Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > LinusTechTips Q&A

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 8, 2011, 06:33 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

sorry, but LOL ^
I still agree that the linus section should be omitted from the new posts section.
Old October 8, 2011, 06:45 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Ok, but if these posts are omitted from new posts...how will the community know that there is a question to be answered? HWC main goal is, was and shall always will be to HELP people, especially people who are just starting out in this awesome hobby. Thats why I joined and why (I hope) you guys did to.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old October 8, 2011, 06:52 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

What about a check box to allow it or not, or a separate section in the new posts page for linus posts.
Old October 8, 2011, 06:55 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
Ok, but if these posts are omitted from new posts...how will the community know that there is a question to be answered? HWC main goal is, was and shall always will be to HELP people, especially people who are just starting out in this awesome hobby. Thats why I joined and why (I hope) you guys did to.
Seems like a lot of "regulars" here are forgetting that.
Old October 8, 2011, 07:11 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
The HWC community is still helping people on a daily basis. However help comes from the community's own good will. Is it easier to post on youtube, and not being sure of when/if the question will be answered. Or post here directly. Which brings us to the necessity of this forum section.

There's a REPLY button on youtube, and the OP will get a notification whenever someone replies to their comment. MUCH easier to get an answer that way.

Zephyranthes
E8400 4.0ghz, XFX 780i, Mushkin XP2 PC-6400, Antec Earthwatts 750W

Old October 8, 2011, 10:30 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Helping out is fine. What is becoming quite distasteful is mainly the overt commercialization of the forums and it feels like a corporate site. As I said before, the moderation has left alot to be desired and there are many threads that have had minimal conflict yet a mod has made it clear that they are unhappy with what is posted and then the threads are locked.

This is obviously a private forum and can be run as seen fit, but don't expect everyone to be happy with the end results. Many of us came here to get AWAY from NCIX forums and now there seems little to discern this place from NCIX since the corporate ties are now VERY strong.

Now lets see how much longer a discussion like this can remain open without being closed.
Old October 9, 2011, 06:55 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

I see hardly any posts linking back to NCIX and to be honest, if you search more links actually go back to Newegg.ca or Canada Computers than NCIX. To tell you the truth over 60% of the retailer linkbacks / trackbacks coming from this forum go to Newegg.ca or Newegg.com. Even this Linus Tech Tips section is a PRIVATE venture between Linus and us.

Granted, the Tech Tips Youtube channel is sponsored by NCIX and Linus works on it during his time at NCIX but if people ask questions about or post links to NCIX why in the world would we really care?
Old October 9, 2011, 07:21 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I am confused..how exactly is a linus tips thread bad? I for one find it an excellent idea. People go to Linus for help all the time due to his work at NCIX..Linus isn't the end all be all of computer answers and as such needs to research answers to some questions. So instead of having to manage his job and all the questions he brings them here. Everyone has a different opinion - fix - solution so the question asker gets options from various sources. Op wins in the end.
It has it's own section so new comers can find their answers faster...Thats how I see this section anyways
Old October 9, 2011, 07:42 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Perhaps one suggestion is for the Linus tech Tips threads to be filed into the appropriate sub forum (ie. Processors, Storage, Networking, etc). I know that when i search out for an old thread for references to issues I look through the sub forum(s) first. The appropriate sub forum also helps me to sift through the new posts to get an idea on what a thread might be about.

I think we should remember a couple of things here:

1. If the owners of HWC see an opportunity to drive more traffic here, you can't blame them for trying it out. At some point the bills need to be paid, and hopefully some profit. Can't blame the owners for taking advantage of their links with NCIX

2. Linus is a community member here, and has been for some time. Nothing wrong with HWC supporting a member in their endeavours. We also support Dazmode's business too, and also kruzn4evr's foray into the builder's business.
Fold for team #54196

Last edited by chrisk; October 9, 2011 at 07:49 AM.
Old October 9, 2011, 11:12 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1lk1 View Post
Helping out is fine. What is becoming quite distasteful is mainly the overt commercialization of the forums and it feels like a corporate site. As I said before, the moderation has left alot to be desired and there are many threads that have had minimal conflict yet a mod has made it clear that they are unhappy with what is posted and then the threads are locked.

This is obviously a private forum and can be run as seen fit, but don't expect everyone to be happy with the end results. Many of us came here to get AWAY from NCIX forums and now there seems little to discern this place from NCIX since the corporate ties are now VERY strong.

Now lets see how much longer a discussion like this can remain open without being closed.
I think you need to understand HOW moderation works on HWC nowadays, nowadays Mods tend to stay out of thread and let the system sort things out ussally ( not always no ) they tend not to act without a report. So a member reports a post/thread and then a Mod acts. This system is a hella lot more restrictive and in effect allows HWC members to have more of a voice over what happens here than just a Mod.
In other words a Mod tends to not make a move until he receives a report then acts. IMO this is a good system since it allows HWC forum MEMBER's to help dictate policy to a degree.

Of course they could just give me my Mod powers back for a day and I could then simply clean the boards of shit disturbers.

I mean both John and I used to just wade into argumentative discussions with a big a stick, want to argue fine, temp vacation. This way limits a Mod from doing that unless it is reported and if it is reported then isnt that Mod just listening to his members?

You will never make everyone happy but IMO I think this system is a good system for the Member base.

Also everyone crying about this being a corporate site............ WTF ppl you do realize that this forum sprang into being as the DC user support forum right? Of course there is going to be ties to netlink always will be.

I have said what I think about the Linus Threads in the first page of the Feedback thread, good idea but as others would like to see it tied into the other forums with redirects, but I like neatness, every thread in its place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton