Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   LinusTechTips Q&A (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/linustechtips-q/)
-   -   help (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/linustechtips-q/51000-help.html)

911legit January 27, 2012 12:20 PM

help

Hi, Linus awsome tip and reviews of all the new tch can you please help me on my new gaming build since you ar most knowledgeable and the best at pc review?

Note (This is going to be my first custom build)
Not sure on which motherboard i am going to use i want to know the best motherboard out on the market for gaming and graphics?

I want the pc to be 3D compatible.
Best water cooled system?
75-150 3D graphics card?
Do i need a 3D monitor for 3D gaming?

This is an over view on the spec which am going to use, is there any subsitutions i can make to the pc build to make it faster and cheaper?

Nzxt phantom case
motherboard???
Intel core i7
OCZ Vertex 3 Series 120 GB ssd
western digital HDD 3 TB
RAM DDR3 8 GB
Graphics card???
BLU RAY PLAYER

Thank Linus your the best!!!

Lyserberg January 27, 2012 02:50 PM

Well first of all THERE's two Core i7s outthere (at least still produced my Intel) there's the one of the 2011 Socket and there's the sandy bridge one for the 1155 socket,if u need gaming a Core i7 2700k will be more than enough for your needs,and there's also the Core i5 2500k which also should do his job,there's two solutions for 3D Gaming at this point and time,there's the AMD HD3D which sucks by any stretch of the imagination,and there's the 3D Vision which is faster to setup,more conveniant,and even more flexible technology,U can run to up to 1920x1200 120HZ 3D vision (or 3D VIsion 2) ready monitor,have your 3D vision (or 2) glasses,every glasses r compatible with every monitor as long as they r both 3D Vision certified;Horse power is something i'm not aware of:3D gaming is very demanding probably even more than increasing resolution even games like COD can put so much strain on your GPU by going from 2D to 3D,so a GTX590 or Dual GTX570 should perfom well at the 700 dollars price range,the budget that u said is only 2D (don't get it wrong) gaming capable,not even with blowing mind perfomance.
For SSD i suggest the Crucial M4,much reliable and stable and with the new firmware it is in threory capable of much more read/write speeds!
As a mobo to get the best of all these nice components,there's the GIGABYTE Z68XP-UD3P,this board is a very value oriented board,but PCIE 3.0 and Ivy bridge READY,SLI and CrossfireX ready dude can u ask even more? :D

pellelu January 27, 2012 05:09 PM

I have an OCZ Vertex 3 MaxIOPS 120g and I don't have any issue with it. For the RAM, I suggest that you do not put too much money in it since it doesn't affect that much your performance. There is a good deal for a 8G kit here : Corsair CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 Vengeance 8GB 2X4GB DDR3-1600 CL9-9-9-24 Dual Channel Memory Kit - Corsair - CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9
Keep your money for your monitor. 3D capable screens are expensive...

bigFOIG January 28, 2012 09:11 PM

Lyserberg suggested the 2700k being enough for your needs, but you most definitely not need it for gaming. You're not really gonna see a difference between the 2500k and the 2700k in gaming, so just get the cheaper one.

Yes, you need a 120hz 3D capable monitor to use 3d.

The best pre-configured liquid set-up right now is the Corsair H100 I believe.

You're not going to find a GTX 590 or GTX570 in SLI as Lyserberg suggested for 75-150... So don't even bother with those choices with your budget. Within your budget, you can get something like a GTX 560 Ti which is the most bang for the buck card right now and supports 3D. If you can, try and shell out a couple more bucks for a used GTX 570.

Perineum January 29, 2012 12:28 AM

For 3D I wouldn't do anything less than SLI'd 560's or a 580.

Lyserberg January 29, 2012 04:35 AM

@big FOIG your reply is confusing more than being really helpful,if he really needs to play in 3D,i reccommend on the very least what Perineum said (500-700 dollars range) otherwise there will be so much strain on your GPU causing framerate to drop badly in most action sequences (if not during all the game)
I reccommend u just go for 2D Gaming as long as u don't have the bucks to buy the horse power the spare with 3D vision.

bigFOIG January 29, 2012 02:54 PM

OP was asking for a video card 75-150 that is "3D compatible". GTX 560 Ti or a used GTX 570 is close to his budget and is 3D compatible. I never did say that he would be always getting 200FPS in BF3. He can be playing his 3D games on lower setttings with lower frame rates for now, and SLI his 560 or 570 down the road to improve his performance. I just think that suggesting a GTX 590 right off the bat when he was looking for a 75-150 card is just a ...little?... too much.

Lyserberg January 29, 2012 11:56 PM

No worries BigFoig, the thing is the 3D doesn't worth decreasing your Graphical settings in a given game,sure on some mainstream games like FIFA 12,AC Revelation,Prototype where Framerate is well-over 60 at all times,here a GTX560Ti will do just fine,but if he wants to play BF3 or CRYSIS2 or tHE Witcher 2 (something along those lines),the GPU may not even have the absolute power to master the game even in 2D mode! You know what i mean!