Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > LinusTechTips Q&A

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 27, 2012, 02:19 PM
Rookie

Default Question for Linus

You probly don't get questions like this alot but,,,
So I am 16, and I am already sure I am going into the computer industry,, so I went to my guidance counselor, of course he didn't know specific fields or positions, etc. So I decided to go to someone that is actually in the computer industry,,, you,,,(hopefully :p) and some other people,, I love working hands-on with computers and I am very familiar with them (and I finally got my parents to say yes to get me one to build :) comming in april :D) so,,, I was wondering what would be some degrees to get and/or what would good possible job positions to go for to work hands on with the latest products, or build custom pc's, etc., like some that you do in the "crazy russian labs", or like what they do at like ibuypower.com,, I know it might be a slim chance to get a job like that when I get out of schooling, but hey, its something to shoot for right?

thanks, BWSKILLZ
Old February 27, 2012, 02:25 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwskillz View Post
You probly don't get questions like this alot but,,,
So I am 16, and I am already sure I am going into the computer industry,, so I went to my guidance counselor, of course he didn't know specific fields or positions, etc. So I decided to go to someone that is actually in the computer industry,,, you,,,(hopefully :p) and some other people,, I love working hands-on with computers and I am very familiar with them (and I finally got my parents to say yes to get me one to build :) comming in april :D) so,,, I was wondering what would be some degrees to get and/or what would good possible job positions to go for to work hands on with the latest products, or build custom pc's, etc., like some that you do in the "crazy russian labs", or like what they do at like ibuypower.com,, I know it might be a slim chance to get a job like that when I get out of schooling, but hey, its something to shoot for right?

thanks, BWSKILLZ
I've been doing this for well over 15 years and have no schooling whatsoever and it was all self taught through various means.

I would say find shops who would just accept you but your going to need some experience regardless. Certificates and schooling means jack squat these days unless you can back it up. I can run circles around people with A+ Certification which is a fairly industry wide sought after certificate.

From there its just a matter of going where you might be interested.
Old February 27, 2012, 03:35 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Since alot of places like a certificate or some sort of credential, you could always try and challenge the A+ exam. I had a look through an A+ textbook a couple years ago and its mostly about hardware and the windows OS and some basic networking IIRC. The hardware is easy as hell, maybe some of the older windows OS stuff you'd need to look at, but I think A+ certification is probably fairly easy for a computer/tech hobbyist to challenge. (Sitting through the course would be a waste of time if you already know a fair bit)

Theres also Cisco certification for networking. (CCENT, CCNA, CCPRO-something or other,) These would give you certification to manage/setup cisco networks

Possible jobs: comp shop, helpdesk @ a college, IT place, network person, pc repair, start your own business?
Old February 27, 2012, 03:41 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandelioneater View Post
Since alot of places like a certificate or some sort of credential, you could always try and challenge the A+ exam. I had a look through an A+ textbook a couple years ago and its mostly about hardware and the windows OS and some basic networking IIRC. The hardware is easy as hell, maybe some of the older windows OS stuff you'd need to look at, but I think A+ certification is probably fairly easy for a computer/tech hobbyist to challenge. (Sitting through the course would be a waste of time if you already know a fair bit)

Theres also Cisco certification for networking. (CCENT, CCNA, CCPRO-something or other,) These would give you certification to manage/setup cisco networks

Possible jobs: comp shop, helpdesk @ a college, IT place, network person, pc repair, start your own business?
Honestly tho.. Look at the A+ course outline and its so outdated unless they have done some recent revisions.
Old February 27, 2012, 05:21 PM
Rookie

Soo,, if I were get to be A+ certified (as a plus to look at on a resume),, I could literally work right out of high school if I wanted to?,, (even though a degree could help in the future)
Old February 27, 2012, 05:30 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwskillz View Post
Soo,, if I were get to be A+ certified (as a plus to look at on a resume),, I could literally work right out of high school if I wanted to?,, (even though a degree could help in the future)
No because like I said they still want you to have EXPERIENCE and no offense at 16 or 17 your going to lack the experience people look for and I'm not talking just work ethics I'm talking maturity levels and such.
Old February 27, 2012, 05:40 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
No because like I said they still want you to have EXPERIENCE and no offense at 16 or 17 your going to lack the experience people look for and I'm not talking just work ethics I'm talking maturity levels and such.
Ohhh alright,, I see what you mean. (and I was talking about when I get outta high school but it still applies)
I have also thought about starting a business around here cause where I live, I know of few just computer repair stores,,, or I have heard of people that a friend told me about, that literally lives off of money from making custom computers over the web,, I know it might take some money to get started but it still is an option,, and anyways I still have a couple years to figure where I wanna go and what I want to do.
Thanks for the feedback, too, BWSKILLZ

Last edited by bwskillz; February 27, 2012 at 05:48 PM.
Old February 27, 2012, 06:06 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Depending on the distances involved, you could always try applying at one of your local computer repair places. Word your resume in the right way and a decent interview you might lucky.
The oath to serve your country did not include a contract for normal luxury, and comforts enjoyed within our society. On the contrary it implies hardships, loyalty and devotion to duty, regardless of rank
Old February 27, 2012, 10:59 PM

I am also self-taught. Best way to learn computer junk is to just do it. Family/friends can usually keep you busy if you're reasonably competent and get things back in a reasonable amount of time.

For faster (and official) NCIX service please contact our customer care team at www.NCIX.com (Canada) or www.NCIXUS.com (USA)

Heatware: http://heatware.com/eval.php?id=25647
Old February 28, 2012, 12:11 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

yup family/friends are always happy to get free repair from ya lol. I too was self taught and many years ago i looked into taking some Georgian collage courses only to find out the new more then they did about whats happening in the real day to day working of the pc world.

Best thing i would say is any way you can is jump in head first and see if ya can swim if ya get it ya get and a lot of folks no matter how hard i try to explain it they just don't get it.

now if i could just teach my self decent grammar lmao