Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   iPhone & iPods (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/iphone-ipods/)
-   -   iPhone5/4S to be released October 4: [Globe and Mail] (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/iphone-ipods/46751-iphone5-4s-released-october-4-globe-mail.html)

chrisk September 27, 2011 08:58 AM

iPhone5/4S to be released October 4: [Globe and Mail]

Looks like October 4 can be confirmed as the launch date for the new iPhone:
Quote:

Apple’s new CEO Tim Cook is inviting the media to attend an iPhone launch event on Oct. 4, according to reports from news services and technology blogs who have received invites to the event.

Using the subject line ‘Let’s talk iPhone’ the press release invited reporters to the company headquarters in Cupterino, California, most likely to announce the long-rumoured iPhone 5.

‘Let’s talk iPhone’ Apple invite to Oct. 4 event says - The Globe and Mail

As much as I dislike Apple, I love my iPhone 4 and like using it over the Galaxy S my wife has. I'll probably take a look at the iPhone 5 this November when I can upgrade (and give my wife my iPhone 4).

Rumours right now are an upscale iPhone 5, with a scaled-down iPhone 4S to compete with lower-priced Android handsets. The '4S' might not come until this winter though.

SKYMTL September 27, 2011 09:27 AM

I think that was pretty obvious from the moment Telus, Bell, Rogers, etc began offering $50 rebates on the iPhone 4 which run until October 3rd.

As for the iPhone, I won't support a company that uses egregious numbers of lawsuits based upon vague patents to stifle competition regardless of how good the software is.

chrisk September 27, 2011 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SKYMTL (Post 552443)
I think that was pretty obvious from the moment Telus, Bell, Rogers, etc began offering $50 rebates on the iPhone 4 which run until October 3rd.

As for the iPhone, I won't support a company that uses egregious numbers of lawsuits based upon vague patents to stifle competition regardless of how good the software is.

Yeah that is a shame about the lawsuits. Gets even more annoying when the fanboiz jump in.

I gave up trying to buy 'ethical' electronics long ago as charges of bullying can be levied against most market leaders unfortunately (ie. Microsoft). The hope is that the rest of the industry continues to take Apple out to the lawsuit alley and smacks them around a bit and they all learn to play nice.

Neolithium_Wpg September 27, 2011 10:12 AM

I'm far too happy with Android and my Nexus S now to even consider switching back.

Skyllz September 27, 2011 10:17 AM

Been considering making the switch once my 3GS bites the dust.

I have to say however that the iPhone did force the other companies to get off their ass and come out with good products.

Jonesy September 27, 2011 10:42 AM

Sure they did, but they don't have to go about business by trying to monopolize the smart phone market by tossing out lawsuits at any company that has a rectangle smart phone / tablet and calling the shape a patent. (yes, I know that isn't the case, but it sure seems like that...the looks of Galaxy Tab too much like the Ipad...srsly apple, how else are you supposed to shape a 10.1" tablet?)

Inik September 27, 2011 11:11 AM

thinking of switching too when my 3GS dies. So many different model now! I would like to customize my phone :)

geokilla September 27, 2011 11:20 AM

Galaxy S is crap when it's on the stock ROM. Flash a custom ROM and you'll have a second opinion on it.

Sagath September 27, 2011 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by geokilla (Post 552479)
Galaxy S is crap when it's on the stock ROM. Flash a custom ROM and you'll have a second opinion on it.

I get this comment, and its not ment to be a personal attack against anyone at all, but I find it just as humorous when people use the opposite excuse against apple products and how 'locked in' you are.

Android products work great...after you mod them? :doh:

eh. To each their own, but I love my iphone over my wifes galaxy s also. Sure its jailbroken, but I guess that just means it has a custom firmware on it in android-speak :haha:

ipaine September 27, 2011 04:38 PM

I might look at the iphone 5 when I can upgrade the 3gs I have. But the only reason is that work pays for it and if it wasn't for that I would not even consider the iphone. Like Sky I just can't stand the company.