Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > LinusTechTips Q&A

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 11, 2011, 09:29 PM
Rookie

Default Question for Linus.

I know the answer is most likely no, but I want to ask anyways.
This christmas I will be getting my first WC loop for my GTX 590 and 2500k. I am not 100% confident in installing the block on my 590, and I would like to know if linus could spare an hour or so to do it if I shipped it to him (of course i'm not asking you to do this for free, I'll pay if you ask). This was just a hope of mine, so I figured I would ask even though I pretty much know the answer.
Old December 11, 2011, 09:50 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I doubt he'll commit on that one. Mounting the blocks is actually the easy part of a custom WC loop. It's the plumbing that you have to take the time on and make sure you do right. One leak can ruin a lot of expensive parts. Make sure you leak test for 24 hours before starting up your computer on your first loop. As you become more comfortable dealing with it, that time becomes less. With compression fittings and a good comfort ratio, when I plumbed in my 580 last week, I leak tested for a whole 15 minutes.
Old December 11, 2011, 09:54 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

May I suggest not leak testing with your entire system powered up. I fried an 8800gt back in the day during my first WC install. I promised myself I would keep a close eye on it, but all the papertowel wadding around everything only masked the leak, and when I discovered it, it was too late. /tear
Jump your PSU by shorting the green and a black to turn on your psu and pump (disconnect the power connections to the mobo, and your vid card/hard drives/cdrom)
Old December 12, 2011, 02:38 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarJ View Post
I doubt he'll commit on that one. Mounting the blocks is actually the easy part of a custom WC loop. It's the plumbing that you have to take the time on and make sure you do right. One leak can ruin a lot of expensive parts. Make sure you leak test for 24 hours before starting up your computer on your first loop. As you become more comfortable dealing with it, that time becomes less. With compression fittings and a good comfort ratio, when I plumbed in my 580 last week, I leak tested for a whole 15 minutes.
Very nice, what are your temps?
Old December 12, 2011, 03:22 AM

I actually already did a video about how to do this. Just be careful and go slow.

EK Water Blocks GTX 480 Full Cover Video Card Water Block Installation Guide Linus Tech Tips - YouTube

Triple check everything and you'll be fine.

For faster (and official) NCIX service please contact our customer care team at www.NCIX.com (Canada) or www.NCIXUS.com (USA)

Heatware: http://heatware.com/eval.php?id=25647
Old December 12, 2011, 03:30 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linus View Post
I actually already did a video about how to do this. Just be careful and go slow.

EK Water Blocks GTX 480 Full Cover Video Card Water Block Installation Guide Linus Tech Tips - YouTube

Triple check everything and you'll be fine.
Thanks. I also noticed in your most recent video, your cat's bathroom is closer to the guest room than your guest bathroom if I remember correctly.
Old December 12, 2011, 03:32 AM
Rookie

I also had one last Q, should I keep the back plate for the VRM chips on the back?
Old December 12, 2011, 09:00 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Yes, if it will fit with your block. The back plates help with temps, and stiffen the PCB so it doesn't warp with the block on. I just ordered a backplate for my 580. As for GPU temps, my 580 idles mid 30's and load at 41 deg, while running 1.075V and OC'd to 850 core. I'm still dialing it in.