Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > LinusTechTips Q&A

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 27, 2011, 02:05 PM
Default Best CPU Cooler for Core i7 960

This is a question from SamPerrin:

Quote:
Hi,

Just watching through your videos of heatsinks and coolers, what do you think the best air cooler is?

Looking for anything up to around £80?

Will be for an i7-960 1366 socket.
In a Lan Boy Air case.

Im looking on Thermalright Ultimate CPU Cooling Solutions! USA at the moment...

Hope you can help!

Cheers
Sam
I'm partial to the Nocta NH-D14 right now, but the Cogage Arrow and Thermalright Silver Arrow (same design, just different finish on the metal) are known to perform at/near the same level. Ifyou want the best performance possible without going custom water cooling right now though, I would take the Corsair H100.

The stock performance numbers don't look great, but when you ramp up the voltages/overclock it will start to pull away from other coolers.

I honestly don't know if it'll fit in a LANboy Air though. Maybe someone else knows?

For faster (and official) NCIX service please contact our customer care team at www.NCIX.com (Canada) or www.NCIXUS.com (USA)

Heatware: http://heatware.com/eval.php?id=25647
Old September 27, 2011, 02:58 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linus View Post
I'm partial to the Nocta NH-D14 right now, but the Cogage Arrow and Thermalright Silver Arrow (same design, just different finish on the metal) are known to perform at/near the same level. Ifyou want the best performance possible without going custom water cooling right now though, I would take the Corsair H100.
Can't remember the link, but I recall seeing a review where the Silver Arrow runs into heatpipe saturation issues well before the NH-D14 does. It makes sense though, considering the Silver Arrow has 4x8mm heatpipes whereas the Noctua has 6x6mm. Although this would only happen in a worst case scenario, (ie. a fan failure or a suicide OC) I would go for the Noctua as long as you don't mind the aesthetics. But do keep in mind the TY-140 stock fans are known to have better noise/performance than the NF-P14/NF-P12. IIRC AKG found some turbulence noise issues with the P14/P12 combo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linus View Post
I honestly don't know if it'll fit in a LANboy Air though. Maybe someone else knows?
Bill Owen from MNPCTech did a fairly thorough review of the Lanboy and found horrible clearance issues when you installed fans in all available slots. (most notably the top fans where you'd probably want to put a radiator) I highly doubt you'd be able to do any kind of watercooling in that case without major modification.
Old September 27, 2011, 07:14 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I'm using the H100 on my i7 920 @ 4.2ghz, never rise over 50C's
Old September 27, 2011, 08:19 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

IS that at load and also on prime and or linx? 50 degrees????? That is pretty damn good.
Old September 27, 2011, 08:32 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

That's load under a good game of Civ 5, which used to take my CPU in the 60's when I was using my Venomous-X

I'd have to push it @ 100% sometimes...

Last edited by Lamb; September 27, 2011 at 08:40 PM.
Old September 28, 2011, 07:24 AM
Trial Member

Linus, thanks for creating the thread.

Thanks all for the suggestions too, I haven't mounted any of my new parts in the case yet so I cant say how much space I will have available.

I will be looking at doing some watercooling later on.

Would you say its worth getting the motherboard in etc and seeing how much clearance I have and come back to you guys?
I'm liking the look of the NH-D14
Old September 28, 2011, 07:52 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Ive you'd like to avoid buyers remorse that's probably the best route to go. You'll need the motherboard anyways, and worst case scenario is you run the stock heat sink until you've finalized your decision and know what type of clearance you have to work with.