Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > LinusTechTips Q&A

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 29, 2011, 11:05 AM
Default Building a new PC with 2500K, P8P67 PRO, GTX 560 Ti. Need help with PSU choice

This is a question from feubarkada:

Quote:
Hey! I need your help about building a gaming pc. I already have the intel i5 2500k with asus p8p67 pro mobo and msi gtx 560 ti. I just dont know what kind of psu should i get(what watt?), cause in the future ill get another gtx 560 ti. And im also having a hard to time of which computer case i should get, im thinking about nzxt phantom(any color). But if you have another suggestion about computer case, please tell me. Btw this is my first gaming computer, and first time building it.
Looks like you've already got a pretty firm grasp on what you want. The one change I would suggest so far to your base configuration is to go for a Z68 board if possible. That way you can get the video transcoding features or add an SSD in the future if you want as a cache for your boot drive.

As for PSU, my brands of choice right now are Antec and Corsair, although there are other good options out there. I would say an AX750 would be a good fit for that system and would give you room to go SLI with another mid-level card in the future if you want.

For faster (and official) NCIX service please contact our customer care team at www.NCIX.com (Canada) or www.NCIXUS.com (USA)

Heatware: http://heatware.com/eval.php?id=25647
Old September 29, 2011, 02:56 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Wow! Thanks for the reply. Anyway i am actually getting an 64gb SSD for my boot drive, and about the Z68 can you tell me what exactly of z68? is that better than p8p67?

My other parts are:
Patriot 8gb (2x4gb) ram
H8 for cpu cooling
Nzxt phantom ( im still thinking if im getting that or not.)
Wester digital 1tb

Do you have any other suggestion? I just wanna make sure that i got everything right before i buy the other parts. Cause i dont wanna fail my first gaming rig. Im planning to build it before 2nd of october. :)
Old September 29, 2011, 03:25 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

The Z68 boards basically have a few more features than the P67 boards. They allow a person to use on board video, over clock and take advantage of the SSD cache feature.
The oath to serve your country did not include a contract for normal luxury, and comforts enjoyed within our society. On the contrary it implies hardships, loyalty and devotion to duty, regardless of rank
Old September 29, 2011, 04:44 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryC View Post
The Z68 boards basically have a few more features than the P67 boards. They allow a person to use on board video, over clock and take advantage of the SSD cache feature.
Ohh okk. Thanks for that sir.
Old September 29, 2011, 04:55 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

No worries, and welcome aboard There is more to them than that, those are just the biggest features people look for. This one is a decently priced mid range board NCIX.com - Buy ASUS P8Z68-V LE Z68 LGA1155 ATX DDR3 2PCI-E16 2PCI-E1 3PCI SATA3 Audio Video Motherboard - ASUS - P8Z68-V LE - in Canada and likely will do everything you want it to do.

In the end it boils down to what features you want that you are willing to pay for.
The oath to serve your country did not include a contract for normal luxury, and comforts enjoyed within our society. On the contrary it implies hardships, loyalty and devotion to duty, regardless of rank
Old September 29, 2011, 05:00 PM
MVP

My System Specs

As far as power supply choices, there is many of them, the coolermaster ones are decent, the antect TP new 650 is actually a very decent power supply, myself I use a corsair HX750 and it works very very well. Another you can choose if you can find it is coolermaster real power pro 750w, both the HX750(silver efficeny) and cooler master RP pro are able to push in the 900w range fully loaded, there are many to choose from there really is, but based on cost/power/safety my 3 choices would be HX750, TP New 650, Real Power Pro 750, all will have ample power to drive pretty much everything including dual midrange cards(such as 2x 560Ti, 2x 6870 or 2x 6950, I would not go any higher then the 560Ti as overclocked by you or factory they can draw a fair amount of power) or a single X2 style card.
Old September 29, 2011, 05:20 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

With all your help, i think i finally decided to buy all the parts.

Here are the parts:

Asus p8z68-v pro (changed to p8z68-v) - $179.99
Intel i5 2500k - $219.99 with free sony optiarc 24x dvd burner from newegg
Corsair h80 - $93
AX750 (changed to hx750) - $139.99
Patriot 8gb (2x4gb) 240-pin ddr3 1600 - $52.99
Sony dvd burner - free
Crucial 64gb ssd (for boot drive only) - $109.99
Western Digital 1tb 7200rpm (for storage) - $89.99
MSI geforce gtx 560 ti (ill sli when i get extra money) - $244.99

And for the case, im still not sure if i will get the nzxt phantom or haf x.

If you guys have some extra tips or suggestion to change my spec, let me know and i will change it. Cause i know you guys are expert. And ahmm once you said that my spec are perfect, i will buy them all right away so i can build it before 2nd week of october. (cause that is my birthday) :)

Last edited by feubarkada; September 29, 2011 at 06:44 PM.
Old September 29, 2011, 05:22 PM
MVP

My System Specs

The Z68 boards are the best way to go for overclocking and the extra features such as usb3 and such, Now ASUS Z68 boards are very good but there is many choices, basically in order of cost/features you have P8Z68-LX same but LE same but V same but V PRO, the best mix of performance and features is the P8Z68-V, the LX/LE skimp a little on features, and have read review where they have shotcoming the V and V PRO do not, the V only real change is the loss of 4 sata 6gb/s ports instead they give you 2 sata 6gb/s ports, there is still plenty of sata 2 ports and a slew of USB3 ports.

Now if you need more then 2 sata 6 ports, that is one thing, but generally save $20 from V to V PRO and lose 2 ports, not a shabby deal if you ask me.

Major thing I have read im multiple reviews of both the LE/LX is LE has some usb3 headers that the LX doesn't, different audio chips, and the heatsinks/caps are better on LE, however I have also read both of them seem to have some troubles setting smart responce and the like, as well both of them sometimes stutter(have trouble maintaining bandwidth or read/write to and from HDD/SDD)

CPU cooler is ok, but there are many other coolers that perform just as well as the H8 that in some cases are also less cost and no worries about pump failure and such
Caviar black 640gb are plenty fast, caviar blue 1tb sata 6 are as if not slightly fast for most loads except constant read/write, fastest mechanical drives as is are the Velociraptor, caviar black 1.5TB and Caviar black 2tb, myself I am using dual caviar black 640 partitioned/shortstroked with paging files on both drives with windows 7 home premium 64bit I also have a caviar blue 1tb as a junk drive, and even though the caviar blue 1tb is hooked E-sata it is almost as fast as my other 2 drives.

To each thier own in their choices, however if you want to get the most out of the cpu and hard drives it pays to read some reviews to see what kind of problems/quirks are of the choices you will be making in the parts you plan on getting.

Also just to say it XFX has some Radeon 6950 XXX 1gb and 2gb models that overclock very well, cool exceptionally well(dual fan versions) and for the most part outperform a 560Ti, but to each thier own.

GL
Old September 29, 2011, 05:27 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I am definitely no expert. Case choice is totally personal preference, having said that I really like the HAF cases. Though nothing wrong with the NZXT Phantom. Nothing wrong with the rest of your choices from my point of view.

I would consider taking advantage of the ssd caching ability of the Z68 boards, but that is totally up to you.
Old September 29, 2011, 06:06 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Ok! So i changed my mobo from v pro to V, and for hdd which one do you recommend? I just need 1tb that can install the games and some files. The western digital 1tb is like $80 and that is kind of expensive, and for cpu cooler i cant find any better than h80. If you know something that is cheaper pls tell me. Cause i also want to save some bucks for my another gpu.

@perryc i think i am getting the nzxt now. Cause that looks sexy and cool. Thanks tho.