Go Back   Hardware Canucks > Mac, iPhone & iPod > iPhone & iPods

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 30, 2011, 10:06 AM
Rookie

Exclamation iTunes Question

Hey.
I have my itunes music organized into 2 folders, one I ripped off my iPod so its in ipod format, and labels (for songs) like BSQP and I can't understand them. The other is organized nicely into folders for the bands.
So my question,
Whenever I have to import my itunes tracks (reformating and such) I have to spend hours on end deleting duplicates, and removing songs I don't want (that were probs. from the iPod format folder).
Is there a way to make the itunes library organize itself and clear this up for me?
Old August 30, 2011, 10:22 AM

My System Specs

Your best bet would to just use a single iTunes library/folder. Then have iTunes organize it for you.
What I am going to tell you below is for an Apple computer, but Windows should be pretty similar. Go in to the iTunes preferences and make sure Keep iTunes Media folder organized and Copy files to iTunes Media folder when adding to library are both checked.

Then under File, Library, Organize Library. Make sure consolidate library is checked. And check reorganize files in the folder "iTunes" if you can. Click OK. This will copy and organize all your iTunes library in to folders.

After it is done you can click File, View duplicates and it will show all of the songs that it believes are duplicates. Then just delete the ones you want.
Old August 30, 2011, 10:23 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

There should be a display duplicates option under file, it should work as long as the metadata for your songs is correct. Otherwise I would just suggest using foobar2000.

EDIT: ninja'd
Old August 30, 2011, 10:25 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilya View Post
There should be a display duplicates option under file, it should work as long as the metadata for your songs is correct. Otherwise I would just suggest using foobar2000.

EDIT: ninja'd
Yes I know, but you still have to select every other song. and I have over 12 gigs of duplicates :(

Alright Lowfat, ill try that. thanks!
Old August 30, 2011, 11:03 AM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by PH93 View Post
Yes I know, but you still have to select every other song. and I have over 12 gigs of duplicates :(

Alright Lowfat, ill try that. thanks!
12GB of duplicates

O boi. That would take a long time to delete individually. After you have the library consolidated you may be able to find other software that could get rid of the duplicates.
Old August 30, 2011, 12:19 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
12GB of duplicates

O boi. That would take a long time to delete individually. After you have the library consolidated you may be able to find other software that could get rid of the duplicates.
I have a script now ;3
Old August 31, 2011, 12:46 AM
MVP

My System Specs

My problem with the Itunes select duplicates option is it can't tell the difference between title of song and type...ie mixed version, live version ect.

Your 12gb might be of tracks you want to keep.

What I do (on a PC) is have all my songs (currently around 200gigs) in one folder with artists in subs.

When loading my library fresh, like recently after I did a new OS clean install, I add my library about 10 gigs at a time (A artiste, then B artists) reason being I find If I add too much at once Itunes skips/misses files/songs.

Whenever I add a new album/artist/song I simply add the specific file, not the whole library.
Old September 2, 2011, 10:45 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Try this program: Remove iTunes Duplicates, Fix Misspellings, add Album Art | Rinse
I had around 6gb of duplicated music? it doesn't work the first time, it'll take 3 times but it saves you hours of manual configuration!

Corsair 550d
Intel i5 Quad Core 2500k @4ghz
GTX 570
Asus
Corsair HX 750W
G.Skill sniper 2x4GB
OCZ Agility Series 60GB SSD