Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > LinusTechTips Q&A

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 27, 2011, 02:54 PM
Default Buying an HD 6790 - How does overclocking affect temperatures and power consumption?

This is a question from bardhiRKS:

Quote:
I will buy a PC with XFX HD 6790 and im planing to OC it do i need to worry about temperature and energy consume?
how much will temp go? PLZ reply love ya
Whenever you're overclocking, temperatures and power consumption will go UP. With a mainstream graphics card like that, I wouldn't expect it to have a dramatic effect on the power consumption (maybe a few extra watts, but you won't need a way bigger PSU or anything).

Temperatures will definitely go up, but as long as you monitor them using MSI Afterburner and they stay lower than 80-85C under load, you should be okay.

For faster (and official) NCIX service please contact our customer care team at www.NCIX.com (Canada) or www.NCIXUS.com (USA)

Heatware: http://heatware.com/eval.php?id=25647