Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > LinusTechTips Q&A

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 5, 2011, 03:36 AM
Default What kind of memory should I choose for my Phenom II X6

This is a question from 1337k1RK:

Quote:
Hey linus.

I got a question for you.

Iam building a new computer for first time. Can any Memory fit into an Amd Phenom ii x6? I mean, something like Kingston hyperX 8gb.
Actually pretty much any dual channel 1333 - 1600MHz kit will work fine with your Phenom II X6. Beyond that you don't get much performance improvement for the additional cost of the kit.

If compatibility is a concern, AMD actually has Patriot co-branded certified AMD platform modules that are a sure bet if you want something that is guaranteed to work with the memory controller on your Phenom.

For faster (and official) NCIX service please contact our customer care team at www.NCIX.com (Canada) or www.NCIXUS.com (USA)

Heatware: http://heatware.com/eval.php?id=25647
Old November 5, 2011, 09:34 AM
Top Prospect

With my AMD rigs, I've always found Mushkin Redline to work the best. The last AMD CPU I ran was the X6 1055T and I was able run 4 DIMMs at 1600MHz, 6-8-6-21-1T with absolutely no issues. I tried 4 DIMMs with some other brands before the Mushkin and I never could get them to play nice.

With only 2 DIMMs (as it sounds like you're looking at a 2x4GB kit), it shouldn't be a problem getting rated speed and timings. Just be aware that some kits are "Designed for i5/i7" so they only guarantee the rated speed and timings on an Intel platform. In most cases this isn't an issue, but it's just something to keep in mind when you're shopping for RAM.