Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   LinusTechTips Q&A (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/linustechtips-q/)
-   -   Questions About Water Cooling (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/linustechtips-q/51276-questions-about-water-cooling.html)

George Poncho February 4, 2012 08:36 PM

Questions About Water Cooling

Hi,

I purchased the Cooler Master Cosmos 2 case from NCIX and I want to Water cool my CPU (Will buy a water cooler video card later). I have purchased the following so far from NCIX:

1. Swiftech APOGEE HD Limited Edition Water Block - 24K Gold Plated
2. PrimoFlex Pro LRT White Tubing -7/16in. ID X 5/8in. OD

I am looking at getting the following Radiator:
Black Ice GT Stealth 360
I am looking at the lower profile so that I can do a push/pull combination where as a thicker Radiator I can only do a pull.

Questions:

1. Can a 360 Rad fit at the top (underside) of the case?
2. What fitting Size should I be looking at, 1/2 or 3/8 for the Black Ice GT Stealth 360?
3. Not sure if I should go with a Combo Pump/Reservoir or should I go with Individual pump and Res? If Combo what do you recommend considering the Case I have and if individual pump and Res again what would you recommend.

Thanks for the input. :canadianwave:

Birk February 4, 2012 09:08 PM

don't show for that kinda stuff at NCIX if you can help it.

Dazmode - Canadian Watercooling Store, Reviews and Community

pellelu February 5, 2012 07:37 AM

Actually, I'm using a separate reservoir with a D5 but I recently purchase one of the new reservoir by Koolance RP-452X2 Rev 2.0 Dual 5.25 Reservoir f/ 1 or 2 D5 Pumps RP-452X2 Rev 2.0 Dual 5.25 Reservoir f/ 1 or 2 D5 Pumps [RP-452X2] - $139.99 : DazMode, The Best Canadian PC Watercooling and Modding Store!. You can save a LOT of space with a good pump/reservoir combo. I will be able to run a second loop AND gain space in my case.
For your fittings, you can use these : COMPRESSION FITTINGS 7/16 - 5/8 : DazMode, The Best Canadian PC Watercooling and Modding Store!

Masteroderus February 5, 2012 09:48 AM

The cosmos 2 has plenty of room for a rad. Good choice btw, very nice case :thumb:

Here is a question though: why would you rather have a slim rad with 6 fans than a fat rad with 3 fans? A fat rad is basically a quiet rad.

I would much rather have a fat rad with 3 good push fans (high static pressure) than a rad with lower heat transfer surface area and 6 fans for a couple of practical reasons.

1: Good fans cost money! If you want a fan that has performance and silence, it costs ~ 20 bucks (120mm). So 6 fans vs 3 fans will cost you ~ 60 bucks.

2: A fat rad will allow you to expand up to running a cpu + gpu x 2 + mobo block while keeping your fans silent. Putting the same components on a slim rad will call for higher fan noise.

However, for just cooling a single component, a 360 slim rad is still technically overkill and thus can be run in silence with 3-6 good fans.

Now to answer your fitting questions. All watercooling parts use g 1/4 threads (some rare rare parts will use g 3/4). So your fitting has a threaded part and then the barb. The size of the barb is INDEPENDENT of the threaded side size.

So basically do what looks cool! Many people love the fat 1/2 '' ID and it probably will shave a degree or three off your temps, but 3/8 '' ID can be easier to rout as it's not so fat, and you won't run into problems where you can't fit two MASSIVE fittings on one small block, although many blocks can handle 2x 1/2'' with no problems.

Oh yeah, and only 7/16'' inner diameter with 5/8'' outer diameter will work with the tubing you bought. It is a good size as 3/8 > 7/16 > 1/2.

Adzsask February 5, 2012 10:27 AM

1/2 inch fittings for that tubing, also a pump/res top is smart, saves space and looks better I have a huge ugly XSPC duel 5 1/4 bay pump/res and it takes up a ton of room, and really doesn't look to good.

