Go Back   Hardware Canucks > Mac, iPhone & iPod > iPhone & iPods

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 5, 2011, 04:41 AM
Allstar

Default Iphone 4s

I am not dissappointed at all. I love the look of the iphone and it's very impressive specs when you consider the user consumption is identical to the single core processor. Nice camera as well.

But...the big butt

ARE THEY NUTS ABOUT THE PRICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

$649 !!. Luckily I sold mine recently for $430 but I'm still going to have to dish out $300.00.

Yes, I'll still buying it

Apple (Canada) - iPhone - Compare
Attached Images

CHEERS
Old October 5, 2011, 05:18 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

I'll be able to get it for $200 by renewing my contract so i most likely will get one, and give my iPhone 4 to the wife (who wants an iPhone).

She may then sell her Samsung Galaxy S.

The dual core processor does not seem like a big deal yet as the current iPhone does not lag for me at all. I like the upgraded antennas and maybe the camera (once I see it in the real world). The extra megapixels don't interest me, but Apple promises better low-light performance. As it is, the iPhone camera takes better pictures than my wife's Galaxy S, so I am hoping the camera promises are kept.

Other than that, this phone is no big deal, especially if you look at the current Android offerings. I certainly would not spend more than the $200 (minus what I can get for the Galaxy S used) I will be dishing out though. Its a good phone, but a tough upgrade to justify for most based on the current iPhone 4.
Fold for team #54196
Old October 5, 2011, 05:54 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Personally, I think this goes to show how desperate some people are about owning the latest Apple device. From an unbiased media perspective, this is nothing but a massive cash grab on Apple's part as the "4S" brings absolutely nothing new to the table other than a bump in processing power. Most of the improvements are iOS related and should be available for the iPhone 4 as well. Plus, with current and upcoming ARM chips, TI's new dual core (and supposedly tri core) architecture, Samusng's Exynos and NVIDIA's Kal El, this thing is already underpowered and will be thoroughly outclassed in less than three months.

As for the exterior, I can see why they didn't fix what isn't broken but personally, I would have liked to see some changes to the finishes. The iPhone 4 is a horribly fragile device and that needs to change IMO.

With all of that being said, it does look like a good phone that's a tad overpriced. I can see this being an excellent option for someone who DOESN'T currently own an iPhone 4 but if you have a 4 and go out and buy one of these, you've been drinking Apple's cool aid for a bit too long...
Old October 5, 2011, 06:20 AM
Allstar

I beg to differ on a few points. The 1GHz ARM Cortex-A8 vs the new Dual-core 1GHz A5 processor with dual-core graphics is a big step as is the 1080p HD video capability. I also like the built in video stabilizatiion...all this coupled with the new OS and Icloud is a winner in my books. Still glad I sold off my phone at a fair price since my cash outlay still leverages me per cost BUT...you are right at the cost...crazy if you are paying full pop.

What apple and android are very smart in implementing - and to some extent Amazon, with there Kindle below cost; is locking in customers to purchased software that is not transferrable to any other device.

Apple has the upper hand in being able to make huge profits on the hardware as well as the software ... for now.

Really feel sorry for Rim..the last baskin of short term growth is in India until they establish a proper 3G network.

What really saddens me is the inevitable demise of Nintendo, they will have no choice but to start selling there key games on both Android and Apple phones. My 9 year old is already asking me for an ipod touch !

At the end of the day, the Apple phone is easier to sell on the market vs the Android or Blackberry.

CHEERS
Old October 5, 2011, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark View Post
I beg to differ on a few points. The 1GHz ARM Cortex-A8 vs the new Dual-core 1GHz A5 processor with dual-core graphics is a big step
On paper it is. In reality, zero current iOS apps have capabilities to take advantage of a dual core processor. Unfortunately, the uptake on dual core supporting apps will likely be very, very slow at first due to developers wanting the largest market for their apps. By the time there are enough worthwhile dual core apps out there, the iPhone 5 will be out.

Quote:
as is the 1080p HD video capability. I also like the built in video stabilizatiion...
How is this so great? Do you really think a 1080P cell phone video will look any different from one shot in 720P? The operative words here are "CELL PHONE VIDEO". As for the video stabilization; it is done through software rather than hardware so it isn't any different from the various apps like Video Stiller which do the exact same thing for the standard iPhone 4.

Quote:
At the end of the day, the Apple phone is easier to sell on the market vs the Android or Blackberry.
I'll agree with this. The Android market is far too fragmented and while I am bananas about by new Bold 9900, I can't see the current RIM offerings appealing to the growing populace who wants a status symbol rather than a functional mobile device.
Old October 5, 2011, 07:11 AM
MVP
F@H

I wonder if the 4S will require a bumper, or be held a certain way to prevent calls from dropping? hehe

I'm with SKY on this one. Apple's focus has been on creating sheep, making these incremental upgrades almost criminal IMO... particularly considering that their hardware continues to be inferior when compared to the rest of the market.

WORK KANG: Silverstone SG03 | EVGA x58 Micro w/ 920 @ 4.2Ghz | Sapphire 5970 | 12GB Dominator DDR3-2000 | 240GB Revodrive X2 | SilverStone ST650F
MINI KANG: BitFenix Prodigy | Asus P8Z77i Deluxe mITX w/ 2600K @ 4.5Ghz | EVGA GTX 680 2GB | 8GB Vengeance DDR3-1866 | 2x Intel 160GB SSD | Corsair AX650
KANGZILLA: Custom MM Ascension | SR-2 | 2x X5650 | 2x SilverStone ST1000F | 2x Intel 160GB SSD | 15x 120mm rads | Under construction...

Old October 5, 2011, 07:24 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

The only reason I might end up with a 4S is because my 3GS is getting old and I may sell it while it's still worth something and working properly.

Even then... I may end up with a Galaxy II S instead, i'll see.
Old October 5, 2011, 08:34 AM
Allstar

Good points SKY. At the end of the day, the sheep on either devices we buy tend to set us in a box for purchased content transferance. All these companies are very astute in enclosing the parameters of choice since the apps tend to be device specific. As you mentioned, the resell of the Apple will continue to be stronger for sometime.

Question. Does the 'software' stabilization work for picture taking as well ?

Skyllz - sell me your iphone 3...I'll give it to my kid - $50 ?

CHEERS
Old October 5, 2011, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark View Post
Question. Does the 'software' stabilization work for picture taking as well ?
No idea but I believe the app I mentioned above works for both video and still images.
Old October 5, 2011, 09:02 AM
Hall Of Fame

Apple vs Android is really based more off of customer education.

My gf was looking to upgrade her aging old phone to something new and wanted a Smartphone. She knows I despise Iphones and how useless they are and got her to buy a Nexus S. Now she is still learning to use the phone but I tell you she was a very happy person when I put Swype onto her phone.