Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > LinusTechTips Q&A

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 28, 2011, 06:36 PM
Default Hard drive no longer detected - Any troubleshooting steps I've missed?

This is a question from Jogi6:

Quote:
Ok first sry for my bad English :)
Now to business, yesterday I've had a power shortage, and my pc shut down because I don't have ups.

After power came back I tried to power on my pc but my boot drive (1TB Seagate SATAII, 32MB 7200rpm) was not detected on power up.
So I entered my bios and in the first sata port where this drive should be was saying NOT DETECTED.

I tried to switch between sata cables and ports but I was getting same message NOT DETECTED. Next I started bootable cd windows xp with a tone of pc maintenance programs but my hard dive was not detected I suppose because my motherboard bios can't detect it either
So I tried Hiren's BootCD and some of programs started to detect this hard drive
I've had most success with Seagate seatools and after running an 8 hour scan I've only got a tone of file system errors.

So I was thinking that NTFS file system on my hard drive somehow collapsed and I decided to install Linux on my other empty hdd but Linux couldn't detect it either.
I was reading that u could manually add hdd with some code, but I'm not that skilled in Linux and I don't know how to do it, so any help would be appreciated.

I'm 99% sure my motherboard and it's sata ports are ok because I've had Linux installed, and then I installed windows 7 witch I'm using for 10 hours and it is stable for now.

So my question is. Is there something I didn't do, something I should try, any program, because all of my data is on that drive I have system partition of 195GB and in there are all of my photos documents .mp3 and some other important stuff. At this point my only interest is to recover that data.
As it turns out this hard drive is under warranty so tomorrow I'll be going to my retailer
But I'm not shure they will even try to recover my data; they will probably just give me new hard drive.

Thx in advance.
Honestly to me it looks like you've gone through pretty thoroughly, and other than hiring a data recovery service there may not be a way to get your data back..

I can tell you now that the retailer will not try any data recovery techniques. They will just RMA the dead drive back to the manufacturer and it will be lost for good.

Maybe someone else can think of something you haven't tried?

For faster (and official) NCIX service please contact our customer care team at www.NCIX.com (Canada) or www.NCIXUS.com (USA)

Heatware: http://heatware.com/eval.php?id=25647
Old September 28, 2011, 06:40 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I would try it out on another rig, to rule out the MB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old September 28, 2011, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supergrover View Post
I would try it out on another rig, to rule out the MB.
Maybe that's something the retailer can help with before they send it out?

For faster (and official) NCIX service please contact our customer care team at www.NCIX.com (Canada) or www.NCIXUS.com (USA)

Heatware: http://heatware.com/eval.php?id=25647
Old September 28, 2011, 06:48 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linus View Post
Maybe that's something the retailer can help with before they send it out?
I have a 1.5 WD here that would not detect on both a 790 and a 8200 chipset, hook it up to my intel bam data can be transferred ( it is all backed up elsewhere), he would want storage to trasfer to though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton