Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > LinusTechTips Q&A

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 28, 2011, 11:02 AM
Default Will overclocking my CPU improve my FPS?

This is a question from jamiegward1984:

Quote:
I know you probably don't have time to answer everyones questions but i'm just wondering, will overclocking my i7 increase my FPS while gaming in most cases? I've looked into it online and find mixed answers. i'm running it on the standard turbo mode atm which I assume is going to give more longevity in the long run. I can't figure out if overclocking is really worth it. Figured i'd ask you since your videos have really helped me alot, most recently the "How to apply thermal paste" video. I understand if you don't have the time to reply, take care.
The benfits vs risks of overclocking are an endless debate, so I won't go too far into that one since you've pretty much summarized it already.

As for your other question about how much your FPS will improve... That one depends on the rest of your system. If you have a very basic video card, then your i7 is probably feeding it more data than it can process already. If you have a beast video card, then it's possible your i7 is the limiting factor in your game performance. Maybe list out your specs so we can give you a more accurate answer?

For faster (and official) NCIX service please contact our customer care team at www.NCIX.com (Canada) or www.NCIXUS.com (USA)

Heatware: http://heatware.com/eval.php?id=25647
Old September 28, 2011, 11:38 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Depends on the game you play, some games are graphic heavy (most shooters for exemple), some are more CPU-requiring (RTS with a sh*tload of units, thinking about Civ5 right now).

All depend on what you're playing! More power won't hurt, but be cautious with overcloking, it can have your cpu degrading and dying faster if too much voltage or bad cooling.