Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > LinusTechTips Q&A

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 24, 2012, 04:19 PM
Rookie

Default Noob Overlock mistake. Stable?

Hey, I recently built a new PC (Kinda inspired by Linus), Specs are:-

AMD Bulldozer 8150 3.6GHz (Currently at 4.15GHz, this is the problem).
4GB of pretty old RAM.
2 GTX 550Ti SLI.
An old 500GB HDD.
700W 0CZ PSU.

I have enough wattage to power everything so that's not a problem. What is the problem is the motherboard (ASUS Sabertooth 990FX), when I set it up, in the BIOS, there were 3 basic settings to chose from. Power Saver, Normal and. Being the hothead gaming person I am I instantly though "Wooo more power!" so I clicked the performance tab thinking it couldn't hurt. But then to my surprise, the CPU was now running at 4.15 GHz. Now I have no idea how stable this is, it's on the stock fan (which I'm guessing isn't very suitable for this kinda clock speed, even though I have a Phantom 410 case which has pretty good ventilation) voltage is currently 1.260V and the bus speed is 230. Any idea how stable this is? And how would I unoverlock if necessary? Thanks for any help. :)
Old January 24, 2012, 04:21 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

don't start to threads mate for the same question
Old January 24, 2012, 05:16 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

if you want to unoverclock it just put it back to normal but i dont see why you would. keep an eye on the temps because if you have a stock cooler then you could have problems. if your concerned about stability then just run a stress test like prime95
Old January 29, 2012, 03:44 AM
Lyserberg

Use Prime 95,and blend using all the memory to test the worse case scenario,And keep an eye on HWmonitor ( a software on internet u can just google it)
If it freezes or BSOD or shows some errors that is definatly not stable!