Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > LinusTechTips Q&A

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 28, 2011, 04:47 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

IF you have the time. Stick in it a freezer bag with some desiccant gel packs (more the better) for 48 hours. THEN throw the whole shebang in the freezer. Shouldnt be much moisture in the bag then. ;)

I personally never do it as Im impatient, but if Ben is that worried about condensation...etc etc. Then again I also connect it exteranlly in USB dock so that IF it does go pooof, it doesnt take the rig with it, only the USB add on card in the older testbed (ie rig that if it goes poof... it donna matter).

Either way, once you do it, the drive is toast. This really is the act of last resort....though maybe the hit it with a soft mallet trick should be consider the ABSOLUTE action of last resort. :P

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old September 28, 2011, 04:50 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazyups View Post
You could take this one step further and create a vaccuum in the bag, this will also help to reduce condensation and potential issues.

+1

I was thinking for those who are scared of the condensation element.... leave any sata, power, or usb cables attached and seal the bag (or whatever you're using) with the cables left simply hanging out. Then once it's out of the freezer just don't open the packaging. Maybe even set the drive in a container filled with ice cubes to keep it cool while trying to recover the data.
Old September 28, 2011, 05:22 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

HDs already have dessicant in them. I wouldn't worry about condensation at all.

I've only done it once but it did work....
Old September 28, 2011, 05:35 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I've done another 'trick' that I learned from an old hardware guru when I worked at the comp shop in my teen years that may help explain this;

Much like the bad nvidia chipsets soldering ROHS fiasco of about 4 (?) years ago, sometimes it seems it could be a heat/solder/pcb issue. We would take a can of compressed air, do the upsidedown method to chill the main chipset on the HDD off and get data off that way. This probably worked (guestimate) 70-80% of the time on freshly dead drives to get some or all of the data off. It could also explain the freezer method to some extent.

As to the condensation problem mentioned, arnt drives airtight/vacuumed? I always assumed they would be under a vacuum to help reduce friction/drag and spinup times.

Edit: Forgot my disclaimer;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old September 28, 2011, 06:33 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagath View Post
I've done another 'trick' that I learned from an old hardware guru when I worked at the comp shop in my teen years that may help explain this;

Much like the bad nvidia chipsets soldering ROHS fiasco of about 4 (?) years ago, sometimes it seems it could be a heat/solder/pcb issue. We would take a can of compressed air, do the upsidedown method to chill the main chipset on the HDD off and get data off that way. This probably worked (guestimate) 70-80% of the time on freshly dead drives to get some or all of the data off. It could also explain the freezer method to some extent.

As to the condensation problem mentioned, arnt drives airtight/vacuumed? I always assumed they would be under a vacuum to help reduce friction/drag and spinup times.

Edit: Forgot my disclaimer;

I actually have deep freeze spray for just that reason. It has a place in science , and anyone worth their weight and owning a rework station (I have two , both Hakko) knows to keep a can of that as it can help you sort out where the problem is.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old September 28, 2011, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagath View Post
Actually I don't think they are. They have air holes on them in order to equalize the air pressure inside/outside. Otherwise basic stuff like changing elevations would have a dramatic effect on drive functionality.

For faster (and official) NCIX service please contact our customer care team at www.NCIX.com (Canada) or www.NCIXUS.com (USA)

Heatware: http://heatware.com/eval.php?id=25647
Old September 28, 2011, 06:45 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Hard drives definitely aren't air tight. The label of every HDD states in one way or another not to cover any holes in its chassis.
Old September 28, 2011, 06:57 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killswitch View Post
Hard drives definitely aren't air tight. The label of every HDD states in one way or another not to cover any holes in its chassis.
You're right, I remember this label now. Guess Ive just been using SSD's too long.

I still stand by my Freeze the Chip methodology of fixing dead/dying hdd's tho!
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Old September 28, 2011, 07:09 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Lol, microsoft certified computer tech, and he claim that he know his job :P what's next? A+ is still valuable?

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old September 28, 2011, 07:24 PM
MVP

If all other available options have been expended and the drive is otherwise useless, I don't see the harm in trying. There's nothing to lose at that point.

However if the data was valuable enough to justify professional recovery fees, I would bypass this and any method of recovery that had the potential to make the issue worse.

I guess it may also have the *potential* -- although unlikely -- to void a warranty?

I believe it is professionally ethical to include relevant disclaimers, but there's no need to remove the video.