Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > LinusTechTips Q&A

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 30, 2011, 07:20 PM
Default Looking for a touchscreen monitor (not an all in one)

This is a question from Brockenstein:

Quote:
Do you have any recommendations on touch screen monitors? Not All in one PCs but just the monitor itself.
Honestly I cannot think of a good reason to buy a touchscreen monitor for desktop use. May I ask why you need one? Some kind of special application?

For faster (and official) NCIX service please contact our customer care team at www.NCIX.com (Canada) or www.NCIXUS.com (USA)

Heatware: http://heatware.com/eval.php?id=25647
Old September 30, 2011, 08:17 PM
MVP
F@H

Wacom touchscreen if you can afford it and have a creative use for it - i.e. it's essentially a very large tablet and pen combination. For that cost, you'd have to be doing a lot of art work or graphic design to justify it or just rich. Plus you'd need the software that would support it well.

A smaller Wacom tablet would be more cost effective. or using a scanner to transfer from paper to digital.
Old October 1, 2011, 06:44 AM
F@H

My System Specs

We actually use some touch screen monitors at work, they are rather big (30"+) however they work perfectly with essentially any software. We use them for our virtual control room simulator that nuclear operators train and verify on.

Let me try to remember what brand they are called, or worse case wait until monday to see who we get them from. One very big warning is that these things are VERY expensive and the need for these beyond a handful of applications is really none (aka gaming for one is pointless)
Old October 3, 2011, 07:38 AM
Rookie

The models I have been looking at are ST2220T, E2239FWT and PX2230MW. I think for me itís more of a tossup between ST2220T and E2239FWT but I didn't know if you guys had recommendations for a touchscreen monitor in the $250-$350 range.

The reason I am looking to buy it is really just for my wife. I am building her a desktop and I am making it as flashy and amazing as possible with in my budget. Now I am just down to the last part, the multi-touch monitor.

I don't have much experience with multi-touch monitors or even all in one units with that feature. So I have no clue what companies are the best or if they are red flags when looking for one of these monitors.
Old October 3, 2011, 07:46 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Well I'm at work and it seems we use NEC monitors, we've been using them from what I've been told for several years without any problems with the 20+ we have in our different simulator class rooms. Not sure if they make them small enough nor within your budget.

Any reason why she needs the touch screen, it takes a while to learn and can sometimes be a rather big pain compared to just using a keyboard and mouse.
Old October 3, 2011, 07:56 AM
Rookie

It's not really a need, though she has used touch screens before and loves them so I don't think there will be much learning for her. When she doesn't want to use the touchscreen a mouse and a flashy keyboard will be at her disposal. Eventually if I like how hers works and see that she uses it a lot I would like to setup a touchscreen, maybe an all-in-one, into a wall in the kitchen for use there.

But again I am looking to buy one for her because I know she would use it and enjoy it. Not really a need but since my goal was to build her a flashy unique computer I figure why not?
Old October 3, 2011, 08:19 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Well be prepared then to pay a premium for touch screens then if that is your path. I've heard typically very good things about Dell monitors, so we could assume their touch screens are equally as well. Like I've said, I've only dealt with NEC's touch screens and whatever really I had to sell 2 years ago at best buy (hp touch screens)
Old October 3, 2011, 12:30 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brockenstein View Post
Eventually if I like how hers works and see that she uses it a lot I would like to setup a touchscreen, maybe an all-in-one, into a wall in the kitchen for use there.
Good idea with mounting it in the kitchen. She probably wouldn't feel right if she tried to use it anywhere else.

Also, it's easier for her to make you a sammich.

ELO make touch screen monitors, btw....