What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

New Apple iPhone 5 (Rumors and Thoughts)

JJThomp

Here is a little breakdown on Apple Vs. Android
Android
- Android is faster with newer tech for the same price as Apple's older tech
- Anything you could think of doing on your android phone you can do it, android is meant to be flexible so you can use it the way you want
- New androids have better screens although i hear samsung is making them for the iphone 5 so they could be OLED but apparently Apple doesn't want OLED
- can be confusing if you don't take the time to learn to use it since there are so many options
Apple
- IPS screens good but not the best
- Slower processors, less RAM
- Not very customizable, they want you to use your phone a specific way and that is the only way it can be done
- Easier to use because you don't have to think to do things on it or streamline your experience because it can't be done

The new iPhone will not have a quad core processor or it will have a quadcore that actually runs slower than samsungs SIII so it will be a marketing stunt. The technology just isn't there to make them run cool enough. Case and point there isn't a faster processor that they could put in a phone without it getting over 100 degrees (the tegra 3 is close but not quite there yet).

The new iPhone is supposed to have OLED but really who knows

LTE just ruins your battery life and at this point is a marketing ploy, if iPhones have this it will be disastrous for them unless they have come up with a miracle battery at the same time which you would have heard about the technology because Apple doesnt make them.

New connector = pain in the ass and won't have any benefits because data transfer is largely held back by the use of USB (and thunderbolt doesn't supply energy to a device so if they make it thunderbolt compatible that will be something else you need to buy and chances are you don't have a thunderbolt port anyways).

Liquidmetal technology sounds great however it is not as indestructible or scratch proof as they say it literally defies the laws of the universe and who cars if the case stays intact because your screen is going to shatter long before that anyways... I would be impressed if they had replaceable batteries which if they use liquidmetal they wont be able to.

16:9 aspect ratio is pretty much standard the only thing that would impress me would be like a 1600x900 resolution which they don't have the compatible hardware for anyways so I am doubting that.

The rumours are all pretty silly at this point, none of them are really upgrades except for the aspect ratio. The best Apple could do would be to build an SIII and slap IOS6 on it. They could make the screen size a little smaller for a little better pixel density but they are using samsung displays so it isn't like they can do anything that samsung can't.

By the time iPhone5 is released samsung will be announcing their new 1.7 ghz dual cores in their phones or LG/ motorola will have put in a Tegra 3 processor and it will be behind already. The way Apple brings products to the market is really just inferior to their competition but they make up for it by spending a ton in advertising and paying off people doing reveiws.

All that being said I'm sure the iPhone 5 will be a good product but it will be slower, more expensive and less servicable than newer android phones before it is even released.

Ibekrazy6988

Nice!
Thanks JJThomp and everyone else (incluiding DrunkMeta!! LOL) These are the sorts of debates and conversations I was looking for.
I know what we've heard are all rumours and I am anxious to hear the definitive details rather then all the speculation.

What kills me most, is how quickly all these companies have new products coming out.
You just can't stay on top of any of them!!!

They say there are the APPLE LOVERS and then there is EVERYONE ELSE.

And I myself have been a long time Blackberry User - So I have no real opinion on either (except for the Blackberry) which as we all know is much father behind in technology then everyone else. It would be awesome if they came back with a huge surprise and surpassed everyone else. Thats highly unlikely. Hahaha. The Blackberry 10 is slated to come out as well, and it is not getting very good reviews already either attached to its failling Upper Management and Bombing Stocks.

So truly, there are no real iPhone lovers/users out there in the Hardware Canucks Family to Argue these statements so far??!

JJThomp

Nice!
So truly, there are no real iPhone lovers/users out there in the Hardware Canucks Family to Argue these statements so far??!

Apple doesnt get much love on tech forums because they sue all the companies we buy our devices from in an attempt to smother competition. Competition is good for the consumer and Apple truly does not have the consumers best interest at heart (as a company they have a 40% profit margin and they are pretty much the only ones that buy their software so most of that comes from overpricing hardware and probably royalties from App purchases).

Most people on this forum are interested in performance and flexibility and Apple just does not provide that for us.

Also for overclockers you can overclock your android phone to make it run faster and rooting your phone is simple (equivalent to jailbreaking except again offers more options than jailbreaking does) it's almost like the phones are made to be rooted and messed around with.

TL;dr enthusiasts buy products that were made with enthusiasts in mind whereas iPhones are made with teenage girls in mind (not that this is a bad thing just not this forums cup of tea).

Skyllz

I have 2 3GS and a iPad at home, they run good, require no maintenance, never had a bug since day 1. I'm not sold on apple but for my wife, it's the easiest to use of them all. I dont need to tech her how to use it or do this and that. It's all easy. This is why I like those iProducts.

