Go Back   Hardware Canucks > Mac, iPhone & iPod > iPhone & iPods

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 17, 2012, 08:54 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

While the Playbook does have a built-in video chat feature, it is not compatible with Skype; only other Playbook users. As far as I know, there is no video or voip support for Skype from BlackBerry at the moment. There are 3rd party applications that allow you to IM via Skype, but no native Skype app right now. If there is a web version of Skype coming out soon, the BB10 and Playbook should be able to use them.
Old August 17, 2012, 01:40 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

So here's my opinion on it. Take it for what it's worth.

I just want my phones to work. iPhone does that for me. It's easy to use, and has never caused me problems aside from general wear and tear.

I understand both sides of the argument, and am not an Apple fan boy by any means, nor am I an Android hater. That being said, I find that for myself, a lot of what Apple does with regards to their tech makes sense. You can argue the whole user should be able to do what they want with their hardware, but at the same time, you can argue that the experience should be controlled by the developer. Both make sense to me, and I understand the gripes that people have with both.

Yes, the 4/4S is technologically inferior to say, a new flagship phone such as the new S3, yet when I compare my original iPhone 4 to other newer phones out there (read: Android) I can't help but get the feeling that mine, despite being older, and technologically inferior, works better. I bought my 4 on release day something like 2 years ago. It still works as solidly as the day I bought it.

I've played with my cousin's Galaxy Note, and their other Android phones and I don't know. It just feels...not quite optimized? Maybe that's the benefit of Apple being able to optimize their OS with their hardware? I don't know. I will say though that Apple could learn a couple things from Android, but who needs more lawsuits lol.

That being said, if you want to play with your phone like you do with your PC (not at all surprising considering the forums here) then Android is probably the way to go. I for one, don't want to do that. That's what my PC is for. I don't want to root my phone to get it the way I want it. I suppose you could always jailbreak your phone.

Also have to consider that my family is tied to the iPhone and other Apple products like Apple TV, iPad etc. So in some ways switching ecosystems is a costly endeavour.

People will always crap on Apple products because in their eyes they are overpriced, and limit what they perceive to be the user experience. You can make the choice for yourself, but what shouldn't be the deciding factor is a sense of technological elitism. Is it such a bad thing that my 72 year old dad can make full use of his iPad, and absolutely love it, because he understands how it works? I can't even believe that is an argument against Apple. Make an informed choice, just don't be a snob about it (goes both ways for Apple/Android products).
Old August 17, 2012, 03:25 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Yep at the end of the day different strokes for different folks, decide which one you like best and go for it. I can tell you that if you have never used an Apple product you definately wont be disappointed with Android and vice versa.
Old August 21, 2012, 03:22 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraman7k View Post
So here's my opinion on it. Take it for what it's worth.

I just want my phones to work. iPhone does that for me. It's easy to use, and has never caused me problems aside from general wear and tear.

I understand both sides of the argument, and am not an Apple fan boy by any means, nor am I an Android hater. That being said, I find that for myself, a lot of what Apple does with regards to their tech makes sense. You can argue the whole user should be able to do what they want with their hardware, but at the same time, you can argue that the experience should be controlled by the developer. Both make sense to me, and I understand the gripes that people have with both.

Yes, the 4/4S is technologically inferior to say, a new flagship phone such as the new S3, yet when I compare my original iPhone 4 to other newer phones out there (read: Android) I can't help but get the feeling that mine, despite being older, and technologically inferior, works better. I bought my 4 on release day something like 2 years ago. It still works as solidly as the day I bought it.

I've played with my cousin's Galaxy Note, and their other Android phones and I don't know. It just feels...not quite optimized? Maybe that's the benefit of Apple being able to optimize their OS with their hardware? I don't know. I will say though that Apple could learn a couple things from Android, but who needs more lawsuits lol.

That being said, if you want to play with your phone like you do with your PC (not at all surprising considering the forums here) then Android is probably the way to go. I for one, don't want to do that. That's what my PC is for. I don't want to root my phone to get it the way I want it. I suppose you could always jailbreak your phone.

Also have to consider that my family is tied to the iPhone and other Apple products like Apple TV, iPad etc. So in some ways switching ecosystems is a costly endeavour.

People will always crap on Apple products because in their eyes they are overpriced, and limit what they perceive to be the user experience. You can make the choice for yourself, but what shouldn't be the deciding factor is a sense of technological elitism. Is it such a bad thing that my 72 year old dad can make full use of his iPad, and absolutely love it, because he understands how it works? I can't even believe that is an argument against Apple. Make an informed choice, just don't be a snob about it (goes both ways for Apple/Android products).
Seriously, thank you. I would never buy a mac for various reasons but all I really want my phone to do is make calls, email, messaging, browser, and a handful of apps. I also generally keep my phones until they die. I'm over 3 years on my 3gs and I'm still getting software updates.

A big bonus is that the integration with the iphone in my car is just light years ahead of any android integration available. None of the major car audio companies support android to any great extent.
Old August 21, 2012, 03:29 PM
Hall Of Fame

You serious? Android is not complicated or hard to use at all. In fact it's simpler to do things than a iphone.
Old August 21, 2012, 03:45 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
You serious? Android is not complicated or hard to use at all. In fact it's simpler to do things than a iphone.
+1 Dido, you be right my man, Android is far similar and if you buy a high end S3 you will see a far better experience and happy customer, I have had the 3g,3gs,4 and 4s honestly good apps and good email experience plus a hwc app is ok haha but call quality is total crap and using the internet you convince yourself its good. the S3 is amazing :D

Android is a great OS
Contests will be done on there from now on :)
http://realhardwarereviews.com/
Always up for a Beer in Calgary or Area

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”
Old August 21, 2012, 04:26 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

Quote:
It's definitely not easier to use in my car. I have voice command through my nav, can search by title, artist, album, genre, have album art, and more. I have yet to see any major car audio company support android to any useful degree. I can't have a phone on me at work and at home I have a desktop and a land line so a lot of my usage is while driving. I get to dink around with a lot of phones and while the high end androids are just fine to use the in car integration is miles behind and will probably never catch up unless there's more standardization.
Old August 21, 2012, 04:34 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by rommelrommel View Post
It's definitely not easier to use in my car. I have voice command through my nav, can search by title, artist, album, genre, have album art, and more. I have yet to see any major car audio company support android to any useful degree. I can't have a phone on me at work and at home I have a desktop and a land line so a lot of my usage is while driving. I get to dink around with a lot of phones and while the high end androids are just fine to use the in car integration is miles behind and will probably never catch up unless there's more standardization.
This has nothing to do with Android but more with manufacturers CHOOSING to go with Apple as at one point in time they had the market share by a long shot.

If car people went with Android things would be a fair playing ground but it has to be one or the other.
Old August 21, 2012, 06:53 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
This has nothing to do with Android but more with manufacturers CHOOSING to go with Apple as at one point in time they had the market share by a long shot.

If car people went with Android things would be a fair playing ground but it has to be one or the other.
Hi Microsoft, meet Linux.
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old August 21, 2012, 09:20 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

Quote:

It's a small market but they've repeatedly said that the lack of standarization is why android doesn't get support. Much easier to say works with ipod/iphone rather than works with Model A, B, C, and D android, may or may not work on others.

Anyways we can argue what if all day but it doesn't change the fact that android has no support in car audio (and very little demand it seems, or you would think one of the majors with poor/no ipod support would have supported android to try and get that market.)