Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > LinusTechTips Q&A

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 20, 2012, 10:02 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMetaphor View Post
1 -Can you double check that model #? I couldnt find and DX2400 on Gateways site, but I did find this on the HP site: HP Compaq dx2400 Microtower PC*-* Download drivers and software - HP Business Support Center - BUT that seems to be an Intel-based system, not AMD like you've stated.

2- That should be plenty for a decent mini tower cooler (like a CM TX3) or a decent to high-end top-down cooler. We'll see how much money is left over after we determine what your motherboard can take, processor-wise.
Oh, sorry ,its a DX 4200
Old January 20, 2012, 11:08 PM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by XP51MustangX View Post
Oh, sorry ,its a DX 4200
In that case its time you get reading pal :P
Found this thread relating to your system and upgrades for it: Upgrade options for this Gateway DX4200-09 - AnandTech Forums
Seems as if you can flash if with a modded bios (if you have to) to enable support for the newer X6/Thuban Phenom processors. However, I think they mentioned that Deneb processors work fine without the flash. Which means this: Newegg.ca - AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor HDZ955FBGMBOX
coupled with a decent cooler that will fit your tower like this: Newegg.ca - COOLER MASTER Hyper TX3 RR-910-HTX3-G1 "Heatpipe Direct Contact" 92mm CPU Cooler
- should be withing your budget after taxes and shipping even! (But read the thread above first to make sure, i didnt read it all myself)
Old January 21, 2012, 12:02 AM
MVP

This thread was fun, I like it when old systems get substantially better while keeping the things that worked well already.
Old January 21, 2012, 11:37 AM
Rookie

It says that a 95W and below processor is advised. Im not too knowledgeable on power details in a computer, but from what i know now is it safe to assume that the 125 watt rating is the maximum power consumption?

Because i see it this way. If 125 watts is maximum power usage on a 3.2 ghz quad core, and i plan on eventually getting Battlefield 3, would the processor be using all of its potential in BF3 under stress?

Because if its not under load in a BF3 match, its not going to be near that use when playing the games i own now (Left for Dead 2, Empire total war, Battlefield Bad company 2, Battlestations pacific, ect.)

What would you think the processors load would be (i.e, 70% load, 80% load,) would be using 95 Watts of power on that 3.2 ghz Phenom II. Im concerned since the mobo wasnt exactly designed for 125 watts of CPU usage.
Old January 21, 2012, 12:24 PM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Ah ha! 95W limitation! I wouldn't suggest a 125w CPU then - it may damage your motherboard. More for the power draw, than heat really. If that board is an OEM Gateway its probably made by Foxconn/ECS/Pc-Chips/etc which arent exactly known for their stability. That being the case, I'd get the strongest 95w CPU you can find from the Deneb family with the heatsink i mentioned previously. A mild overclock will be be okay as well, but don't go shooting for 4Ghz with a mobo like that.
Old January 21, 2012, 12:33 PM
Rookie

any suggestions? There are alot of deactivated PII 95W CPUs on Newegg but they dont seem to have many available ones.

Preferably none on Amazon, ive had alot of trouble with them before.

Last edited by XP51MustangX; January 21, 2012 at 12:40 PM.