Once our contract is up with Rogers next spring I will see what is out there, I like the Samsungs layout and they seem to run good, tempting... We will see what time brings us.

Arinoth

Staff member
You forgot to mention that android phones on average tend to use a gorilla glass which makes them a lot more resilient incase they are dropped, whereas Apple uses some variant of glass which tend to go more often then not when dropped at the same height as an android phone.

Ibekrazy6988

I get the easy part of Apple products - my mother, not the most tech-savvy person out there uses both the 4S and the iPad2. And its great for her as well as more local family members.

I'm quite okay and capable with the techy and the learning of it all, Andriod. And I've done a lot of research on the Androids. They most definitely sound promising!
Really its hard to really compare the products truly until they release the iPhone 5. Although, I'm sure it's all hype.

But, sadly. My decision may be made based on convenience in the end. As my mother lives out of country and the imessage and face-time may better suit our needs - because Rogers has the WORST and EXPENSIVE - Canada to USA - Texting and Calling Plans. lol.

But in the end - I really and truly wanted a bunch of different intelligent peoples opinions on the iPhone (and the Andriod).
My minds not 100% made yet!

So, I thank you!~

nige

The new BlackBerry phones should be out in a few months if you can hold off. They are looking to be really nice phones with a good OS and I will probably pick up the qwerty model when it's available. My brother was a long time BB user and is now on the Galaxy S3 and it is a really nice gadget. He also had a 9800 and seems to like the S3 but he says it isn't a flawless performer either. I thought it's a bit big for a phone. It really depends on what you want to do with your phone. I am still very much hooked on BB for email. I don't play games or use it as an MP3 player, but I do surf the web and watch the odd youtube video and for the most part, my 9790 BB does the trick. I had an iPhone 4 and got rid of it after about 7 months because I couldn't get over the huge onscreen keyboard. Those iPhones are great for consumption, but I find myself talking and typing more with my phone so I went back to BB. The Androids seem like a nice fit in between with more ability for customization and more choice of applications than BB.

As mentioned in here before, don't hold phone reviews with too much regard. A lot of the sites like BGR and Engadget seem to favor certain brands and everyone is taking a kick a BlackBerry while they are down for the moment. Best thing is to into the store, play with each phone as much as possible and do your research. I find a lot of people buy a phone expecting it to be able to do something and then get pissy when they find out it doesn't.

great_big_abyss

My girlfriend and I recently switched from BlackBerrys to Iphone4 (her) and SGS2LTE (Me). I will say that my blackberry Bold was waay better for typing than my 'droid. Everything else, though, the new Galaxy is vastly superior. I LOVE the screen real estate. I actually watch a lot of Youtube on my phone (more than I do on my PC these days). Surfing the web and doing online tasks (such as banking) is a lot easier since I have more screen real estate and a faster connection. Typing is one of the shortfalls though. I use Swype (just slide your finger from letter to letter instead of 'typing') and while it is very neat, the 'smart' word recognition is kind of a pain in the ass. But still, it's better than 'thumbing' on a touch screen.

Overall though, the bigger screen more than makes up for any typing shortfall.

JJThomp

I get the easy part of Apple products - my mother, not the most tech-savvy person out there uses both the 4S and the iPad2. And its great for her as well as more local family members.

I'm quite okay and capable with the techy and the learning of it all, Andriod. And I've done a lot of research on the Androids. They most definitely sound promising!
Really its hard to really compare the products truly until they release the iPhone 5. Although, I'm sure it's all hype.

But, sadly. My decision may be made based on convenience in the end. As my mother lives out of country and the imessage and face-time may better suit our needs - because Rogers has the WORST and EXPENSIVE - Canada to USA - Texting and Calling Plans. lol.

But in the end - I really and truly wanted a bunch of different intelligent peoples opinions on the iPhone (and the Andriod).
My minds not 100% made yet!

So, I thank you!~

You can just download the Skype App for android and talk that way... Whenever I am out working that is how I talk to my girlfriend. She goes on the computer and I use my phone (phone to phone also works she just has a blackberry torch).

Arinoth

Staff member
You can just download the Skype App for android and talk that way... Whenever I am out working that is how I talk to my girlfriend. She goes on the computer and I use my phone (phone to phone also works she just has a blackberry torch).

I was just going to mention that he could use skype. Really the only "smart" device out there that doesn't have Skype (to my knowledge) is the Blackberry Playbook, all other smart devices, phones (touch ones anyways) and tablets can use it. Plus its free AND you can use it as an instant messenger or voice chat rather then just video chat.