What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

iOS 5 Release

bigFOIG

http://www.apple.com/ios/features.htm

Anyone get around to updating yet? Though there's been so many problems to getting this update. Apple's servers were getting overloaded because of the worldwide simultaneous downloads and people were getting estimated times of a month for a 700mb file. And stupid things like "error 3002" and "error 3200". So what do you guys think of the new OS? And did you have any problems updating?

dandelioneater

Yeah i updated one of our ipad 2's updated with ios 5 here at work on wednesday. It took me about 5 tries to get it to go due to the servers being messed up. Kept getting error 3200. Im currently updating another ipad and the server issues seems to have been cleared up. I haven't spent much time with it but, the new swiping gesture to cycle between your apps that are open is kinda nice.

lowfat

Staff member
My iPods are all too old it seems. Not going to update my iPad since there is no jailbreak available for iOS and it.

chrisk

Folding Captain
I got the 3200 error too. Got through it. My music was gone after the update though. No biggie just copy again. Only other issue I noticed was that when I was using safari to type on the HWC forum earlier, the keyboard lagged big time (ie. I would press a letter, and it would not register the letter for a second or two).

Otherwise, seems like a decent update. I'd love to try Siri though. Might have to wait on that one as its only for the 4S.

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
I'm still on 4.3.3 here. All the new 'features' that 5.0 has were currently available via jailbreak apps, so I didn't bother upgrading. I jailbroke my buddies 4g on 5.0 and fiddled with it. The new notification system is much better then the one they had before, and the iphone version of bbm works very well. The downside to the bbm is that you both must be on 5.0.

In the end, its fine for the average iphone user, but you can do a lot more with this phone jailbroken then on 5.0. Err I mean 'with a custom ROM' in android speak ;)

ccm001

I updated my iphone4 on the 13th, waited for some of the initial server load to die down. I had no problems per se, but it hung on "restoring iphone apps" for a very long time (close to an hour) and I started to worry, but it went through. The only things I lost were a couple of custom ringtones I had made. I'll just have to redo them.

Overall i like the update. ALthough when I tried to do an icloud backup of my phone it estimated it was going to take 6 hours, so I just did it the regular way through the computer.

Latest posts