Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   iPhone & iPods (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/iphone-ipods/)
-   -   Outraged, scammed by Best Buy? (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/iphone-ipods/58232-outraged-scammed-best-buy.html)

PcWizTech December 1, 2012 11:30 AM

Outraged, scammed by Best Buy?

Hello everyone, Recently (about an hour), I attended a Christmas sale at my local store. Something interesting, yet aggravating, was brought up to my attention. Before i get to that, i have to put in some background information. I'm a high school student and I got selected for Leadership training in NY about a month ago (almost one month exact). During my stay, I went to a best buy and purchased myself an iPad. This was advertised as "latest model" and on a separate paper "the new iPad". I didn't go to NY with hopes of buying an iPad, but after seeing the 18 months no interest policy of Best Buy, I decided to purchase one (my parents tagged along). Please note, however, that I am purchasing this with my own money. This is probably why this "news" affected me so much. After purchasing the iPad I was told by an employee to enjoy the newest iPad, and during the purchase, I was confirmed it was the latest model. This purchase was around November 5-6th. Now to the current setting (December 1st). I was at the local store seeing if they had any good deals. A buddy of mine came up to me and told me about the fourth iPad. I stood there and tried to tell him that there was no "4th iPad". He proved me wrong. And here i am shocked. I was sold an iPad 3rd generation, advertised as newest and latest model, and lied to. It bothers me so much that i was lied to so easily. I don't know what to do. Sure, i'm happy i have an iPad, that is not the issue, but im frustrated that i was simply lied to. I was wondering what i should do? I usually never overlook these things. I stay on top of Keynotes, rumors, pictures, all that stuff. Please also acknowledge that I'm an apple fan, not a "hater". I'm only a High School student, and i work very hard for this money, only to figure out that I've been lied to.

------
Extra Details: This is what makes me so curious and suspicious: If i go to the apple store to compare models, i see the following: iPad iPad 2 iPad with Retina Display Yet, the iPad 3rd generation has retina display. No iPad 3 listed in compare models
------
Also, I know that its not a revamp of the iPad, please don't tell me that, but the features that it has is something I'd like to have. I mean, i just bough this thing :(

enaberif December 1, 2012 11:35 AM

I would say at the time it was the latest and greatest. As you can see below the 4th iPad came out November 2nd.

1st generation:
April 3, 2010 (Wi-Fi)[2][3]
April 30, 2010 (Wi-Fi + 3G)[4]
May 28, 2010 (International)
iPad 2:
March 11, 2011 (United States)
March 25, 2011 (International)
3rd generation:
March 16, 2012
4th generation and Mini:
November 2, 2012

PcWizTech December 1, 2012 11:39 AM

But i bought it on Nov 5-10th?

lowfat December 1, 2012 11:49 AM

There is a good chance that retailers did not have stock of the 4th revision iPad at the time of your purchase. Retailers generally lag behind Apples stores by a couple of weeks. But I have a hard time believing that the employee didn't know that the newest revision was coming to their stores ASAP. Sounds to me like they just lied to you to get rid of their stock. Unfortunately I doubt there is much you could do about it now either. Their return policy is 2 weeks AFAIK. It sucks but such is life. :sad:

PcWizTech December 1, 2012 11:59 AM

I'm living overseas so i believe i have extra time. If i do, I'll return it. But in the mean time ive sent a message to best buy explaining the situation. Although its rare, i hope i get an actual reply and not the generic reply.

KaptCrunch December 1, 2012 12:17 PM

not the ole switch n bate scam..........sells person pawned you by switching thier old 3v for the 4v is another thought

life just get harder when trust is broken

PcWizTech December 1, 2012 12:19 PM

I mean here i am, a high school student, trying to buy an iPad with money I'm working REALLY hard for. And yes, a lot is going for college/future savings. But why lie to me. It bothers me so much how some people can be so heartless :/

Arinoth December 1, 2012 12:33 PM

This is one of the reasons you should try to be an informed buyer, do your research before going to such places so that this doesn't happen. You are though stuck with your item as you're outside the return period with Best Buy unfortunately.

PcWizTech December 1, 2012 12:36 PM

As stated above, I'm "not" outside my return period. I live overseas and i dont know if thats the reason for it, but i have an extended return period. So im not stuck with the product.

Arinoth December 1, 2012 12:40 PM

Edit: I just looked it up, it's not an overseas thing, it's the christmas return policy, they extend it for most of november and december incase you buy that special certain the wrong gift.

Quote:

We'll gladly give you a refund, exchange or price adjustment on your purchases made on or after November 2nd, until January 6th 2013, however, this extended holiday return policy does not apply to cellular/wireless devices. For any returns, exchanges or price adjustments, your original receipt is required. A store credit will be issued for any gift receipt returns.
When you do return it, ask for a Manager to make/file a complaint about the misinformation you were fed.