 without hard drives..

even buying the low end seagate LP drives @ $99, 8 of them will blow half your budget..

-joe
Old February 28, 2012, 04:38 AM
Hall Of Fame

other is $500 for MB with 6 sata ports or $500 sata II on PCI-E card supporting 8 drives
Old February 28, 2012, 06:00 AM
Top Prospect

if all you need to serve files, you should consider something like the Acer windows home server or netgear nas boxes

-joe
Old February 28, 2012, 06:53 AM
Allstar

You can do it for ~1800 no tax or shipping or water cooling. I just quickly threw together a list of parts that I did 0 research into (to embarrassed to post this crap list, I have standards) but the exercise was price points and if you could do it.
  • If you have to have hot swap you will be paying 200-250 for the case(maybe save some coin and get a cheaper case)
  • Get a cheaper motherboard ~120 will get you a full ATX board with on-board video. Get a full ATX for PCI Express slots, if you move to a larger case down the road you can throw extra RAID controllers and duel NIC cards at it easily.
  • For this to work you have to stay under 200 for the RAID controller. Promise Fasttrak TX8660 is sub $200
  • Even with a software controller any current cpu will be fast enough to run a 8 drive setup.
  • This doesn't cost anything but I would suggest running two 4 drive arrays in RAID 5. There is no technical reason really to do this, but if an array is dying its nice to be able to dump data from one array to the other.
  • Past that by the time you add hard drives, ram, power supply of your choice you will be up to 1800-1900 pretty easily

honestly I would suggest waiting if you can, HDD prices are stupid still, and if your throwing say 8 drives at something that adds up. Don't water cool your server, you have a home server to be stable and for your budget you will be running a 45 watt cpu, its a pointless exercise.

Last edited by BlueByte; February 28, 2012 at 07:12 AM.
Old February 28, 2012, 07:37 AM
Top Prospect

1x Netgear ReadyNAS NV+ 4 Disk NAS Enclosure SATA Hot-Swap GBLAN X-RAID RAID 0/1/5 256MB Diskless - Netgear - RND4000-100NAS

4x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM SATA3 64MB Cache 3.5IN Internal Hard Drive - Seagate - ST2000DM001 <-- this pass weekend these went on sale for $120.. you can probably get them to match it still

$950 + tax

I would pick up one more 2tb as a spare.. in case you need to swap you have one laying around vs. waiting on the next day to get another drive and/or rma the drive

maybe use the left over money to buy a good UPS too!

-joe
Old February 28, 2012, 08:50 AM
Rookie

thanks everyone for your reply.. just to clarify, the price range is without the hdd.. for the actual os setup i was thinking of a 32or 64gb ssd.
its essential for me to make this setup with hot swap and i think liquid cooled will be best
because of the substantial noise reduction and lower temperatures as of excessive use!
i just need a setup that can liable and trust-worthy to run 24/7.
Old February 28, 2012, 10:28 AM
Top Prospect

how big are your blu rays rips.. 32/64gb ssd * 8 will only get you like 256 / 512gb of storage..

most of my rips are like 20-40gb each..

-joe
Old February 28, 2012, 11:03 AM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by snksnk View Post
thanks everyone for your reply.. just to clarify, the price range is without the hdd.. for the actual os setup i was thinking of a 32or 64gb ssd.
its essential for me to make this setup with hot swap and i think liquid cooled will be best
because of the substantial noise reduction and lower temperatures as of excessive use!
i just need a setup that can liable and trust-worthy to run 24/7.
How about something like the Synology DS1812+??? I have used Synology products in a corporate environment and personally like them. If all your doing is needing a spot to dump video this will do what you need at a greatly reduced price then your current budget before HDDs.

If you want to build something and need to reduce noise on the CPU, but be careful of air flow over the HDDs if your going for low noise levels. Hot swap bays are tightly packed and you can run hot if you don't have good airflow. Any server case you get will have fans that you can dry your hair with, so you will have to look at replacing them as well with something else. It can be done but you just have to think about keeping your drives cool.

I wouldn't suggest running a SSD for the OS in your home server, I honestly cant think of anything a home server would benefit from it. If your running some large SQL server or something that could benefit from a SSD you would burn out a consumer SSD in 6 months.

If you went with 8 2TB drives mirror 2 of them for the OS, and use the extra space as a backup of important info from your large arrays. With the other 6, you could leave them as one array, but I would be cautious about that and maybe split into 2 arrays to keep it easier to manage when the crap hits the fan.

DO not think RAID is backup, its not. You want to be able to dump/backup to something else, at least all your important stuff. My blurays I don't worry about too much because if I had to I could just rip them all again.... it would suck but I still have the disks.
Old February 28, 2012, 11:49 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtktam View Post
how big are your blu rays rips.. 32/64gb ssd * 8 will only get you like 256 / 512gb of storage..

most of my rips are like 20-40gb each..

-joe
my rips are 8-12 gb.. i was refering to the os installation drive, not the actual movie storage capacity

Tags
built , home , movie , raid , server