Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > LinusTechTips Q&A

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 30, 2011, 11:11 AM
Default What are safe temperatures for a modern graphics card

This is a question from karkaz09:

Quote:
hi i jsut buy msi gtx 560 twin frozer II and what is this card safe tempreture . when i play battalefield 3 its up to 75 dagres ,. is this bad ?
75 degrees is very safe for a modern graphics card. In fact I'd say that those are VERY good temperatures under load in BF3 :)

Anything under 90-95 degrees is considered "within specification" these days on high end graphics cards, believe it or not...

For faster (and official) NCIX service please contact our customer care team at www.NCIX.com (Canada) or www.NCIXUS.com (USA)

Heatware: http://heatware.com/eval.php?id=25647
Old September 30, 2011, 11:29 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linus View Post
This is a question from karkaz09:

75 degrees is very safe for a modern graphics card. In fact I'd say that those are VERY good temperatures under load in BF3 :)

Anything under 90-95 degrees is considered "within specification" these days on high end graphics cards, believe it or not...
Can't say I entirely agree with this, seeing as the only temperatures that are ever reported are the actual graphics cores, with the rest of the chips that have a tendency to get hot. An example are memory chips (vRAM) which a lot of the times with these newer generations overheat causing artifacts and driver crashing while the core is at a nice safe temperature.
Old September 30, 2011, 11:52 AM

Not a bad point. Like you said, it depends on card design. On that particular card if the core is 75C my assumption is that everything is peachy-keen since it has dual fans blowing down directly on the VRM/RAM components.

On some cards that may not necessarily be the case.

For faster (and official) NCIX service please contact our customer care team at www.NCIX.com (Canada) or www.NCIXUS.com (USA)

Heatware: http://heatware.com/eval.php?id=25647
Old September 30, 2011, 11:53 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Still can't quite agree, as I had those cards in my hands and with a heavy overclock it would crash at 75C, its all relatively but personally no vCore temperature is safe with the default fan profile.
Old September 30, 2011, 12:35 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

IMO If you're crashing at 75C with a heavy overclock that's usually a sign that your overclock is unstable!
Old September 30, 2011, 12:46 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoob View Post
IMO If you're crashing at 75C with a heavy overclock that's usually a sign that your overclock is unstable!
You are aware one reason for unstable overclocking is other chips other then the vcore overheating without you know it. I've had/dealt with cards that would driver crash above 70C core (not mine personally) but would run fine below that because other components were overheating without warning (like their temperatures)
Old September 30, 2011, 01:31 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

75 degrees I am not sure what the average for those cards are especial while gaming online I know that my 260 and 285 gtx cards while gaming would be around the same temp up to around mid 80s, but those cards and the card this person is talking about are totally different.
I thought that I read some where t hat the 560 had some driver issue that made the card run hotter or is that a different nvid card I am thinking about?
Old September 30, 2011, 01:52 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

75c on a twin frozer? i get better temps with my reference 6870 with 1Ghz on the core and 1200Mhz on the memory in furmark not even kidding not sure if i just got an amazing card or what
Old September 30, 2011, 02:47 PM
MVP

My System Specs

most "modern" cards are able to do mid to high 70- to around 80C on the core, most vram/vreg will be around the 84-92 range when core is at these temps.

FYI AMD specs thier vregs capable of max operating temp of 125C thier core somewhere around 105C, Nvidia is usually 115C on vreg and core aroun 105C as well, now just becuause they are designed to operate up to this temp it also shortens thier lifespan, not to mention as others have said the likely hood of artifacts/performance issues is also alot higher as these parts get too hot.

A cool card on core/mem/vreg is a happy card, unfortunately alot of "non" reference coolers sacrifice all card cooling and concentrate on the core, most cards cores can run into the 88c mark without much issue, however with the new cards if memory/vreg get this hot they usually start throttling these parts to avoid excess heat production and also affects performance especially with the way Nvidia does the vreg/memory controllers as they employ power gating/ecc.

A program such as GPU-Z may tell you what temps of every part is, however I also find running the fan at a constant speed is better for the fan(s) on card and usally will remain a given temperature no matter what you are doing(after you have seen this temp, set the fan to a % accordingly, usually 50-75% is enough)

Generally speaking I try to get my core no higher then 74C on core, 70C memory, vreg around 72C, my cpu runs 50C on hottest core, hard drives read 36c at hottest, this is with an ASUS Radeon 6870 with a pretty high clock of 970 core mem of 1150, cpu is core 2 E8400 highly clocked/overvolted/very high FSB, in a Raven 03 case, this was highest I have seen it go running bitcoin farming playing bf3 beta.

I have said to my buddies if the card AT MOST hits 75C core vreg/mem NO HIGHER then 84c or so, you are oding ok, cooler the better, when core starts to go above 80 usually vreg are approaching 90, that in my opinion needs extra cooling, but it can be said modern cards stay cooler in idle but MOST card usually hit in the high 60 to 90 range for most of the card, but thats at stock fans optimized fornoise, not cooling, beyond that it is hard on the bearings of a fan to ramp up/down not to mention hard on the card to be hot/cool constantly, 60-75C range and control fan manually using EVGA precsion, MSI afterburner, sapphire trix, or even open hardware monitor.

hope this helps, sorry for long post.