Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > LinusTechTips Q&A

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 27, 2011, 02:45 PM
Default Overclocked System Build With 2600K - Thinking about Liquid Cooling

This is a question from AndrewJ1981:

Quote:
hey man thanks for all the videos!
i have been watching them quite a bit but i'm still not informed enough to build myself a good gaming system. the problem is that i'm trying not to overspend, but i want a gaming system that will be able to run any game on its max settings. i don't care how the system looks, but i want it to have awesome cooling because my room tends to get pretty hot so i was thinking about liquid cooling, but then again, there are so many options for that that i'm very very confused!
i called your sales department and well, the guy kept having to check with a tech guy about my system build and i didnt feel too confident in his advice so i thought i'd ask you for some help.
i was looking at the vesta 5350OC which is a NCIX overclocked build.
i know it's overclocked at 4.0 GHZ, but i wanted a bit more juice out of there, and all the supporting hardware and cooling as well as case to support that. could you help me please?
this is what i initially built, but i'm not sure how well it will all go together and if you would recommend any changes there.

1 x Intel Core i7 2600K Quad Core HT Unlocked Processor Overclocked to 4.0GHZ - NCIXPC Vesta OC Only
1 x Coolit Systems Eco CPU Water Cooling System AUTO-REGULATED & Maintenance Free LGA1366/1156/1155/AM3
1 x Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3 ATX LGA1155 Z68 DDR3 1PCI-E16 3PCI-E1 2PCI HDMI SLI SATA3 USB3.0 Motherboard
2 x G.SKILL F3-14900CL9D-8GBSR Sniper SE 8GB 2X4GB DDR3-1866 CL9-10-9-28 1.5V Memory Kit
2 x EVGA GeForce GTX 580 DS Superclocked Fermi 797MHZ 1536MB GDDR5 2XDVI Mini-HDMI PCI-E Video Card
1 x Cooler Master Haf 932 Advanced Full Tower EATX Case 7X5.25 2X3.5 5X3.5INT USB3.0 eSATA 1394 Black
1 x Coolermaster Silent Pro 1000W Modular Power Supply SLI ATX12V 24PIN Active PFC PCI-E 135mm Fan
1 x Microsoft Windows 7 Professional Edition 64BIT DVD OEM
1 x Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB 64MB Cache 7200RPM 3.5IN SATA Internal Hard Drive OEM
1 x * Please Set The SSD AS Boot Drive - 60GB or Higher IS Recommended
1 x Corsair Force Series GT 120GB SSD SATA3 Solid State Disk 555MB/S Read Sandforce SF-2200
1 x LG GH24LS70 24X SATA Lightscribe Internal DVD Writer Burner DVDRW Optical Drive Black OEM
1 x LG BH12LS35 Blu-Ray Writer 12X BD-R 16X DVD+R Lightscribe 3D Ready SATA
1 x nGear Flash Card Reader 3.5IN Internal USB Black CF/SM/SDHC/MMC/MS/XD 18IN Cable
1 x Logitech G110 Gaming Keyboard USB Programmable Backlit Keys USB Audio
1 x Steelseries Ikari Laser Ergonomic Professional Gaming Mouse USB *IR-$6.99*
1 x Please Use The Onboard Sound Card Integrated On My Motherboard
1 x Intel PRO/1000 CT Desktop Gigabit Ethernet Network Adapter PCI Express NIC OEM
1 x PC Assembly and Testing With 1 Year Limited NCIX System Warranty (PRE-CONFIG WIN. OS If Purchased)

i would appreciate any help you can give!

thanks in advance!

Andrew
Right now you've got a very good looking build there. I don't see many things that I would change, but here are a couple of comments:

1. I would think long and hard about whether you want DS cards or external exhaust cards. The HAF 932 is a great case for cooling, but those 580s will output a lot of heat. Lots of consideration should be given to the way you want airflow to work for your system. If you decide to use the CoolIT Eco as an INTAKE (so you're not using recycled hot air to cool the CPU), then DS cards should work just fine and you can use a negative air pressure cooling approach. Just remember that it'll get dustier that way, so you should clean it out once in a while with a can of compressed air.

