Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   LinusTechTips Q&A (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/linustechtips-q/)
-   -   How high can I overclock * (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/linustechtips-q/46970-how-high-can-i-overclock.html)

Linus October 3, 2011 01:41 PM

How high can I overclock *

This is a question from WoWkiddymage:

Quote:

yo what ratecan i clock an i7 2600k w/ an h80 liquid cooler?
I'll answer this question in general terms since it comes up so often that I will probably end up making this post a sticky and then directing others who ask the same thing to it.

Overclocking performance is never as simple as "how much will I get with this CPU+motherboard or this CPU+cooler. Many components including power supply, motherboard, cooling, CPU, and RAM can affect overclocking.

In addition, even buying the right hardware doesn't guarantee anything. Two people can build the exact same machine as each other and one of them might be good for a 30% overclock, while the other might be good for a 5% overclock.

No one will be able to tell you anything other than what they were able to achieve in SIMILAR circumstances, so instead of asking "How high will I be able to overclock with this hardware", you should post on a couple forums and ask "How high were others able to overclock [insert piece of hardware here] and what components were used?"

Supergrover October 3, 2011 01:49 PM

Also how much are you willing to overvolt, I am more than willing to push 1.5+v into my 2600k but you might not be.

So how much do you want to risk that cpu? There is great gains to be made from overclocking but it isnt without risks. As long as you understand those risks then your good to go.

Linus October 3, 2011 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Supergrover (Post 554445)
As long as you understand those risks then your good to go.

And therein lies the problem. 99% of the people who ask "how much can I overclock [piece of hardware]" are not at a stage in their hardware education to understand those risks, or they would not ask that question, which makes me very uncomfortable answering it.

Another factor I forgot to mention is the patience/skill of the individual. If you're willing to be more patient, then you will be able to overclock more. If you just want to know "what do I dial in to make it go moar faster", then you probably won't get as high.

Perineum October 3, 2011 02:12 PM

Here is a general answer...

2600K is usually good for 4.5ghz with reasonable voltage.

geokilla October 3, 2011 02:21 PM

A better answer...

Please learn English before messaging Linus.

Supergrover October 3, 2011 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by geokilla (Post 554459)
A better answer...

Please learn English before messaging Linus.

Wow constructive post there Geo:thumb:

groundwire123 October 5, 2011 11:45 AM

Yah, its not about how high, its how high can you go till your not comfortable with the voltage. I don't own a 2600k but I know that for the lga1155 platform its the way to go. I wont settle for anything less than an x58 or the new 2011 coming out soon. I personally would not put more than 1.44 into mine. At this point, I think your lowering the life of the cpu. But think about this: a 40% overclock, which is usually safe for the life span of the cpu with decent cooling, is a big improvement. I like what perineum said. Thats sound about right for a 2600k from what I have herd and read. I would aim for that. What I would focus on after that is getting some @2000 or 1866 memory. Bring it up to specs or a little beyond, and your kicking some serious but!!!. Then, SSD's for boot. That will speed up your system

NI3 October 5, 2011 01:09 PM

Judging by the turbo, would it be safe to say, "If done properly (which isn't hard), with an H80, an overclock of 3.8Ghz, is a safe minimum, and a good speed for beginners"?

I know that no one wants to be the cause of someone killing their cpu, so for beginners I would always say to go a lot lower than what an experience overclocker can achieve. I can get my PhII chip to somewhere in the 4Ghz range, but I would tell someone just starting to overclock to take it to 3.5 maybe.

Perineum October 5, 2011 02:44 PM

Well some of the chips I've OC'd will actually run 4.5 on stock voltage, so I really mean "reasonable voltage"....

Mind you, getting that same chip to 5.0ghz required getting the last bit of speed from other ways rather than just the multiplier, and pushed that chip just under 100C under load. That's with the big Noctua D14 as well. Even going up to 4.8 gave way too much voltage / heat for the end result.

300mhz to 500mzh isn't worth doubling your CPUs temperature and running a sheeeotload more voltage through it.

groundwire123 October 6, 2011 09:17 PM

@ni3 you said, "If done properly (which isn't hard), with an H80, an overclock of 3.8Ghz, is a safe minimum, and a good speed for beginners?"

All I have to say is don't use Turbo. I have read a lot and still not enough on overclocking and the one thing that has come clear to me is unless your trying to save energy, Don't use turbo. I have herd to many horror stories of people burning up their new extreme core's by using that darn turbo. At least when overclocking, disable it. And after that if you have good temps (20-45) its safe to say "enable Turbo boost". But I leave mine disabled cause energy is no concern, (meaning you let the turbo give you the boost when you need it which equals more watts and higher electric bill). I would turn it off and then get what you can out of it.