George Poncho February 21, 2012 02:06 PM

The Problem I am running accross is getting the 7/16" compression fittings. There seems not to be to many of these type of sizes around. Not sure why? So since my intial post I have now have the following items:

1. Swiftech APOGEE HD Limited Edition Water Block - 24K Gold Plated
2. PrimoFlex Pro LRT White Tubing -7/16in. ID X 5/8in. OD
3. Swiftech MCP655 12V Industrial Water Cooling Pump 1/2IN Barbs
4. Slim Triple 120mm Radiator XSPC RS360

Still need the Pump and the fittings. Would like to stay with compression since they look nice however will Barbs if need be. Or would it be better to go with a different tubing size

Pleae let me know the best route to go

George Poncho February 21, 2012 02:11 PM

The problem is that the fat rad may hit my motherboard. There is not much room from the top of the case to where the MB is a thin rad with fans will work however I still would not be able to put a fan on the back part of the rad due to the additional power connector located at the top part of the MB.

George Poncho February 21, 2012 02:25 PM

Water cooling help

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masteroderus (Post 598577)
The cosmos 2 has plenty of room for a rad. Good choice btw, very nice case :thumb:

Here is a question though: why would you rather have a slim rad with 6 fans than a fat rad with 3 fans? A fat rad is basically a quiet rad.

I would much rather have a fat rad with 3 good push fans (high static pressure) than a rad with lower heat transfer surface area and 6 fans for a couple of practical reasons.

1: Good fans cost money! If you want a fan that has performance and silence, it costs ~ 20 bucks (120mm). So 6 fans vs 3 fans will cost you ~ 60 bucks.

2: A fat rad will allow you to expand up to running a cpu + gpu x 2 + mobo block while keeping your fans silent. Putting the same components on a slim rad will call for higher fan noise.

However, for just cooling a single component, a 360 slim rad is still technically overkill and thus can be run in silence with 3-6 good fans.

Now to answer your fitting questions. All watercooling parts use g 1/4 threads (some rare rare parts will use g 3/4). So your fitting has a threaded part and then the barb. The size of the barb is INDEPENDENT of the threaded side size.

So basically do what looks cool! Many people love the fat 1/2 '' ID and it probably will shave a degree or three off your temps, but 3/8 '' ID can be easier to rout as it's not so fat, and you won't run into problems where you can't fit two MASSIVE fittings on one small block, although many blocks can handle 2x 1/2'' with no problems.

Oh yeah, and only 7/16'' inner diameter with 5/8'' outer diameter will work with the tubing you bought. It is a good size as 3/8 > 7/16 > 1/2.

Regarding your answer above. I was aware of the 1/4 threads and my question was more regarding the barb/compression fittings. My apologizes if I was not clear. Now that being said I am finding that there are not to many selections for the tubing I bought (7/16" inner diameter with 5/8' outer diameter). Hard to find angled compression fittings and Also the price seems more for this size of connectors compared to 3/8 or 1/2 inch. wonder why? Did I select the wrong tubing, should I have gone with 3/8"? Also what is the size in Metric. There are some other sites such as Aquatuning that has all sizes in Metric and when I do the conversion it seems that I got the wrong sizes to me it should be 7/16" Inner Diameter (11.112 mm), 5/8" Outer Diameter (15.875 mm) but they show different sizes on there web site.... they show 5/16 sizes hummm....

Any help would be great.:canadianwave:

airdeano February 29, 2012 11:35 PM

what ive done is use the angle adapters on barb fittings to gently move the hose to keep it in a smoother linear line.
7/16" hose on 1/2" barb fitting makes a tight seal (generally clamp-less, but for 1st time, a clamp would be a keen
idea). on compression fittings use the hose size to select fitting as this is the seal area.
generally, a 1/2" hose, fitting and bung offer the best flow, faster circulation, and best practice for the cooling
aspect. the smaller hose would be for smaller cases, short span lengths and lower temperature controls. mixing
different sizes can be done with only knowledge that the size is warranted to be smaller.
hope this doesn't muddy the water.

airdeano