2. You don't really need an add-in NIC. The onboard NIC is also gigabit. That said, MMO games have been demonstrated to benefit from a dedicated NIC... Hard to say how much of it is smoke and mirrors though...

3. Personally I have a couple of brands that are higher on my list in terms of PSU recommendations. Corsair and Antec come to mind.

For faster (and official) NCIX service please contact our customer care team at www.NCIX.com (Canada) or www.NCIXUS.com (USA)

Heatware: http://heatware.com/eval.php?id=25647
Old September 27, 2011, 11:08 PM
Rookie

Thumbs up

Thank you very much for the reply Linus!

1. You are right, I do not want to have to clean the computer constantly! What combination of dual video cards, case (nothing too expensive but that will do the cooling job perfectly and not get too dusty) and cooling would you recommend?
Also, I don't necessarily want a full tower unless you think it's better for my build.

2. If the difference is negligible, the forget it. Thanks for saving me 30$! I don't really play MMO games, only shooters and simulators (cars, hawx 2, etc)

3. Which PSU would you recommend me that will handle my build and won't be too expensive?
Old September 28, 2011, 01:07 AM

1. Full tower is probably the way to go for a beast machine like this. My personal favourite cases right now unfortunately aren't that great for dual graphics cards... I'm partial to the 800D, 650D, Fractal Design Define XL (this one's probably not a bad bet actually...), and NZXT Phantom (I think it looks cool. Sue me.)

I know Crazy Russian did a dual 580 build in a Define XL a while back and he used external exhaust cards. Maybe that is not a bad route to go. That case supports the ECO just fine.

2. np. it's what I do ;)

3. Grab an AX850 or an AX1000. I know not everyone will agree with my recommendation. I can hear it now "850W is way too small it'll be inefficient under load", but the reality of it is that your machine will be idling 90% of the time it is powered on, and the bigger your PSU, the less efficient it is at idle.

Check out what happens to power consumption when I put in a 1500W PSU in this video. It's an extreme example, but I feel as long as you're buying a high quality unit that it's better to be at 80-85% use under load than it is to be idling at 5% use.

80 PLUS Gold Power Supply Efficiency (NCIX Tech Tips #60) - YouTube

For faster (and official) NCIX service please contact our customer care team at www.NCIX.com (Canada) or www.NCIXUS.com (USA)

Heatware: http://heatware.com/eval.php?id=25647
Old September 28, 2011, 01:55 AM
Rookie

Lightbulb

Thanks man and I'll def go with that PSU! I hate to annoy you with this so let's make 2 scenarios. My goal is to have a computer that will be able to smoothly run any current game at max settings. My best choice without going crazy (like triple sli) was dual 580s but I'm open to a single 590 if that'll do the job too!
So here are the 2 scenarios:

1: Dual 580
Best choice is:
Case: Define XL?
Cooling: What's in my original build or do I need more (fans, noctua, etc.)?
Video cards: The 2 EVGA DS CARDS?

2: Single 590
Best choice is:
Case: 650D, 800D or Phantom?
Cooling: What's in my original build or do I need more (fans, noctua, etc.)?
Video cards: Which 590 card would you recommend and would it need cooling too?

Sorry for all the questions, take your time and let me know what you would personally chose if you could fill in my 2 scenarios please:)
Old September 28, 2011, 07:52 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

In my opinion I would ditch is 580 DS cards and go with the regular style cards that vent out the back properly.

I would also prefer to have 2 580 cards vs one 590 as it would lead to easier troubleshooting in my opinion.

You could probably stuff all that system into a mid size case but you'll hate ever having to work on the system. A full size tower will make life easier.

Those PSUs Linus recommended are very very nice and I'd rather go with them (and I do.....) over the Coolermaster any day....

I would ditch the DVD burner and just stay with the single Bluray optical drive, then put the $20 to $30 you save on the DVD optical drive and put it towards another 8gb of RAM for a total of 16 (RAM is cheap and if you ever run out it makes your system slow, so it's cheap insurance. Some people will agree and others will disagree with this suggestion)
Old September 28, 2011, 09:30 PM
Rookie

Thanks Perinium!
Def gonna keep your advice in mind but the system already has 16GB of ram!
Linus, any help on those 2 scenarios?