What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

jailbreak iOS5 -> What do you think?

Mistertuxedopants

Hello HWC's

So I watched a video on the features of jailbreaking iOS5. It looks great. I want to get a few member opinions on this. Also does anybody know what and where the best Jailbreak software is for this? I have an iPhone4

Thanks!
MTP

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
Dev-Team Blog

That is the best place for all your JB needs. iClarified.com has easy walkthroughs for those not in the know, but the newest version of redsn0w is pritty idiot proof. Also, be aware that the current iOS 5 jailbreaks are tethered jailbreaks; so if your phone dies or you power it off you'll have to 'just boot tethered' it to boot it and get your jailbroken stuff to work.

Mine is jailbroken. No issues. Love it, etc, etc.

Mistertuxedopants

i have been looking into the redsn0w. it looks great. I don't like that it has to be tethered to boot. Do you know when the untethered version is coming out.

Also, what are some good apps that i should get?

Thanks!
MTP

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
There is a semi-tethered jailbreak out, but it has some known bugs. It'll allow you to use your phone if it reboots or the battery dies atleast, anyways. Its up on the bigboss homepage with directions on how to do it (you have to jailbreak first, then run his repo or some such. I havnt looked hard in to it.)

There is simply a tonne of apps out there, and much like the andoid market, really too many good ones to list. My favorite jailbroken app is SBSettings bar none, and for new skins/themes, Winterboard plus whatever theme you like.

Mistertuxedopants

Are all the apps free on cydia, or do some cost money? Also is it safe to purchace apps off cydia if that is Necessary.

Last edited:

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
Some are free, some cost money. Ive never heard of problems with Cydia purchases.

Mistertuxedopants

awesome. thanks for your help

One more thing. Since u have jailbroken your phone. Are u checked out siri for iphone4?

Cheers!

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
As it stands right now, Siri is not available for non '4s' phones without piracy/legal issues. Thats not to say it cannot be done...But I like my account here at HWC, so that is all I'll say ;)

Spikemaul

I might jailbreak my iPhone 4 this weekend to see what it's like. Has anyone noticed a "slow down" in their phone after jaibreaking? Is there any way to back up Cydia purchases?

lowfat

Staff member
Is there any way to back up Cydia purchases?

PKGBackup. It backs up everything to Dropbox. I just had to restore my iPad recently and it saved me a huge amount of time as it was the only application I needed to download from Cydia. Ran it then bam ever Cydia application and setting was restored.