Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > LinusTechTips Q&A

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 11, 2011, 05:36 PM
Default Running an HD 4890. Should I upgrade now or wait until next year?

This is a question from joe88118:

Quote:
Hi i've seen and loved your vids and it has comed to my mind that you know alot about computers :P so i have a question, should i buy a gtx 560 ti now or should i wait until next year or when the new series are coming? im currently running an hd 4890. i want some more power for the new games coming this november.

hd4890
intel core i5 2,6ghz
4gb 1333mhz
and only a 500 watts psu

im going to upgrade all the other stuff next year btw but i thought mabey i just should buy graphics card now and the rest next year. plz reply i dont even know if you read your messages. lol
Honestly if you need more horsepower, then you should upgrade your graphics card. I find that a little bit of the sting gets taken out of it if you upgrade frequently enough that you can still sell your old one for a few bucks.

In another year that 4890 definitely won't be worth much, so I say get rid of it now while you have the chance, and grab something to tide you over.

For faster (and official) NCIX service please contact our customer care team at www.NCIX.com (Canada) or www.NCIXUS.com (USA)

Heatware: http://heatware.com/eval.php?id=25647
Old October 11, 2011, 06:07 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

WHy get rid of a card if it can play whatever you are playing? I see no sense in upgrading unless there is an actual need. Selling a card because it will be worth less money in the future is just not good advice.

I use my laptop to play games. It has a G210M video card which is hardly high end. It plays everything I want and even does it with medium or better settings.

Honestly, don't change the card just to change it. Only change it if it is truly suffering to render the games you play. The HD4890 is still a good card, it just lacks DX11 features.
Old October 11, 2011, 06:25 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

While I totally agree with you b1lk1, my guess is that he will need a new GPU to run games maxed (specially the ones coming out in November).
Usually what I will say is very similar to b1lk1, wait until it no longer does what you want it to do, then you know its time to upgrade. If playing games at lower details does not bother you, then you will likely be able to keep the GPU for a bit longer. I personally have a 4890 and its no slouch, aside from folding.
Old October 11, 2011, 08:06 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

i wouldn't crossfire it

would just wait if you can until amd's and nvidia's cards come out if you can wait that long for nvidia
then decide
Old October 11, 2011, 10:24 PM
Rookie

Default Good things do come when wait. : )

I would definitely wait a few months because the new 28nm AMD Radeon HD 7X00 series

will be coming out. ! yeah

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd...ory,13408.html

Last edited by orpanyd; October 11, 2011 at 10:31 PM.
Old October 12, 2011, 07:23 AM
Rookie

Hello im joe88118 i made an account here now so yay! Thanks for all the replys, and i have decided to wait a couple of months for the new series to arrive i checked your link "orpanyd" and im definetly waiting for those cards :P
Old October 12, 2011, 07:36 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I know I'm coming in late into this thread, however unless you are finding it hard to run your games at/near max settings for your resolution you should wait until the new architectures. Worse case scenario you pick up a current generation then when their prizes drop to clear the stock out to make way for the new generation.
Old October 12, 2011, 07:56 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linus View Post
I find that a little bit of the sting gets taken out of it if you upgrade frequently enough that you can still sell your old one for a few bucks.

In another year that 4890 definitely won't be worth much, so I say get rid of it now while you have the chance, and grab something to tide you over.
If you sell your used goodies at a decent price you will just about always be able to sell them.......
Old October 12, 2011, 09:57 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I vote for the wait till it doesn't do what you want anymore and then upgrade plan.
Desktop: Antec Three Hundred, Z77-D3H, 3570K undervolt @4.1ghz with Zalman Optima Cooler, Corsair Vengeance 2x4gb@1866mhz, HD 6950(unlocked shaders and OC'd), Bitfenix Fury 750w, WD Black 1TB, Intel 530 120GB
Away from home light Gamer: Acer Aspire 15.6", A8-3500m undervolt and OC to 2Ghz, 2x4gb Corsair Vengeance, Crucial M500 240gb
Old October 13, 2011, 09:47 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

if u don't have like a load of money, you should sell it and buy a new card now, cause when a new card comes out its like wickedsick expensive, so.. i agree with linus, upgrade frequently, and sell the old one before it's not worth sh*t! but with that setup you've got, i would consider upgrading alittle more then just the gpu ;D