Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > LinusTechTips Q&A

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 28, 2011, 01:11 AM
Default Security camera feeds over the internet

This is a question from vicfonov:

Quote:
hello, i find that you have a lot of useful security video help, what i would like to know if you can tell me what i would need to get for my situation.
i own an apartment complex and i already have few cameras, but i need to know how can i send a video signal through internet so i would be able to access the video from home.
my cameras are wired to one location, and i will have internet there as well.

thanks

I actually don't know too much about this. I believe there are many solutions out there, but most of them are proprietary and you need to buy all of the cameras and software from the same vendor.

There are some fairly rudimentary consumer grade solutions from D-Link and Trendnet for looking at the video feeds on your iPhone or similar device, but maybe a bit more detail about what you've already got set up will help the community find a solution for you.

For faster (and official) NCIX service please contact our customer care team at www.NCIX.com (Canada) or www.NCIXUS.com (USA)

Heatware: http://heatware.com/eval.php?id=25647
Old September 28, 2011, 11:22 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

wouldn't you only need to have access to the ip address of the cameras themselves so I would also think that if the cameras would have to be hooked up to a pc maybe this person has the security cameras hooks up to a VCR if that is the case they probably would have to update that .
Old September 28, 2011, 12:14 PM
Trial Member

thanks a lot linus.
this request is actually for me.
i am bulding new rental unit, and i will not be living in there, but i want to install few cameras for security reasons, and i would like to be able to access them from home because i will not be living at that location.
i still dont have dvr of any kind, but i will have internet there, so i will have access to send the signal.
on ebay there are setups that start around 200+, so i wanna get suggestion on what would be a decent set up for me with out with out spending way too much money.
i also want the signal to be secure so that the video would not be accessed by anyone unless authorized.
thanks guys.