Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > LinusTechTips Q&A

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 28, 2012, 12:08 PM
Rookie

thanks bluebyte... i found some other ready-made home servers like synology, eg. hp mediasmart, the acer or the qnap but i prefer building my own so i can customize it more in the future..
so far i ended up liking the gigabyte m/b's which look promising, intel xeon proc.., and maybe kingston water cooled ram but still depends on the other components due to budget limitation.. as for the hard drives i personaly use wd because they work for me. i use them for years and never had a problem. any ideas for the raid card or a cooling system? btw will a 900w power supply be enough or do i need more?
Old February 28, 2012, 06:52 PM
Allstar

Don't get the Greens if your going to put them in RAID, they are known to drop out of the array. I would say a 600 watt for the server and HDDs easily, unless your throwing a video card or two xeons. Your water cooling kit and any other odds and ends will bump it up from there.

As for the RAID card it depends what your going to do with it. If your just serving files over a single NIC I would say go for something cheaper because you wont tell the difference.

LSI MegaRAID 9240-8I

It works with vmware, and prob any other hypervisor so you can play with VMs if you wanted to. If you choose to go with a different card keep it to the adaptec, lsi, highpoint. The first two are the go to ones most of the time, highpoint tends to be a bit cheaper and despite the bad rep are not as bad as people make them out to be.

Depending on the server board you get it might have 8+ sata ports, in all honesty unless people hate the controller it will do what you need it for.
Old February 29, 2012, 05:39 AM
Top Prospect

I have went down the same route of building my own machines / servers and ever since i went with QNAP boxes, i haven't had to do much maintenance and/or mucking with the nas boxes.. they work... if the light turns red, you pop the drive, pop in a new one and it will rebuild.. no mess..

i am in the process of upgrading my qnap 659 pro+ (6 bay) to 859 pro+ (8 bay) and all it involves is to move drives 1-6 to position 1-6 on the new nas.. pop in two more drives and click 'expand'

-joe
Old March 21, 2012, 05:57 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

i have done this before. I would strongly recommend enterprise grade sata drives. you pay a bit extra but they are designed to be run in raid arrays.

also depending on how much space you need. you might want to check out nexenta. it's a pretty sweet nas OS if your needs are below 12-13TB. It's solaris based so it uses ZFS as it's file system so you don't really need a hardware raid card since ZFS uses drive pooling.

As for cases there are basically 3 brands i would consider in presented in order from most polished to the least.

Supermicro
Chenbro
Norco

The advantage with supermicro (and some chenbro) is they use SAS/SATA backplanes so if you decide to get a hardware SATA/SAS card then your only using 1 cable to connect all your drives.

eg: Supermicro 846 series case while expensive has a 24 drive capacity connected by 1 SAS cable instead of 24 sata cables.

Old March 21, 2012, 09:38 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyserberg View Post
Why would you need a home movie server,you can stream the latest movies throught ZUNE,1080p 5.1 dolby digital,or buy a bluray disc,otherwise movies don't require a server ;)
I wish Linus would participate in this disscusion he has good experience in home servers
This statement is wrong on so many levels, and just makes me angry!

HTPC: Z77A-G45; 3770K; Coolermaster GeminII; 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz; MSI R7-260X; 2x 128GB Crucial M4 SSD; 1TB WD Green, 2x 2TB WD Green; PC P&C 750W PS; Fractal Design Node 605;
Son's Rig: M5A97; 1055T; CNPS20LQ; 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz; ASUS GTX650Ti Boost; 80GB Intel 520 SSD; 320GB WD Black HDD; SPI 700W; Bitfenix Shinobi;

Last edited by great_big_abyss; March 21, 2012 at 09:57 AM.
Old March 21, 2012, 10:07 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

^^

I use a DLINK NAS streaming to my ps3 via dlna. Works fine for me as i maybe watch something 1-2 times a week. However, the op wants something quite a bit more robust with more storage, etc, etc. While I can get away with my litle nas, some need/desire something more powerful. thats all.
Old March 21, 2012, 10:10 AM
Lyserberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandelioneater View Post
^^

I use a DLINK NAS streaming to my ps3 via dlna. Works fine for me as i maybe watch something 1-2 times a week. However, the op wants something quite a bit more robust with more storage, etc, etc. While I can get away with my litle nas, some need/desire something more powerful. thats all.
Oh so that's what he means by that,i understood finally everything great golden abyss no worries
I have my PC running Windows 7 Ultimate 32bits (because i have a RAM limitation i didn't want any hassle with 64bits) i have it hooked up to my old Modem/router Via fast ethernet (100mbps) and i stream content on my XBOX 360 using ZUNE,so yeah it can stream 1080p 30FPS content throught wireless G+B without any difficulty,althought for 1080p 60FPS you might need Wireless N or just a straight Ethernet Cable to the media streaming device

Quote:
Originally Posted by great_big_abyss View Post
This statement is wrong on so many levels, and just makes me angry!
Sorry for that i misundertood the topic,i finally agree with the whole gang ;) no worries
Old March 21, 2012, 10:28 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyserberg View Post
Oh so that's what he means by that,i understood finally everything great golden abyss no worries
I have my PC running Windows 7 Ultimate 32bits (because i have a RAM limitation i didn't want any hassle with 64bits) i have it hooked up to my old Modem/router Via fast ethernet (100mbps) and i stream content on my XBOX 360 using ZUNE,so yeah it can stream 1080p 30FPS content throught wireless G+B without any difficulty,althought for 1080p 60FPS you might need Wireless N or just a straight Ethernet Cable to the media streaming device

Sorry for that i misundertood the topic,i finally agree with the whole gang ;) no worries
it must some transcoding of the 1080p / dts stream

there is no way you can stream 1080p with dts over B/G without dropping

-joe

Tags
built , home , movie , raid , server