Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > LinusTechTips Q&A

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 29, 2011, 07:39 PM
Default Okay to run dual GTX 460 cards from PCI and molex connectors at the same time?

This is a question from udontseemebutiseeyou:

Quote:
I bought a gtx 460 hawk in the NCIXUS grand opening sale, and while I do not plan to do it immediately, I want to go sli within the next half year.

anyways I was originally planning on getting a 750w psu with 4 6pin power connectors, but I was wondering if a sli certified 650w psu with 1 6pin, 1 6+2pin and 4 molex connectors would do the job for sli using the gtx 460's included molex to 6pin adapters.

Can i safely run this configuration? If so would you recommend having one oc'd card on pci connectors and the other on molex, or having each card with one molex and one pci connector at factory speeds?

additional info
- I am on a budget
-I will be running a 125w cpu, but a 95w is not out of the question
-I only have 2 hdd's and one disk drive
It should be fine, but one thing to watch out for is the rail distribution of your PSU. Maybe you can let us know which model it is exactly so we can give you a more solid answer.

For faster (and official) NCIX service please contact our customer care team at www.NCIX.com (Canada) or www.NCIXUS.com (USA)

Heatware: http://heatware.com/eval.php?id=25647
Old September 29, 2011, 10:53 PM
Rookie

Default PSU model

OCZ-ZS650W
Its an OCZ ZS series PSU. below is a link to the manufacturer's website
OCZ ZS Series 550W - 750W Power Supply - OCZ

However I was looking at PSU's in general and wanted to know if a power supply like this ocz could be a viable solution.
Old September 29, 2011, 11:06 PM
MVP
F@H

OCZ is a "viable" option, but it suffers from a bad reputation so there are a quite a few people who wouldn't recommend them.

If you can, go for an Antec, Corsair, or a Seasonic power supply in the 600W range.

Generally the more powerful units will have more PCIe connectors so you won't need to use adapters.
Old September 30, 2011, 06:41 AM
Hall Of Fame

I personally never recommend to use molex adapters and always say if you need to use them buy a new psu.

When you use those molex adapters you put more load onto a rail that isn't necessarily designed for it.
Old September 30, 2011, 06:54 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
I personally never recommend to use molex adapters and always say if you need to use them buy a new psu.

When you use those molex adapters you put more load onto a rail that isn't necessarily designed for it.
Especially if the PSU in question right now is an OCZ...
Old October 2, 2011, 07:45 PM
MVP

My System Specs

What can be the worst possible outcome, if the rail is overloaded? I want to do the same thing with an additional GTX 460 768MB, and I have an OCZ GameXStreme 700W SLI certified PSU.

Old October 2, 2011, 08:00 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apathetik View Post
What can be the worst possible outcome, if the rail is overloaded? I want to do the same thing with an additional GTX 460 768MB, and I have an OCZ GameXStreme 700W SLI certified PSU.
Overloaded rail can cause PSU to fail and possibly send voltage spikes down the rails to other components.
Old October 2, 2011, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Overloaded rail can cause PSU to fail and possibly send voltage spikes down the rails to other components.
Althought in THEORY a PSU with OCP would just shut down.

In theory.....

For faster (and official) NCIX service please contact our customer care team at www.NCIX.com (Canada) or www.NCIXUS.com (USA)

Heatware: http://heatware.com/eval.php?id=25647
Old October 2, 2011, 11:18 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Is my set up viable to run a 2nd 460? I would think so, and risk trying it. If something fries, its a damn good excuse to go sandy bridge haha.

Old October 3, 2011, 12:33 AM
MVP
F@H

In theory, your power supply should handle the load just fine.

But one has to wonder how a PSU could be labeled as "SLI ready" and not have enough connectors to do SLI properly...